Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:22pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « "Survivor" Scandal: Was "Lunch Lady" Lying? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   "Survivor" Scandal: Was "Lunch Lady" Lying?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Survivor" Scandal: Was "Lunch Lady" Lying?  (Read 3105 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

"Survivor" Scandal: Was "Lunch Lady" Lying?
« on: Dec 18th, 2007, 10:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"Survivor" Scandal?
Contestant's Tale Of Woe Gets $50G From Show Honcho, But Was "Lunch Lady" Lying?
Dec. 18, 2007

(CBS) In the season finale of "Survivor: China" Sunday night, Denise Martin, a former school lunch room worker who finished fourth in the competition, told everyone that, when she returned home after the taping of "Survivor," she had lost her job.  

"I went back and I talked to the food service director, and they didn't give me my job back," Martin said, "so I ended up having to go -- I'm a janitor now. I clean the toilets, I wash the floors of the bathrooms, I vacuum the kids' rugs. I miss dinner with my family. I haven't been to a field hockey game yet. I'm missing out on a lot more than I originally had planned on doing."  

Near the end of the show, host Jeff Probst announced a surprise for Martin -- a spontaneous one, at that.  

"This is very much a live show, and our boss and the creator of this show, Mark Burnett, was backstage listening to Denise's story. And, I'm not kidding: Just now on a break, he said to let Denise know that Mark Burnett is going to give Denise $50,000!"  

The next day, school officials where Martin works received thousands of e-mails accusing them of treating her unfairly.

But it turns out, the lunch lady's story may be out to lunch.  

Nancy Lane, the superintendent of Douglas Public Schools in Massachusetts, says Martin didn't portray what happened accurately -- and had in fact been promoted, at her own request, to the new position, which pays better and has better benefits.  

The two of them faced off on The Early Show Tuesday -- with Lane in New York, and Martin in Los Angeles.  

To watch the video of their confrontation, click http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3628035n
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2007, 10:57am by MediaScribe » IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: "Survivor" Scandal: Was "Lunch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 12:12pm »

oooohhhhhhh scandalous... I have to say her story was misleading, maybe it wasn't the intent, but I think she definitely left out the key portion of the story... I wonder if she would have told the story the way she told it in the video, if Burnett would have still given her money...

hmm
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 5:36pm »

I don't think she meant it in that way, just that maybe she wanted the other position back to be with her kids, and they said no we can't do that.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 5:51pm »

on Dec 18th, 2007, 5:36pm, Heather wrote:
I don't think she meant it in that way, just that maybe she wanted the other position back to be with her kids, and they said no we can't do that.

That sounds the most likely. Its not like Denise even knew that would have even happened.
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

S16: Cirie,Yau-Man! TAR12: Ron/Christina!
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 6:51pm »

She lied.  I think she got so used to using the "poor me" line on Survivor, she didn't know when to stop.  All she had to do was say she had a higher paying job with the school janitorial service.  She kept on with the poor and downtroden act.  She applied for and started this job last March.  MARCH!  Long before she left for her stint on Survivor.  I hope she refused MB's offer of $50,000.
IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 7:44pm »

I think she lied by omission. The way Dan and I heard the story was  

"I came back from survivor ready to go back to the lunch room job I had when I left; but when I got back my employers said "oh well you're too distracting so you're fired from this position, but we're going to put you on the custodial staff with equal pay as the lunch room. So any one in the audience looking for a lunch lady call me"

The story that I heard after this interview was:
"I realized while on survivor I missed my lunch life and so I went back and asked to go back to my original job because I wasn't happy with being a janitor like I thought I would be. But they told me no and I'd have to stay in the janitor position which I applied for way before survivor and got before going on survivor because it has better pay and benefits"

and the story from the school that I heard in the interview (which Denise supports)

"We had a position come available as a janitor. Denise applied for it and got it. The job had better benefits and pay. We granted her the leave to go on survivor and were supportive, her job would be there when she got back. She came back and wanted her lunch job back (which the person was unaware of) however, we couldn't put her there because there is no position available. if a position comes available we would welcome and encourage her to apply"....

