Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:22am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Sarge is serving in Iraq. »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Sarge is serving in Iraq.
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sarge is serving in Iraq.  (Read 1031 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Sarge is serving in Iraq.
« on: Jul 25th, 2007, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Outwit, Outplay, Outlast — and Outgun?  
To fans of the TV show ‘Survivor,’ he was ‘Sarge. That’s what his unit in Iraq calls him, too.  
By Les Neuhaus, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Monday, July 23, 2007  

FORWARD OPERATING BASE Q-WEST, Iraq — Are you a fan of the TV show “Survivor”? If so, you may remember “Sarge” — as he was endearingly referred to — from Season 9, “Vanuatu: Islands of Fire.”

The firebrand senior noncommissioned officer of the U.S. Army is now in Iraq, following through on his commitment to his duty as a war-ready soldier.

Sgt. 1st Class Lea Masters, 43, a native of Chesapeake, W.Va., who served as a drill instructor when he was on CBS’ hit series, is attached to the 5th Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division based in Fort Bliss, Texas.

He is working as the chief of the unit’s firing battery, which features the 155 mm Paladin howitzer, one of the U.S. military’s biggest pieces of artillery.

“When I came here, I had to forget about any of this celebrity business because I deal in a world where people’s lives are at stake,” Masters said Saturday during an interview at FOB Q- West, roughly 190 miles north of Baghdad.

He went to the war zone when his newest unit deployed there nearly nine months ago.

But back in 2004, Masters tried out for the reality television show at the behest of his son, Kris, who is now 21. He was posted at Fort Jackson, S.C., then.

“I barely knew about the show, but my son kept telling me that I could beat all of the people on it — he wouldn’t let up,” the soldier said. “I kept telling him I didn’t have time. But finally I said, ‘If I do this, will you promise to stop going on about this?’”

One thing led to another, and before Masters knew it, he was on a plane bound for Sydney, Australia, then boarded another plane, and then a boat — blindfolded — bound for the 83-island nation of Vanuatu, a former British colony in the South Pacific.

A day later, according to Masters, Jeff Probst, the host of the show, pulled up to Masters and his “Survivor” competitors on a boat rowed by locals, announcing that the game was now beginning.

Masters made it to the first jury stage and was the seventh person voted off, largely due to his physical stamina, in his opinion. His midseason exit was also largely due to his unwavering adherence to ethics, honor and integrity — values lost among those who endure to the end, according to the colorful artilleryman.

“There is no way you can win ‘Survivor’ without violating your integrity,” he said. “I will never allow money to change who I am — because if I do that, I’m no longer valuable on the battlefield.”

He was besieged by letters and e-mails in the thousands from people who admired his John Wayne-style grit, and he didn’t let an e-mail go without a response.

Much like Rudy Boesch from the very first season — a former Navy SEAL — Masters lived by his own code of ethics that was different from that of the younger players on the program.

Boesch lives down the street from Masters’ mother in coastal Virginia. The two men paired up a couple of years ago for a barbecue cookout, swapping stories about their experiences on the show.

A congressional inquiry followed Masters’ appearance on the CBS show. It came about at the urging of a group of wives of U.S. servicemembers who were upset that he was an active-duty soldier who seemed to be “having a good time” while other active- duty personnel were dying in Iraq, Masters said.

“I used my own accrued leave to do the show,” he said. “I was on leave for 47 days and I still had leave time left over. It really upset my wife. She didn’t think it was fair because I had been giving so much of myself to the military before and after the show.”

The hearings blew over after lawmakers saw no wrong in his appearance on the show, he said. In fact, the military sent him on globe-trotting tours, acting as an ambassador of sorts for the U.S. Army, where he gave speeches and visited terminally ill children, among other activities.

Sgt. 1st Class Lea Masters, 43, of Chesapeake, W. Va., leans against a 155 mm Paladin howitzer at Forward Operating Base Q-West, Iraq.

Say prayers for his safety over there if you're so inclined.  He will be missed at Discovery Beach this year. May he return safely and be with us next year  - Scribe
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

Re: Sarge is serving in Iraq.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 12:45pm »

I hope Sarge gets back here ok.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
TARfan1
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 11:17pm »

Oh yes..i do hope so.
IP Logged

Fav Shows: The Amazing Race, The Biggest Loser, Despeare Housewives, LOST
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 12:52pm »

I'm happy to report that Sarge has informed his friends that he is returning home from Iraq on Dec. 5th after 14 months of service.

Let's wish him a safe rest of his tour and a safe trip home.  As a proud American, I want to publicly thank him for his service and I'm honored I got to meet this hero two years ago at Discovery Beach.

Godspeed Sarge!
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2007, 12:52pm by MediaScribe » IP Logged
Splatt
ForumsNet Member
USA 

All of my BB9 faves, except Josh

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 7:01pm »

God bless Sarge!
IP Logged

Reality Faves:
Gabon: Matty, Crystal, Charlie, Ken, Sugar
TAR 13: Ken/Tina, Kelly/Christy, Toni/Dallas
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2007, 1:11am »

on Jul 25th, 2007, 8:37am, MediaScribe wrote:

A congressional inquiry followed Masters’ appearance on the CBS show. It came about at the urging of a group of wives of U.S. servicemembers who were upset that he was an active-duty soldier who seemed to be “having a good time” while other active- duty personnel were dying in Iraq, Masters said.

Ok.. Now that is just stupid. He was on leave, in a place where he couldn't be called up.. So what is the point in that? Its rather dumb
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

S16: Cirie,Yau-Man! TAR12: Ron/Christina!
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Sarge is Back in the USA
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 10:54pm »

Sarge is back in the USA!

From Sarge's MySpace: "Wassssup, Just wanted to let everyone know that I am back in the US and doing great. I really appreciate all the support that I recieved while gone for the last year and a half. I look forward to seeing everyone at all the events this year and hope everyone has a great Christmas.
take care  
Lea aka Sarge"
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.