Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:49pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Lex Sez: »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Lex Sez:
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lex Sez:  (Read 902 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Lex Sez:
« on: May 18th, 2002, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2002/May/18/style/stories/03sty le.htm

May 18, 2002  

LeX Sez: Which ‘Survivor’ will go all the way?
Editor’s note: Lex van den Berghe is off to attend the season finale of "Survivor" in New York. In the Sentinel next Tuesday, Lex’s wife, Kelly van den Berghe, will fill in with her impression of "Survivor’s" big ending.

In an episode that felt like a setup for the season finale, things heated up on Nuku Hiva, as the tribe was whittled down to its Final Four.  

Sean Rector, the volatile, in-your-face Harlem schoolteacher, was ejected from the tribe after "Survivor’s" ugliest tribal council to date.

This tribal council was unlike any I’ve ever seen. Jeff Probst typically keeps tight reins on the proceedings. The vibe is always that of a solemn courtroom, and Jeff, as the judge, wields absolute power. He asks the questions and you speak when you’re spoken to.

Not so this week. Jeff only had to ask one question before the solemnity of tribal council erupted into a free-for-all bicker-fest that was hard to watch.  

Jeff lit the fuse to the fireworks, stepped back and enjoyed the show. And it all went down in front of the watchful eyes of the jury — it was delicious.

All Jeff had to do was ask Kathy if she planned to give away her immunity status to someone else, and tribal council turned to pandemonium. After a whole season of nothing, "Survivor" finally enjoyed return on investment from its new keep-or-give-away-immunity rule.

Kathy was in the eye of the storm, sitting still while the other four players frantically lobbied for immunity like mongrel dogs fighting over a bone. Even the normally mild-mannered Pappy got huffy and showed a bit of his dark side. Everyone’s true colors shined when the dust settled.

The rest of the episode was benign and lackluster. Sean kicked everyone’s butt in the reward challenge and got a new car out of the deal. Of course, he profusely thanked his personal bro’ Jesus Christ, "through which all things are possible."

One other event worth mentioning was the bizarre meeting of the Final Five, when they decided it might be a good idea to talk openly about strategies and alliances around the campfire.

Huh?  

What in the hell are these folks thinking? I thought I was watching "Survivor," but it turned into Oprah Winfrey meets Jerry Springer.

I watched in slack-jawed wonder as Sean, Pappy, Vee, Neleh and Kathy laid everything out for each other, like poker players openly discussing each other’s hands before placing a wager.

Unbelievable.

The immunity challenge was story time with Jeff, followed by a pop quiz. Contestants were questioned about Marquesan history, and each correct answer was rewarded with a tiki statue. First player with five tikis wins immunity.

In a peculiar repeat of my own story-challenge nightmare in Africa, both Neleh and Kathy carelessly dropped one of their five tikis as they raced to claim victory.  

I remember the horrible feeling of getting to the finish, only to have Jeff point out that I was missing one of the leather straps, and I had to go back and find it. Kathy was the first to find her lost tiki and clinch immunity.

Now let’s talk strategy, Final Four and predictions for the finale.

At this point of the game, it’s a bittersweet, bizarre mixture of conflicting emotions and sensations. On the one hand, you’re so happy to have made it to the Final Four (the first major milestone goal) that everything else is gravy.

But having made it to the Final Four, you want the victory all the more. The Final Two is so close you can taste it. There are only three days left in the whole game, and you’ve made it so far — losing now becomes unthinkable.

Add to that, the utter exhaustion that comes with being in such a physically challenging game as "Survivor" for over a month. Words cannot paint an accurate picture of how you feel after 36 days of malnutrition, dehydration, hard physical labor and athletic challenges.

I remember feeling so depleted and out of it that even getting up from a seated position was a chore. A simple walk was like slogging chest-deep through mud. Dizziness, fatigue and disorientation colored everything.

Paschal is showing the most obvious signs of being physically done with the game. Not only does he seem spent, but his wits appear to be dulling as well. One look at Pappy and you can see that the lights are on, but no-one’s home.

Everyone seems to be in a fog, shuffling around and bumping into things like zombies.

One other thing on everyone’s mind at this stage is the end. These people have been cut off from their families, friends and lives for over a month. No matter what happens, they’re only days away from eating as much food as they want and going home to their loved ones.

With that said, who will fare best these last three crucial days?  

I don’t think it’s looking too good for Ole Judge Pappy. Not only is he on his last leg physically, but he’s probably not a good person to have next to you in the Final Two.  

If I were playing, I’d get rid of him now simply because he may have too many fans in the jury.

Neleh has irritated enough folks in the jury, with her many faces and constant smugness, that she’d be a good choice for a Final Two partner.

Vecepia has one very big advantage in this game. She’s been unobtrusive since the get-go. In Survivor-speak this is "flying under-the-radar." Historically, this strategy has proven nearly foolproof, and Vee has been so inconspicuous she’s been almost invisible.

The under-the-radar strategy, though, is one I just can’t stomach. Making yourself small so no one will notice you, or catching a piggyback ride on someone else to the end, is a weak way to win "Survivor."

I think this game is Kathy’s to lose. She was the linchpin of everyone’s game plan this week, and she’s still in great shape going into the final episode.

And you have to give props to somebody who’s managed to make it through 36 days in the game of "Survivor" without a single alliance. She’s been playing this thing solo the entire time. As tough as it is to last that way, you have to give her credit for making it this far. She played a hard game without jettisoning her integrity, and she won more challenges than anyone else.

Here’s how I’d love it all to play out: Pappy goes next. Then an all-girl Final Three for the first time ever. Kathy wins final immunity and takes Neleh with her to the Final Two. Jury awards Kathy the title of Ultimate Survivor.

