Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:10am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Missing Groene boy »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Missing Groene boy
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Missing Groene boy  (Read 4581 times)
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Missing Groene boy
« on: Jul 11th, 2005, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

News feeds this morning said that the remains found in Montana (??) have been identified through DNA as his... Sad
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: Missing Groene boy
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 11:16am »

I'm not surprised by this, but I am saddened by it.  I'm actually rather surprised he kept the girl alive.
IP Logged
AoM
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Biomajorbeth
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 11:46am »

same here Rhune.  There's nothing they can do to this guy that will in ANY way make him pay for his crimes.
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 11:57am »

I don't think the girl would have survived had she not been spotted.  I think he'd have "used" her and then killed her also.  Thank God those people at the Denny's recognized her and kept her there... they more than likely saved her life!
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 1:52pm »

....sad, but I'm not surprized.
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 4:44pm »

Its sad.
IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 5:33pm »

I'm a little baffled that he took her into the Denny's, especially in the same town she had been abducted in, when he'd been all over the area in different states.  Why take that risk?  If she had not been spotted this guy would completely have gotten away with this - NO ONE put him at the scene of the crime until she did, he wasn't even anyone they were looking at.  I'm GLAD he was caught, but am baffled as to why he'd put himself at that much risk of being caught when he had almost gotten away scott free.  Maybe it was the thrill of the risk...
IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 7:14pm »

I'm surprised at the lack of evidence at the crime scene.  I don't know how much access they have to crime labs up there, but you'd think they'd have found something.  He must have worn gloves or they would have picked him up as a wanted man.

Taking her to Denny's in that town was either arrogance or stupidity or he wanted to be caught.   One poor little girl who'll have to testify against this creep unless he pleas guilty.  I hope the courts handle Shasta with care.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 7:22pm »

He obviously planned this for some time.  I am certain he stalked them like a serial killer does, picking his victims and planning his event carefully.  In a day and age of CSI, some criminals have gotten smarter.  It sounds like Shasta is a very tough little girl, able to talk about this in great detail with the police, without breaking down.  Perhaps anger is keeping her focused.  Whatever is holding her strong at this point I hope it continues to hold her up until the trial is over, and then I hope she gets the therapy she needs so that she doesn't have to hide behind it for the rest of her life.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 3:30pm »

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho — Convicted sex offender Joseph Edward Duncan (search) bragged to his 8-year-old captive during more than six weeks on the run, telling her how he used a shotgun and hammer to kill her family after staking out their home for days, court documents say.  

Little Shasta Groene (search) remembered it all and has been providing authorities with details that are building a strong case against Duncan, charged Tuesday with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of first-degree kidnapping.

"He told her he was out driving around looking for children to kidnap," Kootenai County (search) sheriff's Detective Brad Maskell testified during a probable cause hearing. "He glanced over at the Wolf Lodge property and saw her playing in the yard with her brother and wearing a bathing suit. At that point he chose them as possible kidnap victims."

U.S. Attorney Tom Moss of Boise said Tuesday that Duncan will face federal kidnapping charges because he is accused of taking Shasta and her 9-year-old brother Dylan across a state line into Montana and killing Dylan. The federal prosecution will follow the state murder case, Moss said.

Duncan, 42, who could face the death penalty, was expected to make a preliminary appearance Wednesday in state court on the murder and kidnapping charges. Kootenai County Prosecutor Bill Douglas said he would ask that Duncan continue to be held without bail.

Duncan's mother, Lillian, who lives in Tacoma, told The Seattle Times for Wednesday's edition that she had spoken briefly with her son after his arrest. She said he told her he loved her and that he showed remorse.

"I don't know what he has done or what he hasn't done," Mrs. Duncan said. "I still love him, he's my son."

Meanwhile, Shasta's family is trying to make sure the child does not see news coverage of the crimes. Darlene Torres, Shasta's grandmother, said the girl was "devastated" Tuesday morning when she was changing the television channel and spotted a picture of Duncan.

"She saw this guy and said `There's Jet!"' Torres said, referring to a nickname used by Duncan. "It was really disturbing."

All the state charges relate to the deaths of the children's mother Brenda Groene, 40, brother Slade Groene, 13, and Mark McKenzie, 37, Brenda's boyfriend, at the family's home near here.

