Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:54pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Paschal finds out if Judges can appear in Adverts »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Paschal finds out if Judges can appear in Adverts
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Paschal finds out if Judges can appear in Adverts  (Read 575 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Paschal finds out if Judges can appear in Adverts
« on: Jul 17th, 2002, 8:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
'Survivor' Judge Fuels an Ethics Debate

Jonathan Ringel
Fulton County Daily Report
07-16-2002

Judge Paschal A. English Jr. was savvy and likable enough to become one of the final four contestants on the CBS reality show "Survivor: Marquesas." Now that "Pappy," as he was known on the show, is back on the Fayette County, Ga., bench, a question has come up as to whether judicial ethics canons prevent him from cashing in on his newfound celebrity status.  

English has signed an endorsement deal with Atlanta Gas Light Co. to promote -- on television, radio, newspapers and the sides of MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) buses -- the benefits of barbecuing with natural gas.  

The ads say "Pappy Doesn't Do Propane" and show English in a tropical setting wearing a floppy cap, holding a sign that says "Propane" with a circle and a slash through the middle of the word.  

Nowhere do the ads mention that Pappy is a judge, and officials at Atlanta Gas Light and the ad agency that created the campaign say their interest in English was his celebrity, not his judicial position.  

But two legal ethics professors suggest English's endorsement may run afoul of judicial canons. A third expert disagreed, saying the ads likely pass ethical tests. English rejected criticism, noting he cleared his appearance on "Survivor" with his chief judge and two state appellate court jurists whom he declined to name.  

As for the ads, English said, "I wasn't asked to do that as a result of being a judge," but as a former "Survivor."  

To be sure, Atlanta Gas Light is not the only company to capitalize on English's celebrity. The Daily Report purchased a CBS photograph of English in the Marquesas Islands to use on the front page of its Daily Report Dozen special edition last month. The theme of the edition was how Georgia law firms survived the year during a recession.  

The Daily Report did not pay Judge English.  

The full story can be found at http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1024078993757

along with this charming picture of Paschal in his robes:

IP Logged
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: Paschal finds out if Judges can appear in Adve
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 8:49am »

Addams, I'd love to hear your opinion of this from an ethical point.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 9:51am »

on Jul 17th, 2002, 8:49am, crypto wrote:
Addams, I'd love to hear your opinion of this from an ethical point.
 I think it creates the appearance of possible bias.  Even if in this specific case the person is not likely to be biased.  I think that if a case came up involving a company that he did work for or was paid by then he would have to decline to hear that case.

It's a bit of a slippery slope and that's why it would be best if judges are not paid by other sources except to be judges.  

As an aside, the US Supreme Court has indicated that Federal Court US judges are entitled to pay raises.  Simply put, US Federal Court judges are leaving the profession in droves for more lucrative private practices.  It's hard to be a judge.  In certain professions you must adhere to standards that are higher than the average person.  

IP Logged
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 10:08am »

My father is an attorney and I know that he would frown upon this, regardless of Pappy's celebrity.  Dad is from the old school and he even frowns on lawyers advertising on TV and the radio.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.