Lex van den Berghe is a Santa Cruz local who spent last summer playing "Survivor: Africa." When he’s not out looking for work, chances are you’ll find him hanging with his family, catching a surf, or playing with his band Luckydog.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: Lex Sez:
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2002, 9:46am »

May 21, 2002  

Lex’s wife weighs in on ‘Survivor’ finale
By KELLY VAN DEN BERGHE
Special to the Sentinel

Editor’s note: Columnist and ex- "Survivor" player Lex van den Berghe was on location in New York for the season finale, so his wife, Kelly, stepped in to give us the lowdown on the showdown.

Oh my — Vee won. And much to my disappointment, Kathy did not. This final episode brought back so many memories. I remember what it was like waiting for the Africa finale and the excitement of it all.  

I remember the van ride to CBS, walking down the red carpet, and waiting with the families of Big Tom, Kim J and Ethan to see who would bring home the big purse.

Well, it wasn’t Lex.  

Even though I feel he played the game the best, the fates gave it to somebody else: beloved Ethan.  

This is why I had such high hopes for Kathy, even though she really bugged me at first.  

She was over-emotional and bossy. She didn’t fit in with her tribe. But she worked hard. She came through when her tribemates needed her.  

She even came to John’s aid by doing what I think was the greatest reality TV moment: peeing on his hand when he got stung by an urchin.  

Kathy really played a good game. She went all the way to the Final Three without a known alliance.  

I can’t think of anyone else in "Survivor" history who has done that.

But like Lex, the fates were not on her side.  

We start out this last episode on Day 37:  

Kathy is feeling remorseful about voting off Sean.  

Pappy stumbles around like a zombie, and Neleh feels really spunky and close to Kathy because she didn’t vote her out.

Vee hangs out, probably praying somewhere or having a vision about how she would spend her million dollars.

Tree mail is delivered, and the how-well-do-you-know-the-survivors games is on.

(I personally hate this game due to one piercing question that was asked in Africa, but I may be a bit bitter.)

As Kathy, Pappy and Neleh quiz each other in another idiotic move to help each other out, Vee kicks back and studies her journal. Girlfriend did her homework and becomes the proud owner of a much-needed immunity necklace.  

Kathy makes a ‘don’t vote for me and I won’t vote for you’ play, to which Vee agrees. The votes are tied at 2 Kathy, 2 Neleh.

The tie-breaker is different this time around: Either you change your vote or play the game of chance by picking a colored rock from a bag. If you are the unlucky one to grab a purple rock, your fire is snuffed and you get yourself a seat on the jury.

Which is exactly where ol’ Pappy finds himself, and we get an all-girl Final Three.

Next up is the wake-up call by Jeff Probst where he should have shouted, "All aboard the cheese train," because from this point on it is nothing but cheesy.

The girls assemble an outrigger canoe and leave for a typical survivor adventure to reflect and soak in the Marquesan experience.  

I wish this would come across better on TV, but it just doesn’t.  

The power puff girls paint themselves in what is supposed to look like Marquesan tattoos. Then they perform a ritual cleansing, which comes across like a teenage girl slumber party where they have pillow fights in their bras.  

Next comes the hike to the torches of survivors past (the ones who got booted before them). Then the final standing-on-a-stump torture challenge.

Things are still looking pretty good for my girl Kathy. She is a strong competitor. But after four hours, Neleh tells Kathy that her boobs are hanging out; and in an attempt to fix her top, she falls off the stump.  

Kathy, why didn’t you let those girls hang free? You peed on a guy’s hand for heck’s sake.

Vee seizes the opportunity to strike a deal with Neleh to take her to the Final Two and totally kicks Kathy to the curb. The deal is made, and they hop off the stumps. Neleh sports her new necklace, and at tribal council Kathy is voted out.

The last half hour drags out as we wait to see which way the jury will go. Both Vee and Neleh have lied and backstabbed all the people on the jury, so it is a guessing game of who they will vote for.  

Tammy says it best when she tells them neither of them deserve to win the money, that they are hypocrites and that Kathy should win. I totally agree.  

Vee and Neleh plead their case, and the voting begins. After Jeff goes to tally the votes, he offers us a heaping helping of cheese by hitching a ride on a helicopter. He magically appears in New York and hails a cab to Central Park, where the finale is being held.  

Votes are read, and Vee is victorious. She falls off her seat and thanks her God, which may or may not be Mark Burnett. But let me hear an Amen! Hallelujah.

And the cheese just keeps coming.

Rosie hosts the wrap-up show. I might think she does a better job of hosting if I wasn’t so disgusted with how she totally disses "Survivor: Africa."

Once she hands the cast of "Survivor: Marquesas" keys to brand new Saturn Vues, I am overcome with anger for her. OK, maybe it is extreme jealousy and disappointment that we didn’t get a big rosie prize — but whatever it is, I hope someday I will get over it.  

I offer congratulations to Vecepia on winning Survivor 4 and Neleh for runner-up. They may have not been my favorites to win, but they were luckier than the rest.
IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: Lex Sez:
« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2002, 11:34am »

amen...neither were my favorite castaways either...

but then again, i liked gabe, kathy, rob and sean.  it seems to me that they didn't show the women in a positive light this game and maybe this was to throw us off their scent.

e.g.  tammy was mainly shown with that sullen look on her face.  vee was the no drama church lady, zoe (who the heck was zoe?), kathy (how many times did people vote her off before she left?), sarah (boobies), patricia (overbearing), gina (not bad) and neleh (way too nicey nice).
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.