Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:34am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Survivor: Cook Islands Official Cast Announcement »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Survivor: Cook Islands Official Cast Announcement
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Survivor: Cook Islands Official Cast Announcement  (Read 597 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Survivor: Cook Islands Official Cast Announcement
« on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Press Release from CBS:

August 23, 2006

CBS ANNOUNCES 20 NEW CASTAWAYS FOR  
"SURVIVOR:  COOK ISLANDS"

Twenty New Castaways Set To Compete When The 13th Installment Of The Hit Television Series Premieres on Thursday, Sept. 14

Ethnically Diverse Cast To Initially Be Organized Into Four Tribes Divided Along Ethnic Lines

CBS today announced the 20 new castaways who will compete in SURVIVOR: COOK ISLANDS when the 13th installment of the Emmy Award-winning series premieres Thursday, Sept. 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SURVIVOR: COOK ISLANDS will feature the series' most ethnically diverse cast to date.  The castaways will initially be organized into four tribes divided along ethnic lines (African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic and White) before merging in a later episode.

In addition, throughout the series, at least one castaway each episode will be banished to a separate island (Exile Island) miles away from camp.  While being separated from the tribe is not desirable, the castaways will learn that there is a hidden Immunity Idol somewhere on Exile Island.  If found, this Immunity Idol could save an individual from being voted out at a future Tribal Council.

Castaways that will be competing in SURVIVOR:  COOK ISLANDS (in alphabetical order) are:

REBECCA BORMAN
Laurelton, N.Y.
Make-Up Artist

ANH-TUAN “CAO BOI” BUI (Pronounced Cowboy)
Christianburg, Va.
Nail Salon Manager

SEKOU BUNCH
Los Angeles (originally from New York)
Jazz Musician/Recording Artist

J.P. CALDERON
Marina Del Rey, Calif.
Professional Volleyball Player

CRISTINA CORIA
Los Angeles
Police Officer

STEPHANNIE FAVOR
Columbia, S.C.  
Nursing Student  

BILLY GARCIA
New York (originally from Miami)
Heavy Metal Guitarist

ADAM GENTRY
San Diego, Calif. (originally from Fredericksburg, Va.)
Copier Sales

NATHAN GONZALEZ
Los Angeles
Retail Sales

JENNY GUZON-BAE
Lake Forest, Ill. (originally from Melrose Park, Ill.)
Real Estate Agent

YUL KWON
San Mateo, Calif. (originally from Flushing, N.Y.)
Management Consultant

BECKY LEE
Washington, D.C. (originally from Pittsburgh)
Attorney

OSCAR “OZZY” LUSTH
Venice, Calif.
Waiter

CECILIA MANSILLA
Oakland, Calif. (originally from Arequipa, Peru)
Technology Risk Consultant

SUNDRA OAKLEY
Actress

JONATHAN PENNER
Writer/Producer

PARVATI SHALLOW
Los Angeles (originally from Atlanta)
Boxer/Waitress

JESSICA SMITH
Chico, Calif.
Performance Artist/Rollergirl

BRAD VIRATA
Los Angeles (originally from Seattle)
Fashion Director

CANDICE WOODCOCK
Fayetteville, N.C.
Pre-Med Student

(Photos to come later in the Profiles forum.)
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:38am by MediaScribe » IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Survivor: Cook Islands Official Cast Announcem
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:43am »

So far i like..

Adam
Candice
Rebecca
Sundra
John
Parvati

Looks like i'll be rooting for a girl to win this season again. Wink
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:09am »

Quote:
Looks like i'll be rooting for a girl to win this season again.

:rofl:

Grin
IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:02pm »

Just look how many are from California and Los Angeles!
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:14pm »

I just have to vent for a minute.  Out of 30,000 plus apps, they could not find 5 of each - African, Asian and Hispanics?  Give me a break.  These applicants break their necks applying.  And they can't choose from what they have?  They have to go out and recruit from the Los Angeles area....
For me, this will go down as Survivor: California.  

I'm sharing this post from Spitzup who is a fellow poster at another site:

Now that they've posted all the official bios on the CBS site, it's even more disheartening to see how many of these folks are connected to the entertainment industry in one way or another -- either as aspiring actors (Adam, Sundra, Parvati, Ozzy, Nathan); performance artist (Jessica); former tv news reporter (Jenny); current or former models (J.P., Brad); musicians (Billy and Sekou); writer/producer/former actor (Penner); consultant to TV projects (Cristina, the cop); or make-up artists (Rebecca, who works for "The View" and does makeup for former Survivor Elizabeth Hasslebeck, no less!).  

And this one from scepticA:

It all smells wrong.  

Eighty-five percent. Jeez.

