Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:16pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Episode 5 Recaps »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Episode 5 Recaps
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Episode 5 Recaps  (Read 462 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Episode 5 Recaps
« on: Oct 18th, 2002, 12:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

From Entertainment Weekly - http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,365889~3~0~stephaniefiref ighterisput,00.html  

THURSDAY, October 17, 2002  

Cabbage Patch, Kids?  

Stephanie the firefighter is put out -- She's voted off in an episode where the most exciting moment is jumpin' Jan busting a move, says Dalton Ross  

Sorting fishHuh That was this week's big immunity challenge -- sorting freakin' fish? Man, that stunk, both literally and figuratively. Next to the old SOS helicopter challenges, this had to be the most boring immunity competition ever. And at least the SOS ones had people making fools of themselves by painting their bodies and walking around in thongs. All we got out of this was poor Stephanie shoving fish heads in her mouth. Did I mention it was BO-RING!  

Equally uninteresting was the food auction reward challenge. Now, when I talked to Mark Burnett this summer (nice name dropping, eh?), he promised me that every single challenge this season would be new. So what I'm telling you now is that Mark Burnett is a big fat liar. I don't care if people are spending $140 for a cold cheeseburger. I pay practically that much for one in midtown Manhattan every day for lunch.  

Yeah, all in all it was a pretty tame episode. You know things are moving slowly when the show's most exciting scene features 53-year-old Jan doing the cabbage patch and rapping ''See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!'' I just want to repeat this for emphasis: 53-year-old Jan was doing the cabbage patch and rapping ''See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!'' Truly surreal.  

The other supposed scintillating moment that CBS had been advertising all week was Robb being attacked in the water, yet in classic ''Survivor'' fashion, it ended up being basically nothing. Yes, the bite (or whatever it was) on Robb's foot looked pretty gnarly (or maybe I'm just squeamish), but homeboy was walking around two seconds later like nothing had happened. It certainly didn't seem to effect him in the fish tossing contest, although you knew before it even began that Sook Jai was going to lose. As any longtime ''Survivor'' fan knows, it's all in the editing. Once they showed that clip of Brian saying Jan would definitely go if they had to vote this week, then you knew that, well, Chuay Gahn would not lose, because if they did, that would make for the most anticlimactic tribal council ever. So this just made a lame immunity challenge even lamer in that there was never really any doubt as to the outcome.  

So, as a result, Stephanie is now gone. I can't say I'll miss her, seeing as how she basically had NO personality whatsoever, at least not one that came through on the show. I'm sure back in her natural habitat, she's a great gal, but Steffie just wasn't much fun to watch here (except when she was sticking fish heads in her mouth, of course). So, no great loss. Personally, I'm already looking forward to next week, as it looks like someone finally stands up to annoying skater Robb, when he and Ken go jawing at one another. Why, it may just have me up out of my chair doing the cabbage patch!  
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

Re: Episode 5 Recaps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2002, 1:02am »

Sook Jai Flunks Stephanie on 'Survivor: Thailand'
Fri, Oct 18, 2002 00:04 AM PDT  
by Rick Porter
Zap2it, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Remember back in elementary school when your report card graded you on your socialization skills as well as math and reading?

Well, Thursday night (Oct. 17) on "Survivor: Thailand," the Sook Jai tribe pretty much gave firefighter Stephanie Dill a frowny face in the "works well with others" category.

After the past two weeks of reward-challenge choking, sexual-harassment allegations and the like, there was little this episode could do to live up to the drama that built on the island. Relationships are more or less set, and we won't see a merge till a couple of weeks from now.

So what we were left with was a series of little dribs and drabs of action, which fortunately are well suited to a list.  

As in:
 Erin and Robb's reaction to how Shii Ann attacked the less conventional parts of the chicken Sook Jai killed and ate, including the neck, heart and other innards. They essentially gave a junior-highish "Ewww!" to the New Yorker. Jake, however, says Shii Ann's OK in his book because she pitches in and works.

Ted and Brian lazily tie up the Chuay Gahn boat, which drifts off to sea during the night, while the tribe sings Christmas carols. Amazingly, the bonehead move -- ranking right up there with the let's-build-our-camp-in-the-creek-bed brainlock from Australia in all-time "Survivor" screwups -- doesn't really affect the tribe. Not yet, anyway.

The reward challenge auction, which played on the contestants' serious hunger pangs and found them paying $200 for a hot fudge sundae, $320 for a plate of nachos and $400 for a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. Or, almost as much as the same items would cost you at some of L.A.'s hipper establishments. The much-teased offer to switch tribes was a bust, with no one willing to stick his or her neck out and move.

The fish-sorting contest that made up the immunity challenge, where several people carried the carcasses in their mouths to get them to the sorting bins. Chuay Gahn was a little quicker and won immunity, probably sparing Jan for at least another episode.

