Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:31pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Hacker Laws »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Hacker Laws
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hacker Laws  (Read 789 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Hacker Laws
« on: Jul 17th, 2002, 9:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The US House of Representatives has approved a bill which raises the penalty for computer crime to a maximum of life imprisonment.  

Crackers who put lives at risk, either knowingly or through "reckless" behaviour, could be sent to jail for life under measures in the Cyber Security Enhancement Act, which the house yesterday passed an overwhelming majority by 385 votes to three.  

The bill also seeks to impose tougher sentencing regimes for computer criminals.  

Controversy, however, centres on measures designed water down ISPs responsibility to protect their users data and turn into government snitches.  

The bill encourages ISPs to report suspicious activity on their networks (whatever that might be), even if it poses no immediate threat, and shield them from lawsuits from anyone objecting to such privacy intrusions. Service providers are also required to keep customer records, including emails, for 90 days, under the bill.  

Civil liberties groups are concerned that the Act will erode Internet privacy because it could give law enforcement agencies leverage in obtaining records from service providers without the tedious business of obtaining a search warrant.  

The bill has to go to Senate, where it is expected to receive little opposition, before becoming law.
IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: Hacker Laws
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 3:44pm »

hmmmm so what happens to little johnny (johnathon) who commits an offence but he lives in the uk?

btw, his internet hacking affects americans.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2002, 3:45pm by east » IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 3:57pm »

Easy, solution simple.  We have an extradiction treaty with England.  We get the warrant, go over there, jerk little Johnny up from his computer, haul his butt to Heathrow and fly him back here to stand trial.  Afterward, we encarcerate him until he is too old and his fingers too arthritic to pound a keyboard! :smash:

OK, maybe that wouldn't work, but it's a good thought! :evilgrin:

IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 5:20pm »

After having had repeated attempts by Little Johnnys hack my products or attempt to hack my servers, and or/or flood my servers with denial of service attacks, and one successful hacking where beta code was stolen of my product....

I'd sure like to see something happen to little Johnny no matter what country he's in, if he's hurting our buisinesses.  I don't think he should go to jail for life, but I'm in favor of the programs that make it so they are not allowed online for X amount of time and go to a probation officer (or the equivalent there of) and do some community service for the mischief they've caused and the money they have cost someone.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.