IP Logged
jvjkj
ForumsNet Member

^Thanks Jake!^

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 8:58pm »

OK, Denise was straight up lying I think, Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Survivor: All faves except Yau and Ami, Mary!
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 10:11pm »

'Survivor' contestant apologizes for deception
December 18, 2007 12:47 PM  

By Andrew Ryan, The Boston Globe

Denise Martin, the former lunch lady who claimed she had been demoted to janitor after appearing on “Survivor: China,” acknowledged today that the hard-luck story she told in the reality show finale was not true.  

Martin, who works in an elementary school in Douglas, Mass., appeared on the CBS "Early Show'' in a split screen with Schools Superintendent Nancy T. Lane in a segment dubbed "Survivor Scandal." As her voice cracked, Martin confirmed what Lane told the Globe on Monday -- that she had been promoted to a janitorial position before trying out for the show, a job that came with a $10-an-hour pay raise.  

"It was not my intention to be misleading," Martin said from studio in Los Angeles. "Nancy has been outstanding to me. She has done everything possible. She has given me the leave of absences to be on the show."

"I'm sorry," Martin continued, sounding as though she was near tears. "And I apologize to everybody. Believe me, I wish none of this had happened. I couldn't say I’m sorry enough."

During the live broadcast of the show's finale Sunday, Martin told viewers she had been demoted from her $7-an-hour job as a lunch lady because she had become too popular at Douglas Intermediate Elementary School.  

"They didn't give me my job back," said Martin, 40, who finished fourth in the reality show and missed the $1 million grand prize. "I'm a janitor now. I clean toilets. I wash the floors in the bathroom. I vacuum the kids' rugs."

The producer of "Survivor" responded on live television by surprising Martin with $50,000 to help "get her life back." The story sparked an avalanche of e-mails to Lane and the Douglas public schools, as thousands of viewers blasted the superintendent for being a "Scrooge" and ruining the country. The superintendent said today she was glad Martin acknowledged the truth.  

"What I really want to do is make sure the community has a chance to realize that Denise is sorry," said Lane, who appeared from a television studio in New York City. "It really cast a negative light on the whole experience for the entire community. I feel badly for them."

Then the segment's moderator, Julie Chen, asked another question. "Denise, what about the $50,000 you got for what appeared to be a sob story?"

Martin stammered, but didn’t answer. "It was not in my intention," Martin said. "I had no idea I was going to be awarded that."  

With eight seconds left in the segment, Chen pushed harder, asking whether she was going to keep the money. Martin shook her head from side to side but never said yes or no.  

"I love my town," Martin said. "I love my community. Nancy does a great job."
IP Logged
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 11:09pm »

Too bad Denise didn't play the game as well as she played Mark Burnett.
IP Logged
wend
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 2:40am »

Unreal-I never expected it from her.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 5:16am »

I totally expected her to do it. She's just - lowdown.
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 5:52am »

Wow, i certainly didn't think that Denise would be up to scamming money.
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

alternarist
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:57am »

I AGREE FULLY WITH COURTNEY THAT SHE SUCK AT LIFE.

cumon accept the fact that you are a lunch lady who only whines about people not bringing them to eat when she herself didnt win any challenges in the earlier stage of the competition. She is such a whiner complaining about this and that. i cant stand her anymore!  