Robb's hilariously contradictory rationale for voting to boot Shii Ann. "You get on my nerves, and I don't like being around you," he told the camera about his tribemate, before adding, "It's nothing personal." Let's see: You get on my nerves, and I don't like being around you. Yeah, that's all business right there.

Speaking of Robb, this isn't really related to the game, but it's worth mentioning anyway. MTV's new series "FM Nation" decamped in Scottsdale, Ariz., in this week's episode. One of the groups of friends cameras followed consisted of four young women who were on a mission to "rule Scottsdale" and get guys to do things for them, because, they're, you know, hottie party gals, or something. Their antics included going topless at a Whataburger drive-through to get free food.

At the end of the show, a where-are-they-now graphic about one of them said she was now dating our boy Robb. And she's pretty much exactly what you might expect.

In the end, Stephanie's half-hearted efforts at joining the Sook Jai team proved too little, too late, and they sent her home. The best part of the end of the episode were the scenes from next week, which looks to feature a blowup between Ken and Robb and the Chuays' search for their boat. In other words, back to the drama.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2002, 1:04am »

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tv/episodefive.asp

Survivor: Thailand  
Episode Five: The Ocean's Surprise
By Dan Krovich

We open on Chuay Gahn as they return from tribal council after chew-ay Ghandia up and spitting her out. Clay is upset that Jan voted for him because he can't figure out why she would do that. (Maybe it's because he's condescending, lazy, willing to lay blame, not willing to take responsibility, and generally annoying.) Regardless, Jan seems like she will be the next Chuay Gahn tribe member to get the ax. Jan has a sneaking suspicion that Helen had changed her vote to Ghandia at the last minute, which proves that Jan can count to three.  

It wouldn't be Survivor without some PETA baiting, so today is the day that Sook Jai decides to turn their chicken into breakfast. So, early in the morning, Jake chokes his chicken - and then he and Stephanie go get one the poultry from the coop and break its neck. They boil the chicken, and the tribe has a feast, but Robb is concerned with Shii Ann's table etiquette. Apparently she's eating stuff like the lungs and intestines and neck and eating with her fingers. Because when you're on an island without much food - that's the time to be picky.  

The food situation at Chuay Gahn continues to deteriorate. Clay does his normal thorough food-gathering job and returns with one crab that I can only assume crawled up and jumped into the pot itself. Ted and Brian have no better luck fishing with their random floating around with the net hanging over the side of the boat, but they do solidify their alliance. Of course, the way Chuay Gahn's numbers are dwindling, it will likely be useless. When they bring in the boat we get a close-up of Ted tenuously tying the boat to a stick. It's called foreshadowing.  

Back at Sook Jai, after their meal, the tribe decides to go for a swim. I hope they waited thirty minutes. Da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, Robb is walking in the surf, da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, suddenly something attacks Robb, and he screams in agony and collapses under a wave. He is apparently in real pain and possible jeopardy. The rest of the tribe reacts with indifference. It's not until he makes his way to the beach that they decide to see what's the matter. Robb was apparently bit or stung by something, but thankfully no one has to urinate on him, as they go with a treatment of boiling his foot. Upon closer inspection, although he is bleeding, he seems to be carrying on way more than necessary. I can only imagine how much he yelled when he got all those piercings.  

Apparently someone over at Chuay Gahn is injured too because there's some sort of yelping going on. Oh wait, they're singing again, Christmas carols this time. Meanwhile, the tribe's boat has come loose from its mooring, and of course there's a cameraman conveniently there to catch it on video. Now you don't suppose that he may have "accidentally" kicked it loose, do you? I wonder if it's the same cameraman who filmed Sook Jai's lost net. The next morning Chuay Gahn awakes to find the boat missing. No one actually says, "Dude, where's my boat," but you know that's only because Robb's not there.  

The tree mail comes complete with $1000, and Jan seems overly excited about that, considering that currency is probably the last thing you would need on a deserted island. Anyway, Granny Moses does a jig to celebrate. It's obvious that the reward challenge is going to be an auction, so maybe Chuay Gahn will be able to buy a new boat. Before the auction, however, there is a twist. Jeff offers the contestants the opportunity to switch tribes.  

From a strategy standpoint, both Jan and Stephanie have admitted that they know they are the next ones gone from their respective tribes, so it would be smart for them to switch, even if only as a move of desperation. No one takes the offer, so they move on to the auction during which nothing of interest happens. They bid on food and they eat it, though there is a suspicious lack of blatant product placement.  

Sook Jai eats some bananas and Chuay Gahn gets some water, but basically they move quickly on to the immunity challenge. The challenge involves sorting four kinds of fish, baramundi, travoli, silver fish, and squid, which is all fine except that squid are not actually fish. Anyway, Chuay Gahn wins immunity, so Sook Jai will be heading to tribal council.  

