Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:05am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Al Unser, Jr. arrested »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Al Unser, Jr. arrested
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Al Unser, Jr. arrested  (Read 3228 times)
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

Al Unser, Jr. arrested
« on: Jul 9th, 2002, 11:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The top news story on all of the Indianapolis stations this morning is the arrest of Al Unser, Jr.  He was arrested early this morning on domestic violence charges.  Apparently, he and his girl friend had been at a club until early this morning.  When they left, he was intoxicated and she was driving.  They began to argue and when it was over he had struck her about the face and head several times.  She called the police and filed charges, he was detained in lock up for several hours, but is now out.  The report also stated that they were living in a motor home parked in the infield of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  I thought that was kinda' strange.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2002, 11:37am by Irishlass » IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: Al Unser, Jr. arrested
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 11:39am »

yikes.  It sounds like she is Ok but he is going to have to get some anger management counselling.  Although it does not sound like that relationship is in good shape.

That is a rather odd place to live.  I guess he likes to be close to his work.  But more than that he sounds like he has too much stress and is not coping.  

Hope the girlfriend is OK.
IP Logged
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 12:13pm »

Now this is news!  IL thanks for posting this.  I happen to be a huge race fan.  I've never cared for Little Al.  He always seams to have a chip on his shoulder.  I'm sorry to hear about his girlfriend and she did the right thing by filing charges, next she should leave him, but that's just my humble opinion.  The fact that they are at Indy in a motor home isn't surprising.  These guys practice at different tracks throughout the year.  It helps them to prepare for the next race or helps to test out new equipment.  Goodyear has drivers test new tires all the time.  He could be there for testing purposes.

IP Logged
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 12:22pm »

Here's an article from espn.  
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2002/0709/1403508.html

What a jerk!!! (This comment is not part of the espn article.  It is the opinion of the fan posting the article.  Roll Eyes )

Woman: Unser hit, left her on highway
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Al Unser Jr. was arrested Tuesday on charges he hit a woman in the face before leaving her on the side of a highway in the middle of the night.

The two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was released from the Marion County jail after posting a $30,000 bond. He avoided reporters when he left.

The woman, Jena L. Soto, was found standing next to a guardrail on Interstate 465 at about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. She told police she was Unser's girlfriend of four years.

Soto was driving the car because Unser was drunk, she said. She told police she hit Unser first to stop him from trying to shift the gears, and that Unser responded by hitting her in the face.

The 40-year-old Unser was arrested at his motor home on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway infield. A hearing on a domestic battery charge was set for Wednesday, sheriff's Maj. Vincent Cascella said.

Officials with Unser's Indy Racing League team had no immediate comment, Kelley Racing spokeswoman Nancy Miller said. A telephone message left for Unser's attorney, James Voyles, was not immediately returned.

The 38-year-old Soto, of Albuquerque, N.M., told police she and Unser had been at a strip club. She said they were arguing and that he repeatedly shifted the gears into neutral and reverse.

Soto told police she pulled to the side of the highway after Unser hit her, got out of the vehicle, and that Unser then drove away.

Unser first denied knowing Soto, police said. After being told of her accusations, Unser told police Soto had hit him first.

Unser, the winner of the Indy 500 in 1992 and '94, was to play in a charity golf tournament Thursday at the speedway's course and then drive Saturday in an IROC race at Chicagoland Speedway, Miller said.  

IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

???Re: Al Unser, Jr. arrested
« Reply #4 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:31pm »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 12:22pm, crypto wrote:

What a jerk!!!  

Al, or his girlfriend?

Quote:

She told police she hit Unser first to stop him from trying to shift the gears, and that Unser responded by hitting her in the face.

If she hit him first, isn't it self-defense, rather than assault?    Huh

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:39pm »

I think that hinges real heavily on the definition of hitting.. if she slapped his hand away because he was endangering her and the car, that doesn't mean he gets to slug her in the face, or that he was in danger and needed to defend himself from her...I'd want all the facts on exactly what happened before I made a judgement here.  Either way, they should be required to go to counseling.
IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 7:02pm »

Agreed, they both need counselling.  I'm an old-school guy, myself, and think it's inappropriate to hit a woman, even if she does hit you first, but I have a bit of trouble with, "I hit him, and he hit me back, so I want to charge him with assault!"   Wink

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 7:45pm »

Eric,

That would be Al that is the jerk.  While I don't necessarily agree with her hitting him, we don't know the exact circumstances, nor do I believe that we will ever know.  It wouldn't surprise me if the charges were dropped.  The Unser is very influencial in the racing community and they wouldn't want Little Al's image tarnished.  It also looks bad for his sponsor.  I'll be interested to see what happens from a legal aspect.

IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 6:51pm »

Seems to me that they should have both been charged.  She admitted to hitting him first then she said he hit her back.  In Virginia, that admission would have earned both of them a ride in cuffs.

Striking back is no excuse, but we haven't heard his side of the story yet and to label him a "jerk" based on only her side of the story seems a little biased and premature, IMHO.  

Guess the rest of the story will come out in court.

It takes two to tango. . . .
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 7:11pm »

i think that in the same position, i would attempt to keep a drunk from changing gears even if it took 'hitting' him.  while i believe they both need counselling, hers would be for staying with someone who would hit her and then leave her on the highway and his for anger managment.

you may find this funny, but i had never heard of him before... Shocked Lips Sealed Smiley
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 7:38pm »

My opinion still stands.  It still takes two to tango.  
If you want to "stop a drunk from changing gears" (as SHE says she was doing) you  could have just as easily have used the BRAKE and stopped the car and cut off the engine.  Problem solved without striking someone.

I'm not defending him, I just don't jump to the conclusion that she is right and he is wrong based solely on what one half of the story is.

Based on my experience in this area, both would have been charged with domestic assault.
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 7:41pm »

Bump, I'm calling Al a jerk based on all the years of racing that I've been watching, not because he hit his girlfriend.  Although, that just makes him a double jerk.  Grin
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 9:07pm »

LOL Crypto, your "racin" bias is showing Grin  Spoken like a true race fan. Wink

But I don't think Little Al has a lock on the "Jerk" thing, fame goes quickly to the head of a lot of them.
IP Logged

Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 10:49pm »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 7:45pm, crypto wrote:
Eric,

It wouldn't surprise me if the charges were dropped.  

The news out of Indy today is that the charges probably will be dropped.  It seems there is a lack of evidence, the lady in question was very calm and unemotional when she called 911, I've heard the tape played several times today and it was like------------ho, hum my boyfriend left me standing along the interstate and I need a ride (not the words she used).  Her injuries were superficial.  The media is also saying that she may ask that the charges be dropped.  I'll keep you posted.
IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12th, 2002, 7:56am »

on Jul 11th, 2002, 10:49pm, Irishlass wrote:

The news out of Indy today is that the charges probably will be dropped.  

Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes Grin
IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.