Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 2:45pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « How American Idol Should Have Worked. »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   The Idols Shows
   American Idol
(Moderators: lakelady, Isle_be_back)
   How American Idol Should Have Worked.
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How American Idol Should Have Worked.  (Read 294 times)
geraldsmith
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

How American Idol Should Have Worked.
« on: Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Guys,

I am glad they eventually changed the cutoff to Top 10 or tour in Season 12. But there are a myriad of problems with the Season 1-11 cutoffs:
Seasons 4-6 used the green mile as a cutoff instead of the live shows.
I mentioned before that the 2007 seasons of these kind of shows were too much of a popularity contest. The cutoff was changed to Top 10 or tour 6 years after that, quite a long time.
Even when the cutoff changed in Season 7 and Season 12, it didn't seem to retroactively apply to previous seasons.
Seasons 1-3, 8, and 10-11 had mass slaughters. The worst of those was in Season 8, with a cut from Top 36 to Top 13.
All of Seasons 1-11 had unlimited phone voting.
Season 9 was the worst season (the Top 24 and Top 16 eliminations were the worst), and it was also Simon Cowell's last season.
Season 10 had a very diverse cast and had the mass slaughter, but the Top 24 cutoff still remained.
Season 11 is considered the last of the "good" seasons, but it's also the last season with the old cutoff.
If the Top 10 or tour cutoff began in Season 1, 236 contestants from Seasons 1-11 (minus a few from the tour) would be eligible for later seasons. And, quite several of these were eliminated too early in the season they were on.
Since 11 out of 15 seasons used the old cutoff, that's 73%, which is most of the run. The Top 10 or tour cutoff therefore came quite late in the run.
Since the cutoff didn't appear to retroactively apply to previous seasons, that's why I think the cutoff should have just been Top 10 or tour from the very beginning. However, Chase Likens from Season 11 did re-audition for Season 14. Maybe the Top 10 or tour cutoff was retroactive, but it didn't appear like it was.

If American Idol is ever rebooted, I hope that they will continue to use the Top 10 or tour cutoff. That was one of the best things to happen to the show, even though it started pretty late in the run.

About Me:
I'm new in this forum, I am a consultant and have worked with multiple firms
You can check Landing page video one of my work.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.