As usual, they try to generate some suspense about the vote and set it up as a choice between Shii Ann and Stephanie. During the tribal council interview, Robb finds a Butthead to his Beavis in Jeff. Come on, bro, that is a fact Jack. Jeff also gives Stephanie, who is most likely going home, a chance to save herself, but she instead digs the hole even deeper by condescendingly suggesting that she carried the tribe on her back early, but now the rest are doing okay. Finally, Jeff asks Shii Ann if she seriously considered taking the offer to switch tribes, and she says no because she really likes this tribe. - REWIND: Jeff: "Does anyone hear want to change tribes." Shii Ann: ".I hate this tribe." - Ultimately, by a vote of 5 to 2 (the same five that voted Jed out), Stephanie is voted out. Robb votes for Shii Ann because she gets on his nerves and he doesn't like being around her, but it's nothing personal. Uh, that's kind of the definition of personal.  

With one more elimination to go, Sook Jai holds a 6 person to 5 person advantage, and though Chuay Gahn is supposedly the happy go luck one big happy family tribe, it seems like the group of five in Sook Jai (everyone but Robb) has the more solid strategic alliance set up. They seem to be in good shape to be the final five barring some possible tiebreak loss in the first vote of the combined tribe.  

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2002, 9:10am »

"SOURPUSS STEPH" FLAMES OUT OF GAME
(10.19.02 - Bobby Pepper)

The door was open, wide open, for Stephanie. All she had to to do during the minute of silence before the reward auction-and-pig out was take up Jeff Probst's offer to switch tribes. You could just tell she wanted to do it.

But kept quiet and stuck with Sook Jai. Eventually, her tribemates stuck it to her. The firewoman from Arkansas was voted out at tribal council, the second to go from Sook Jai. Her moody attitude (I sometimes referred to her as Sourpuss Steph) wore on her tribemates and overwhelmingly sent her packing. So, no more sleeping in the rain for you, Steph.  To her credit, she did make a last-ditch effort to lighten up in order to  save her butt. Yet passing out bananas and actually speaking to people at the Sook Jai chicken ranch didn't make too much of an impression. She should have taken that fork in the road, one that would put her in Chuy Ghan and kept her in the game longer than, say, Shi Ann, who has become
Madame DodgeBullet for now surviving two close votes at tribal council.

At this point, let's ask, "What if?"

--What if Stephanie showed a little more personality, especially in the first week where first impressions can be lasting ones for the Survivor contestants. She would've had more allies and stuck it out longer than Shi Ann or even Mr. Come on Bro himself, Robb. And that's a fact, Jack.

--What if Steph did switch and used her talent to stuff fish in her mouth to help Chuy Ghan win the immunity challenge? I believe her new tribe would have welcomed her. And if they had to face just one more tribal council before the merge, I'm sure they'd vote out Jan instead of Steph. I think it's elementary: Chuy Ghan is ready to dismiss the ole teacher. The "urge to kill" look on Clay's face when Jan was jiggling and carrying on with the money said it all. Stephanie would have made it to the merge and a spot on the jury.
But all that's gone like Stephanie's flame. I really liked her and wanted her to do well. She's attractive and athletic, but she didn't help herself.  

Here are some observations from this week's show:

--Didn't you feel sorry for poor baby Mr. Come on Bro when got his heel stung by a sting ray? Oh, the pain and the agony. Bless his heart, I bet Robb was begging for someone to kiss to make it feel better. Dude, what you needed was someone to piss on it. Where's Kathy when you need her?

--If I had heard Helen's singing while out on the island, I'd float away too. Memo to Helen: Stick to swimming and looking out for yourself. As for the missing boat, it should make for an interesting search on next week's show.

--I think Jake and Shi Ann could be the next Rodger-and-Elisabeth or Pascal-and-Neleh. Seems like Jake has taken a liking for the queen chicken eater, and it could be a key to why she's still in the game.  

--What's with Ted? Now that Ghandia's gone, Ted is getting frisky again.  Did you see the peck on the cheek he gave Brian after the reward challenge? Brian may soon wake up to find someone grinding against him.  Heaven help us if that's coming up on the next Survivor. Seriously, I don't think there's any kinky stuff going on between them. Yet Ted and Brian are aligning themselves for the future and Clay is becoming the third man out of this threesome. I always thought of Clay as Gilligan to Ted's Skipper. Now it looks like Ted has found himself another "little buddy."

--My prediction for next week: Chuy Ghan votes out Jan, leaving the remaining 10 --- Erin, Penny, Jake, Robb, Ken, Shi Ann, Ted, Clay, Helen and Brian -- in place for the merge.

---------------------------
Bobby Pepper, 39, is the online editor of the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal in Tupelo, Miss., and a hard-core Survivor fan. You can e-mail him at [email protected]
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.