Her janitor job is better than her lunch lady job! So why did she portrayed it like she lost her lunch lady job for a lowly janitor job, which turned out that she can earn more as a janitorHuh She just wants sympathy. Now everyone hates her cos she lied outright in national TV.  

i was so disgusted that Mark actually gave her 50000 bucks!! old :censored:
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2007, 10:04pm by yesteach » IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 9:45am »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 5:52am, Acalithos wrote:

I dont think she lied to scam money. I think as Pocket mentioned, she is used to using the  "poor me" routine. I think she just wanted some sympathy from people because that is how she is used to living, pulling sympathy. She is used to having people say "ahh what a hard life you have" and so she wanted sympathy. She deliberatly did not tell the truth of the story, she set it up so the viewers would be sympathic to her.  

One summer I worked at a Garden Centre for Walmart and I'd hear this sort of stuff from a couple of people that worked there. A couple of workers would have the "poor me, I work for 10$ an hour at a job I hate" and would be rude to me because I was in university. They'd ask me what I want to do with my life and I'd say Family law and my (at the time bf) wants to be a family doctor. Then they'd try and make me feel bad that I'll have a financially easy job and they don't. I don't feel bad because I've worked my BUTT off to get to where I am right now. My husband is working hard to get to where he needs to me, I don't feel bad.

Denise I think is just usd to playing the sympathy card. And she didnt know when to stop.
IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 12:37pm »

Hopefully this publicity means better ratings for the next Survivor season. Heh.
IP Logged
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 12:31am »

Well if Fairplay is in it :barf:

I don't think so, if he is hopefully the all-star tribe loses the first immunity and he gets thrown out
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 2:38am »

I didn't buy the Denise "I'm poor, pity me" sympathy thingy since like Episode 1. Thought i'll like Denise as a pre-season fave, but didn't like her as much for episode 1.
IP Logged

http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
jvjkj
ForumsNet Member

^Thanks Jake!^

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 3:25pm »

I thought you still did? LOL

I never liked her, just a little over people like Todd.
IP Logged

Survivor: All faves except Yau and Ami, Mary!
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 8:21pm »

Nah, i hated her ever since she started complaining and whining about her life.
IP Logged

LittleBoy
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

The Amazing Race !!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 9:37pm »

She's a :censored:
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2007, 10:03pm by yesteach » IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 8:19pm »

First, not once did she say she was demoted or making less money - people assumed janitor makes less than lunch lady... working in a school, I know.. if nothing else it's the same pay if not more, especially for nights.  I took it more as she was now having to work nights and before she worked days.

From experience, with schools, it's very likely she applied for this position before she left, was palced there while she was gone (as stated) and when she got back found out it was a night position and preferred the day job even if it paid less so she could be with the family evenings and the job was no longer open. I agree she gave the story a negative connotation, but she never once said she'd been "demoted" or was making less money, they just all presumed that...
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2007, 8:22pm by yesteach » IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 4:04am »

Totally, if Denise hadn't received that $50K would people really be whinging over that fact? No.
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 2:07pm »

Quote:

She didn't scam the money. It was given to her.  

Quote:
Now everyone hates her cos she lied outright in national TV.  

i was so disgusted that Mark actually gave her 50000 bucks!! old B|+ch!

Just because you hate her doesn't mean "everyone" does.  I don't think she lied.  And she's probably a real bitch for donating the money, eh?  Come on....cut her some slack.  

`Survivor' Lunch Lady Won't Take $50,000
4 days ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Denise Martin, who gained fame as the lunch lady on CBS' reality show "Survivor: China," is donating the $50,000 she received from producer Mark Burnett to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDs Foundation.

Martin told viewers on Sunday night's live finale that she'd been demoted to janitor at a school in Douglas, Mass., after finishing fourth on the show. After hearing her story, Burnett surprised Martin with the money to help get her life back.

On Tuesday, Martin acknowledged on CBS' "The Early Show" that she'd been promoted to custodian, at her own request, before the competition began.

"It was not my intention to be misleading," Martin, 40, said on the broadcast. "I'm sorry, and I apologize to everybody."

In a statement issued Tuesday by the network, Martin said she took "full responsibility" for her actions.

