Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:51am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Crispy pig innards - hmmmmm »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Crispy pig innards - hmmmmm
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crispy pig innards - hmmmmm  (Read 340 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Crispy pig innards - hmmmmm
« on: Oct 5th, 2002, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's an article about some of the favourite dishes sold at the famous Hawker stands in Thailand.  some of the dishes sound like they might make a good gross foods challenge.  This story is from the October 6, 2002 edition of the Strait Times http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/storyprintfriendly/0,1887,147396,00.htm l?

Tiong Bahru hawkers set up temp site

TIONG Bahru market and food centre hawkers are digging into their own pockets to raise $1.2 million for a temporary outlet.

Their well-established centre closes for renovations in July next year, a project which will take about 18 months.

If the hawkers do not take it upon themselves to build a temporary centre, they will not have an outlet for their produce, and dishes like their well-known versions of chwee kuay, char kway teow and porridge with crispy pig innards.

The 50-year-old market and food centre at Blocks 83 and 84A, Lim Liak Street, is being rebuilt so that the operators will have bigger stalls and better ventilation, and be under the same roof.

The refurbishment is part of the Government's Hawker Centres Upgrading Programme (HUP) and the new premises will be handed over to the 400-odd hawkers for free.

More than 350 of them have banded together to set up shop nearby.

With the help of Mr Koo Tsai Kee, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for National Development and Tiong Bahru's grassroots adviser, they have secured a 6,000 sq m plot at the junction of Tiong Bahru Road and Kim Pong Road, a five-minute walk away.

Their temporary premises will be built on the site of two blocks of old rental flats that will be demolished at the end of this year.  

There will be four 'blocks' of stalls with running water, gas cookers and toilets.

Two blocks will sell cooked food, one will serve as the wet market and the other will be for retail stalls and those selling dried foods.

Construction will begin around February.

The head of the Tiong Bahru Market Committee, Mr Hiew Kee Boon, said that each stallholder would contribute between $3,500 and $5,000 towards the new place, paying the cost in instalments of about $350 to $500 a month.

Fruit seller Nai Yong Chew, 43, said: 'As we won't be paying rent at the temporary site, this will be like rent for that period. So it balances out.'

Said hawker Kee Cheng Chua, 51, who sells tow kwa pow (bean curd pockets): 'Closing for 18 months is really too long, so this is the only way to survive. I don't want my clients to run away.'

About 50 or so stallholders, most of whom are from the wet market, have decided to take a holiday or retire.

One of them is first-generation hawker Khoo Yu Hiong, 68, who has been selling coconuts since 1954.

He said: 'I'm going to give up my business. I've been doing this for so long; my two sons are all grown up and married. So, I can retire now.'  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.