Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:59am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « RNO Interview with Rafe »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   RNO Interview with Rafe
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RNO Interview with Rafe  (Read 332 times)
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

RNO Interview with Rafe
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

“I’m Nice But I’m Not Stupid”: An Interview with Survivor: Guatemala’s Rafe  
by David Bloomberg -- 12/12/2005  

Rafe appeared to give up a sure seat in the final two and a possible win when he released Danni from her promise. But are things really that simple. Was there more to Rafe’s plan? And would Danni have voted him out anyway? Rafe discusses this and answers many other questions you want to know about, so read on!  

Rafe made many great decisions in his first 38 days on Survivor. But then he made a couple that have fans shaking their heads. In this interview, Rafe gives a lot more insight into those decisions and explains why they really were the right things to do at the time. Plus, could he have beaten Danni? Or Lydia? Rafe provides lots of great information here.

RealityNewsOnline: Hello, Rafe. How are you?

Rafe: I’m doing good, thanks.

RNO: I’ve got some questions for you from RealityNewsOnline.  

Rafe: Sure. I read all the articles at RNO.  

RNO: Your pre-show statements indicated that you were quite comfortable in outdoor situations – did you let your fellow players know about this or did you keep it to yourself?  

Rafe: I definitely wanted to play down my athletic ability at the beginning, because I really wanted people to underestimate me. It’s easy to do that, looking at me.

RNO: You talked about how you played the game with morals but also you were proud of your decisions – some of which involved stabbing your own allies in the back. How did you decide when it was okay to break a trust and when it wasn’t?  

Rafe: For me it was really when I knew they were going to take me out, and I acted first. I’m nice but I’m not stupid. And I was right. Afterwards, I talked to Jamie, I talked to Judd, I talked to Cindy, and all three said they were going to take me out pretty soon. So I was able to nip that before they had a chance to do it.  

RNO: Do you think you could have won the final immunity challenge if you hadn't slipped up?  

Rafe: I think Danni still would have won. She had a great position on the pole and she’s a marathon runner. I knew going into final three with them, I probably wasn’t going to win the challenge. That’s why I wanted to be with them, because I thought both of them would take me.  

RNO: When you released Danni from any final two obligations after the last immunity challenge, was that purely you being a nice guy, or was it strategy as well to show just how nice a guy you were and thus encourage her to take you?  

Rafe: At the time, it was just going on emotion. But it was part of my strategy too. My strategy was to be myself. It did turn out to make the decision harder for her than otherwise. It was a really difficult decision. I really did want her to make her own decision, and that made it even harder.  

RNO: On The Early Show, she said it actually made the decision easier.  

Rafe: I didn’t see it. But the thing it did do was give her an easy excuse.

RNO: She also said you were hating yourself last night because of it.

Rafe: She didn’t really talk to me much last night. I think she was still feeling a little guilty.  

RNO: Do you think Danni would have taken you to the final two if you hadn’t released her from that promise?  

Rafe: No, I don’t. There is no chance she would have.  

RNO: In just the 12 hours or so since the finale aired, some fans have already been calling for your head on a stake because you released Danni from her promise and potentially gave up the win – how would you respond to such people?

Rafe: I’d say I played the game as myself for 38 days. I wasn’t going to give that up at the end. I don’t think it had that much impact. The real mistake was organizing everything to get to that point and trusting she’d take me.

To her credit, I do think she planned on taking me until the last day, when she counted out the votes. It’s an impossible decision to be in. It’s between having a million dollars and not, and breaking a promise. I did not envy her position at all.  

RNO: In your post-show conversations with the players who were on the jury, did you get any indication of whether you might have won if Danni had taken you to the final two?  

Rafe: I know Cindy, Lydia, and Stephenie would have voted for me. I would have just had to convince one of the guys to vote for me in final Tribal Council. Danni knew that too, and thought I’d be able to. She really felt I’d win, though it’s possible she could have won.  

RNO: Did you vote for Stephenie to win because you were mad at Danni for not taking you to the final two, or because you respected the game that Stephenie played (or some other reason)?  

Rafe: I did respect the game Steph played. I wasn’t going to vote for Danni – Steph had been totally loyal to me. I was the only one on jury Danni backstabbed. The final Tribal Council is about atoning for what you’ve done in the game, so for me to vote for Danni would have been a little ridiculous. I totally respect the game she played, she did awesome and is a great winner. But I think Steph is a bit underrated for the game she played.  

RNO: Speaking of which, some of the statements you made at the jury question-and-answer talked about how Stephenie masterminded many of the strategies. Yet from what we saw – and what I heard from some of those voted out – it seemed you were the mastermind and Stephenie did your bidding. Which is closer to the truth?  

Rafe: That’s a good question. I think I did most of the strategizing part of it, figuring when to vote people out. But Stephenie played an important role in cementing the things they did, like convincing the others they were safe. She was a great executor of strategy, a great player. I came up with the strategy, she executed it.

RNO: When you told Stephenie what you wanted to hear in her final arguments, it almost seemed like you were coaching her for the benefit of the other jurors – was this your intent?  

Rafe: I told it to both of them because they both gave ho-hum answers. I wanted them to step up and fight for it. I told them, “Give me something!” I felt they didn’t seem like they were really fighting. They both seemed to kind of accept once I was voted out that Danni would win.  

RNO: Who would you have taken to the finals?  

Rafe: Stephenie. And Danni knew that.  

RNO: Because?  

Rafe: Because I would have won!

RNO: Why do you think Lydia would have won if she had been in the final two?  

Rafe: I really did think Lydia was my biggest competition just because it’s hard to predict what a jury will do. I thought if Lydia is in the final two, I might vote for her. She more than anybody needed the money, which plays heavily on the minds of jurors. Little Lydia should have been the first one gone and somehow made it to the final two. I really think she would have won. Although I think Steph thought she would beat Lydia for sure, which is one reason I didn’t want Lydia in the final three.  

RNO: So you don’t think the jury would have held it against Lydia for not playing the game as much?  

Rafe: Maybe, but Lydia was a total wildcard. Maybe they’d reward the best game. But everybody loved Lydia and were inspired by her.

Also, in the final three, if it had just been standing on blocks she could have won that. Lydia was incredibly mentally strong. If it had just been standing on a block, Lydia would have even beaten Danni.  

RNO: Is there anything at all that you regret about your game play, or anything you wish you could go back and do differently?  

Rafe: I wish I had not touched the pole. I had a lot of cards stacked against me. Everybody talked about how they couldn’t take me to final two. I got to the final three with two people who really were planning to take me. But when the day came and Danni counted the votes, she made the decision for a million dollars and I don’t fault her for it. Even though she didn’t take me, she was the most likely to take me. She almost did, which is way more than anybody else would have.  

RNO: Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your time on Survivor?  

Rafe: I really did have a great time. It’s so hard to go in and not come out with regrets, but I came out of it with no regrets, so I feel great about that.

Also, I think it came across in the editing that I told Danni to take Stephenie to the final two. But really, I was fighting that whole day.

RNO: What are your plans for the future?  

Rafe: I’m going to move to L.A. to be a screenwriter. I’ll get started with the prize money from the show and hopefully find a job doing that.

RNO: Good luck! And keep in touch with us, readers always like to hear what’s going on with previous contestants.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.