"I do not feel comfortable about accepting the $50,000. I would instead ask that it be donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation," the statement said. "Please accept my apology. I would also like to thank all the people who have supported me through this experience."

IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 8:42am »

Also, if you go back and watch, she never said "demoted" - people just took "janitor" to be a demotion from "lunchlady."  

What upsets me about some of the childish, name-calling responses here is that we have forum members who work hard to get former players to visit and comment on the game - what sort of image do the comments in this thread give? IT's one thing to state you think what she did was wrong, but calling someone a "bitch" is not acceptable.
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
MK
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 9:23am »

I agree with yesteach. Smiley

It's simple to me, she told a story and people took it the wrong way because she didn't give enough information. She didn't do it on purpose.
IP Logged

Hi. Smiley
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #25 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 12:18pm »

^I agree. I do not think Denise is a bad person at all. Smiley
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
Ruth
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

TAR 14 Pre-show Favourites!

View Profile Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 12:22pm »

on Dec 24th, 2007, 12:18pm, Heather wrote:
I do not think Denise is a bad person at all. Smiley

Same here! I don't know, but I actually kinda pity Denise, and I don't hate her at all hee.
IP Logged

Survivor Tocantins: Carolina` Brendan` Erinn` JT` Sierra`
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 2:30pm »

Yes she never once said she was demoted and everyone assumed she was demoted. However, it was assumed she was demoted by the way she told the story. She didn't tell the truth to the story, rather told the story in a way that garnered sympathy from her fellow survivors and the audience.  

But I don't think it was done intentionally. I dont think she thought things through. I don't think she realized how her version of the story was going to come across to the majority of people.  

IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 4:14pm »

Quote:
What upsets me about some of the childish, name-calling responses here is that we have forum members who work hard to get former players to visit and comment on the game - what sort of image do the comments in this thread give?

Thanks for pointing this out teach.  It ran through my mind as well.
IP Logged
Genius
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Asian engineering!

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 1:04pm »

She didn't lie. And the description of her activites as a janitor is probably not out of bitterness. Hence, her intention wasn't to whine.
IP Logged

TAR14: Tammy and Victor
S18: Brendan, Taj, Spencer
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 1:37pm »

on Dec 28th, 2007, 1:04pm, Genius wrote:
Hence, her intention wasn't to whine.

What was it then?  She wanted some attention. She knew it sounded like she was given a "leftover" job on her return and the sob story about missing the children.  Burnett felt sorry for her "demotion" and decided to play Mr. Charity.  Now Denise is screwed.  Does she tell tell Jeff and the viewers that it was really a promotion she applied for with more money and benefits and open a can of worms, or do you just let it go and sort it out later?  I believe she would have sorted it out later if the viewers hadn't flooded the school she worked for with angry e-mails.  The school was forced to bring everything out in the open to keep it's reputation clean.  

Denise's mistake was playing the sympathy card and being a fan favorite and not figuring in Burnett's PR factor.  She had a hard enough time figuring out what to do in Survivor:China, who could blame her?
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2007, 1:38pm by Isle_be_back » IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 4:47pm »

I don't think she whined thinking she'd get the money MB offered, but I do think her plan was to sound "poor pitiful mom can't spend time with family working nights" in hopes someone would offer a day job. After all that is what she mentioned at the end. I think iif MB had offered her a day job that paid 50k no one would even be having this discussion... but because it was money, suddenly she's trying to scam? I don't think it ever occured to her anything like this would happen.
IP Logged

Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 5:02pm »

You're exactly right, yesteach.  Everybody's blaming Denise when they should be yelling at Mark Burnett.  

What's the big idea, handing out extra cash to fan favorites?  They didn't do it in the earlier shows.  What about Rudy, Kelly W., Pascal, Helen, Neleh (the anti-Helen) and most notably Rob Cesternino?  They never got extra $.  

I say we storm down to CBS and demand MB's head on a stick!  Anybody with me?  Come on!  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.