Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:42am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Interview with Kathy »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Interview with Kathy
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interview with Kathy  (Read 580 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Interview with Kathy
« on: Jul 17th, 2002, 1:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://pub116.ezboard.com/frealitytvtalkfrm84.showMessage?topicID=51.top ic  

Survivor 4: An Interview with Kathy O'Brien  
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------  
I recently contacted Kathy O'Brien, contestant on Survivor 4: Marquesas (and widely considered to be the fan favorite), and asked if she would grant RealityTVTalk.com an interview. To my delight, she graciously consented. Here's the interview, in full:  

You "grew" more than anyone else in the game. How were you able to turn an initially negative situation into such a positive one? You must realize you got off to a very rough start with the group. Was there any conscious action you took to right the ship, so to speak? What specific changes in behavior did you employ early on to deflect attention from yourself?  

In the beginning, I was surprised to feel how difficult it was not to have any food or clean water. I felt the tribe didn't realize the importance of it either. It was somewhat surreal out there having camera crews around, and yet have nothing, so I think the tribe didn't jump on the more important issues until it became critical - like fire for water, shelter. Once I felt secure having the basics - Maslow's Theory - I felt confortable to start playing the game and connecting with the people. But you have to understand, it's real out there, the physical struggle, and finding food and surviving often replaced the game playing for many of my tribemates. I made a clear decision to adapt to the environment and the people on the 4-5th day and I actually enjoyed it and learned that connecting in an honest open manner was rewarding.  

The contrast between the spirit in the two original tribes was very pronouced. What made Rotu forge into such a tight unit?  

Interesting, and the producers found it interesting also - we had less, so we bonded more. It's that simple. But we also had a group of hard working ethical people. The game confused many down the road and ethics were questioned and sometimes thrown away. I never considered Survivor a game as much as an experience of human relations and connection. And you know what? It is not a game as much as as strategic positioning of relationships.  

Yourself, Neleh and Paschal (and many of the viewers at home, undoubtedly) were very shocked to see Gabe get voted out. Was the reasoning behind that decision ever really explained to any of you after the merge?  

It was exactly what you saw - he simply didn't want to play. He had the chance to be strategic and chose not to do it.  

Did the coconut chopping game play out as blatantly as it appeared?  

Defintely. I held back because I saw that it was showing your hand, like playing cards. Very amazing. And the challenge was not specifically played due to the nature of where the game was heading. Again, the producers were very surprised also. That alliance totally exposed themselves.  

When you eliminated the General and wound up between the two pairs, you were really skating on thin ice. Did your son's arrival alter anything about your strategy? It seemed like you were on the verge of forming another "underdog" alliance with the General and possibly Sean. Was that something you were really considering or was it more the editing that make it look that way?  

I really did want to try to eliminate Paschal. I knew I had to split Paschal and Neleh at one point. But The General let his emotions rule his strategy and I knew I had to be quiet so he wouldn't tell Paschal my idea. And then, in the end, I couldn't break my word to the alliance that we were going to vote out the original alliance of Tammy, John, Zoe and Rob, and then we were to play every man for himself. Strategically, I would have been better eliminating Paschal at this point.  

Watching the show, it seemed as though the final six Survivors reached their lowest ebb at pretty much the same point. Was there a specific time when you felt the mood in the camp had changed or deteriorated to such an extent that it was felt by everyone? Were you forced to surpass any limitations you felt you had, and if so where did you find the reserves of strength to do it?  

Definitely 1 day after the family members left. As much as we only had under 7 days left in the game, usually in life when you're waiting for a specific time it seems like eternity. Then add a starving body and depleted mind. Time was crawling. I specifically went out of camp, out to this point of land into the ocean where I gathered shells and covered my entire body with sand to get way from the continual swarm of insects. I would pull the buff over my face and try to meditate. Gathering food was too tiring and sitting on the beach was too hot. I would then get up and say, "Shake it off and keep going." It was tough. Frequent trips to the waterfall also helped!  

Did you watch any of the previous versions of Survivor? If so how did this one compare in terms of difficulty and physical hardships?  

I only watched the last 6 of Australia and a few of Africa - they all looked about the same. But staying in that boma in Africa would have been the toughest.  