Public defender John Adams declined comment. "We try to do our litigation in the courtroom," he said.

The gruesome new details were contained in the minutes and a recording of a closed-door probable cause hearing Tuesday before 1st District Magistrate Judge Scott Wayman.

The recording of Maskell's testimony indicated that, despite her youth and weeks of captivity, Shasta has been an unusually observant witness.

The little girl has accurately described how her family members were bound with zip-ties and duct tape, where they were in the house, that Duncan wore dark gloves and had a shotgun and night vision goggles. She recalled the brand name of the hammer used to bludgeon the victims, which she noted after Duncan displayed the hammer to her.

"He explained to her that that item was what he used to kill Mark, and Brenda and Slade," Maskell said. "He also described striking Slade with the shotgun."

The shotgun was found inside Duncan's vehicle.

"Shasta was very specific that Mr. Duncan is the only person responsible for these acts," Maskell added.

It also became clear that Shasta witnessed some horrible things, even after she and Dylan were bound and carried out of the house by Duncan early on the morning of May 16.

At one point, Slade Groene stumbled out of the house into the darkness, bleeding profusely from the head, and walked around in a daze while the two children yelled for him to untie them. Slade was unable to respond and his body was found in the house.

Shasta also reported hearing yells of pain from McKenzie, apparently as he was beaten to death with the hammer.

During weeks of captivity at a remote campsite in the Lolo National Forest in western Montana, Duncan told Shasta that he cased the family's home for two to three days, using night-vision goggles to look in the windows and study the occupants' habits and the layout.

The goggles and McKenzie's wallet were found in Duncan's vehicle, Maskell said.

The girl told detectives her ordeal began when her mother woke her and brought her into the living room. There she said she saw Duncan wearing dark gloves and holding the gun.

Few other details about Duncan's weeks on the run with Shasta and Dylan were released, including whether Shasta witnessed the death of Dylan. Previous court documents have indicated Duncan began sexually abusing the children almost immediately.

Shasta was rescued early on the morning of July 2, when employees and customers at the Denny's restaurant in Coeur d'Alene recognized her and called police. A waitress stalled Duncan until officers could arrive.

Duncan was charged last week with two state counts of kidnapping. Those counts will be dismissed to make way for the federal charges, Douglas said.

Under federal law, a kidnapping that results in a death is punishable by death, said spokeswoman Jean McNeil of the U.S. attorney's office in Boise.

Duncan, a native of Tacoma, Wash., was convicted there in 1980 of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy at gunpoint. He was released from prison in 2000 and moved to Fargo, N.D., to attend North Dakota State University.

He was released on $15,000 bail earlier this year in Becker County, Minn., after being charged with molesting a 6-year-old boy. Police in Fargo had been looking for him since he failed to check in with a probation agent there in May.

Police said he got the $15,000 from a Fargo businessman, Joe Crary, 51, who said he became acquainted with Duncan on bicycle trails around Fargo and believed his claims of innocence
IP Logged
FLORIDAGIRL
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My All Time Favorite Team

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 4:01pm »

This guy is a sicko!!!  The child's memory sounds impeccable condsidering what she has been through.  He will get the death penalty...which will be too easy on him.

Can you imagine how this child's dad feels?  If it were my kid I would be ready to go after this sicko with my bare hands!!!
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 5:53pm »

Absolutely!  This creep is beyond sick!
Whatever is done to him is too good for the  
heinous crimes he has commited against people.
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
rcs_mum
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Proud Mom!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 9:29pm »

I wonder what kind of life this girl will have after going through this.

I hope she gets all the help she will need.
IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 8:57am »

I hope Duncan pleads guilty (or whatever it's called when they go right to sentencing) so Shasta doesn't have to testify, or that they'll accept taped testimony if it goes to trial.  Shasta has already been through things that could destroy a person, and testifying with Duncan sitting in front of her would be too traumatic.   My heart hurts for this little girl and for what the family suffered.
IP Logged
AoM
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Biomajorbeth
View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 9:08am »

I can't imagine going on with your life after watching your family being murdered and them being sexually abused by the murderer.  That poor poor child.  What he did to her was far worse than murder.
IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.