Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:26am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Sex in shop class; teacher present. »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Sex in shop class; teacher present.
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sex in shop class; teacher present.  (Read 4029 times)
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

331122624 331122624   racedude122003   racedude122003
View Profile WWW

Sex in shop class; teacher present.
« on: Mar 13th, 2007, 6:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sandra Chapman/13 Investigates

Indianapolis - For months it's been a well-kept secret. But now Warren Township Schools confirm a disturbing case of sex in the classroom. The illicit activity has parents concerned and a district at a loss for words.  

Shop class gives students a chance to learn outside of the book. But at Warren Township's Raymond Park Middle School, two students engaged in illicit acts in view of goggled eyes.

13 Investigates was tipped off by a disturbed resident who writes:  

"...during school hours in a classroom with an experienced teacher present, two sixth graders completed the act of intercourse...at least ten students were witnesses. No disciplinary actions were taken against the teacher... All teachers were told to keep quiet."

Middle school students having sex in a busy classroom while a teacher is present? Warren Township Associate Superintendent Jeff Swensson confirmed it's true. It's been kept under wraps since November.  

The principal at Raymond Park Middle School would not speak to us about the incident or parents concerns. The superintendent in charge of middle schools in the district also backed out of an on-camera interview and instead provided a three-sentence statement:

"Two students were involved in inappropriate conduct in a lab class last semester. We have investigated the matter and taken appropriate action. The school corporation considers the matter closed and will have no further comment."

Associate Superintendent Jeff Swensson told Eyewitness News off camera the teacher didn't know what was going on because another student acted as a "look-out." But once the teacher discovered the behavior, immediate action was taken. Swensson says the students involved were recommended for expulsion. But he did not say whether the board followed that recommendation.

Warren Township School Police were not aware of the incident and say no report was made even though the children were recommended for expulsion.  

We sought comment from all seven Warren Township School Board Members about how this case was handled. No one was available to speak with us.  
IP Logged
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

Re: Sex in shop class; teacher present.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 6:45pm »

Wow, I'm personally appauled to hear such a horible story! I can't bear to imagine what else has happened in that school. Personally this is what needs to happen:

The Shop Teacher Needs to be Fired.
All other teachers who knew of the incident but did nothing need to be fired.
The 10 witnesses that did nothing but watch and act as a shield so the teacher couldn't see thus allowing the kids to do intercourse should all be suspended.
The two students should be expelled.  
All Administration should be fired.

It's just sad that the school would try to hide this for 5 months. It's sick.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2007, 6:47pm by Tyler » IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 7:29pm »

If the shop teacher had no idea it was happening and then stopped it as soon as he found out and reported it properly, etc., I don't think he should be fired.  I think the administration that didn't take it any further and told the teachers to shut their mouths should be terminated asap.  The fact that all the teachers kept this quiet for this long tells me either it very corrupt at that school morally, or the teachers felt in fear of the administration and what they would do if they spoke out.  I would agree that the kids that stood lookout should be suspended, and maybe even some kind of community service required to be completed during that suspension.  It needs to be a lesson, not a vacation.  The students that had the sex, yeah, I'd expell them.
IP Logged
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:00pm »

Yes, I don't know exactly where this school is but it is within 30 minutes to an hour of me if I'd have to guess but I may be wrong.  

However, the teachers knew about this and they could have done somthing about it. They could/should have reported it to the police or told concerned parents. The shop teacher who made an attempt also could have done somthing by telling parents or police. I agree that Administration is in a deeper whole but the teachers still could have done somthing besides sit on their ass and watch Admins do nothing.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:05pm »

The teacher was told to shut up, he/she would have been fired long ago and not keep their jobs until now if they run their mouth.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:06pm by Joab » IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:07pm »

The teacher can't get fired for reporting somthing when the Administration should be doing that. That's not even a valid reason to fire a teacher.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Seriously, it's office politics. Roll Eyes

I've seen too much of this (not the sex part, we don't have cases like that) in my secondary school. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:14pm by Joab » IP Logged

http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:19pm »

I seriously think the teacher wasn't at fault, there's nothing she could have done to stop 2 sensible (insensible?) teenagers from refraining their scandalous act.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:21pm by Joab » IP Logged

Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:20pm »

That's true but they could have some somthing after it had happened.
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:31pm »

As a teacher, I can tell you, my responsibility is to report it to the administration and then it is their decision whether or not to report it to police.   However, I would have also contacted parents.  The only reason I can see for the teacher NOT contacting the parents is if he/she was told by admin that they would take care of it and then didn't.

And, yes, it is grounds for firing a teacher if they tell after their told not to.  Due to privacy acts, we are not allowed to discuss certain things with anyone other than the parent of the child involved.  

We've had several incidences of things at our school, and we are clearly told to not discuss it with other teachers, parents, students, etc.  And if it is discussed and they find out, then it is grounds for dismissal.
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:34pm »

Quote:
we are not allowed to discuss certain things with anyone other than the parent of the child involved.