I'm sure you've been asked this many times, but what are your thoughts on Vee going against her word and picking Neleh to go to the final instead of you? Also, do you think Neleh tried to disrupt your concentration intentionally with the whole shirt comment?  

I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes when my world is rocked by someone, no matter what the subject. I don't think I could have done what Vee did without asking her first. It would have been simple to pull me over and tell me what she was about to do. So for both girls I just think their way of handling all issues could have been more personal, since this game of Survivor is about relations. That's all I was looking for. Vee was smart. I had most of the jury - but I was still floored that my deal was totally thrown out the window without a conversation first.  
But, we have explained it all now and our relationship is fine.  

Were there any friendships or bonds between the tribemates that the show didn't really show or explore? Was there anyone that you didn't like at first who you began to like more as time went on? Who do you still keep in touch with now that the whole thing is over?  

Tammy and The General were definitely people that I couldn't warm up to in the beginning and now we're good friends.  

Were there any omitted incidents or comments you would have liked the producers to have included?  

No - I think they did an amazing job. Once in awhile they overdid some of the drama about who was getting voted off. We said what we said, we did what we did. The camera doesn't lie.  

If you could do it all over again, is there anything you would do differently?  

I think that I would be even more strategic and stick to my gut, and less personal feelings. I would still play with fairness and integrity but I would push it up a  
couple of notches with the thinking part!!  

I noticed that 99% of the time the contestants looked "camera ready" and although they looked a little unkempt, no one had big bags under their eyes, etc... Did the show have make up people doing touch ups for the on-camera "confessionals"?  

That's so funny - absolutely not!! God, I remember when I had numerous bags under my eyes!! And how about Paschal? Even gorgeous Gina looked tired. We received no special handling, except a towel once in a while before tribal to dry off the area where the remote mikes were placed. Otherwise they gaves us nothing and did not talk to us, other then Jeff and questions from the producers. It was extremely REAL and they filmed with the utmost integrity. Mark Burnett raises the bar on this show and does it well.  

What did you think of the jury questions? Do you feel like anyone wasted an opportunity to ask a really good question?  

Yes. I wish I had more time to detox. I was absolutely wasted and sad that I lost. I think if we had just a little more time to digest and think.....but that last day went fast.  

Did your opinion of Rob and/or Sean change after watching the show and hearing them talk about women? Were you surprised by anything you saw on tv?  

Yes - some of the race issues were a surprise. The comments about the women didn't surprise me - those guys are pretty opinionated.  

What did you learn about yourself from this experience and have you been able to carry those lessons through into your everyday life?  

I'll be updating my Real Foundation site - it's all there. I used a good portion of my own funds to set up this foundation based on what happened out there. Check it out. I also have an article breaking in TV Guide on the 20th of July that you will enjoy, and future articles that I wrote will be coming out in major magazines. And they're all about the experience and the self awareness that I received!  

There is talk about an "All-Star" Survivor in the works. Would you like to be a part of it and/or would you participate if asked?  

I would do it in a heartbeat. I like competition. And I want to try this again and win!  

What are you up to now?  

The Foundation. Real estate to pay the bills. Another new business - R3ignite.com - where we want to take corporate managers and individuals through a similar outdoor experience and shake up their lives. I'm joining forces with a friend that does Eco-Challenge and we're out selling this experience this month. It's very exciting. And then maybe in the future.....a short stint in The Peace Corps.  

Can you tell us about "The Real Foundation"?  

The Foundation is totally about shaking up your world if your life is not rewarding enough. We all have the power, but in today's culture, it's difficult to show your true self. But that in itself will get you ahead. Discover your real self and admit who you are. Admit your shortcomings, take down some of those protective walls and show people your weak side. Push yourself physically and challenge yourself physically and your confidence will improve. And your mistakes will decrease, especially if you connect with people honestly and openly.  
Visit the site - I love our site. We will be taking online donations this week once the TV Guide article breaks. We will distribute the monies through non-profit based organizations to help women who have a fire in their belly to improve themselves but are continually running up against roadblocks. And they need better self confidence to conquer their problems. Their over-all well being will be improved with counselling and bringing them through outdoor expereinces where they can physically be rewarded and view their world from a different angle and realize they can change it!!  

Special thanks to Kathy for sharing her thoughts and comments with us. Please visit her website www.kathyobrien.com, for more information about The Real Foundation.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.