There are twenty survivors in S13. That means that only three (!!!!) were from applications. Whatever I've said about the process in the past - the applications, the semis, the finals... forget it.  

There was no point in applying. Before, I could pretend that I had a chance at maybe one of four slots (demographic-wise). But now I figure that it was completely pointless.  

For the first time, I think Jeff P completely blew it. He should never have admitted that 17 of the contestants were recruited. There was always the whiff of "cross-section of America" in the people chosen, even if there were a potload of them from Southern California who happened to be bartenders. There was something approachable and understandable in the whole application/interview idea. And it began with the basic idea that these people wanted to be on Survivor.

eta: Suffice it to say, this has taken the wind out of so many who have applied for the show.  What good does it do?  Shame on you SEG.  
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:18pm by lakelady » IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 5:03am »

I like the cast though. But there's really too many of them from California.
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
tattooedbeauty
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Happy Thanksgiving.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 10:24am »

No wonder why I liked a lot of contestants..they are all good people! I like the chaoticness of the game. I can't believe only 3 people were applicants!

IP Logged

Happy Autumn.

Survivor China Winner- Todd.

AR winner- Rachel & TK

sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 10:35am »

they recruit people connected to the entertainment industry because these people are more outspoken, less shy and generally safe to work with (tried and tested not to be murderous-crazy).

although it is admitted that many 'ordinary people' can make good television, they are harder to find. people may act crazy and interesting on a tape but are not guaranteed to do so 24/7. survivor is a very big investment; they cannot risk it so much on potentially boring people.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2006, 10:36am by sneezemachine » IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 11:12am »

The whole race division thing bothers me.  The fact so many are from California bothers me.  Entertainment industry connections bothers me.  (The possibility that they all will be wanting PIs and probably will be more dramatic to further their ambitions at home)

I'll have to wait and see how this goes, but I like choosing the contestants from tapes and applications NATION WIDE.  ITA ; that they couldn't find racial diversity from normally acquired applicants is just bogus.   How many regular applicants, that have applied every season, have been left adrift.
IP Logged
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 12:10pm »

I guess I'm one of the very few in the country that just doesn't see what's so blasphemous about Burnett splitting the tribes based on ethnicity or race.  Yet most media and many people on message boards are acting like a great civil injustice has been done to the world because of this.

Nowhere has anything been said by SEG that any of the tribes is 'better' than the other or 'worse' than the others for any reason.  All the tribes will be given the same things, participate in the same challenges and have the same opportunities to win the game as the others.  No race is being slighted here.  It's just a criteria for separating the tribes to begin the game...it's no different than separating them based on gender like in Amazon, or age and gender like in Exile Island.

As much as many in America want us to be this huge, global, homogenous society, the fact is that different races have different cultural backgrounds, behaviors, traditions and values...that's what makes our world so great.  It's going to be interesting as all get out to see how tribes made up of people who share cultural behaviors, traditions and values work together (or not!) to Survive.  Why is everyone being so hypersensitive just because the word 'Race' has been made a criteria for pairing people up to play a game?  If we separated them by eye color would people still be hemming and hawing?

'Racist Survivor', 'Segragated Survivor'...I just don't see what the big evil deal is!!!!  Someone please explain the injustice to me!!!

Rant over.  Smiley
IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 2:37pm »

The way contestants have been chosen in the past should have allowed enough diversity to suit everyone.    Having preselected exact numbers seems artificial to me, somehow.   That was my first reaction, but I'm waiting to see how it plays out.  

IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 2:48pm »

From just reading about them, I like this cast.  

I'm only in angst over the way they were chosen.  Why encourage the masses to make an audition tape, fill out a LENGTHY application, take the time and money to mail it in and then sit and wait and wait and wait for a call?  Why encourage them to go to open casting calls?
If all you are gonna do is go through model/music agencies and pick up the local waiter or waitress.  

At least now the applicants  now know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting on the show.   Sad
IP Logged
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 4:27pm »

I do agree with you there.  The whole selection process has been dashed to hell and they've thumbed their noses at everyone who ever filled out that darn 20 page application and spent hours making a tape.
IP Logged
sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:27am »

wow. i didn't know they require a freakin' 20-page application!!

---

i wonder if the castaways are allowed to speak in non-English. maybe the hispanics would speak spanish, the south koreans will speak korean and the filipinos will speak filipino among/between themselves.

if so, i wonder how much this would affect the game = better-guarded secrets.
IP Logged
Genius
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Asian engineering!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:42am »

Reminds me of Daniel speaking to Mat (?) in Mandarin back in S6.
IP Logged

TAR14: Tammy and Victor
S18: Brendan, Taj, Spencer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.