Which was not done. I still think that this was easily avoidable.
IP Logged
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 9:03pm »

It's on the news now. They showed the room. It's a computer classroom with tall dividers AND it's a double classroom where the teacher can only be in one room at a time.
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 12:06am »

I've got a couple of things I would like to say regarding this thread.

First:  Racedude AND Popo list SINGAPORE as their home in their profiles and display a foreign flag as part of their Signature..   If you want to speak to current news events in the United States and wish to be taken seriously, CORRECT YOUR PROFILE.  
Second:  It is also obivious that both of these posters are juveniles and do not yet fully understand U.S. law as it applies to School situations and Personnel issues.  

While you might be "appauled" at this news story, I suspect you meant "appalled".   If I were moderating this area, I would have removed the extemporaneous comments posted by you two after the initial thread starter.  I suggest that you might want to limit your contributions to areas that may be more in line with your capabilities.  One only has to review your posts to understand that both of you are out of your element here.

Now, as to the topic of the thread:

With just a review of what has been provided, here is what should occur or did occur:

The Teacher and Administration of the school was made aware of the situation, obiviously after the fact.

Once the Teacher makes the Administration aware of the situation, his adjudicatory role in the situation has been passed to his superior.  Based on what has been posted, this was done.  It would also be inappropriate for other teachers in this school to comment on a situation that they are not involved in.  I would suspect that school policy would also prevent this (as it does in most schools).

The Administration has the responsibility to investigate the situation, and apparently did so.  With 30 years of LE experience, 10 years of that in juvenile related units investigating everything from armed robbery to rape, and any other crime occuring in the schools, I would suspect that since the school supervisory parties were unable to intervene in this incident when it took place, and only learned of it at some later point in time, direct evidence was not available.  That leaves hearsay evidence. (he said, she said) of an incident that may or may not have actually/physically been "completed".   It also appears that both parties were consenting, and of similar age.  
At that point, the School Administration has the difficulty of (1) getting to the bottom of the situation while at the same time (2) adhering to the statuatory requirements of protecting not only the two direct individuals involved, but ALL of the minors involved and in that class, AND also adhering to U.S. law as it relates to school personnel privacy issues, ADA, etc.  It would also not be for public knowledge if a report of the incident was reported to the Police.  Based on the facts presented, there would be no compelling public "right to know".  The matter might very well be handled at a "lower than court level"  (Intake)  if the two individuals had no prior offenses.  Also, if Child Protective Services/Social Services were involved, the public would not be made aware of that fact.

While it might make good TV, not every situation is going to be handled like it was the Anna Nicole Smith story.  REAL justice (especially juvenile justice) doesn't happen that way.
There is also no obligation (at least in the states here on the east coast, that I am aware of) for the School to notify the Police whenever they recommend to the School Board that a student be expelled.

I am not surprised that a "disturbed resident" reported the incident to the TV news.  THEY jumped on it for the "sensational" value.  Nothing new there.  I would suspect that this "disturbed resident" was probably a parent of one of the students in that class.  My cinical side tells me that it probably was the parent of one of those students who served as "lookouts" , and later got suspended or otherwise disciplined . . . . and the parent got pissed.  Or it could have been some other nosy individual who has an axe to grind or just wants to know what the outcome was.  Sorry, but if it's not in the best interest of the child/children involved, details are not going to be made public.  That's the law.

Bottom line:  Situation occurred.  School Administration made aware.  Discipline administered to the effected students.  The affected Teacher?  Well, the School Administration states that when he became aware of the situation he reported it.  He was not made aware of the incident while it was occurring, and it sounds like others in the class conspired to keep him from becoming aware of it.  The teacher should bear no blame in this incident.  

So Racedude, your hysterics are all for naught.

Based on what is presented in the initial post:
The Shop Teacher should not be fired.
Any other teacher who knew about the situation should also not be fired.
The School Administration acted properly and should not be fired.
Affected students were recommended for the appropriate discipline.

. . . . . and by now it's old news to Channel 13 and I'm almost positive they're looking for their next "big breaking"  sensational story.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2007, 1:42am by Bumper » IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 3:30pm »

Quote:
First:  Racedude AND Popo list SINGAPORE as their home in their profiles and display a foreign flag as part of their Signature..   If you want to speak to current news events in the United States and wish to be taken seriously, CORRECT YOUR PROFILE.    
Second:  It is also obivious that both of these posters are juveniles and do not yet fully understand U.S. law as it applies to School situations and Personnel issues.    

While you might be "appauled" at this news story, I suspect you meant "appalled".   If I were moderating this area, I would have removed the extemporaneous comments posted by you two after the initial thread starter.  I suggest that you might want to limit your contributions to areas that may be more in line with your capabilities.  One only has to review your posts to understand that both of you are out of your element here.  

Whatever.  

I should have known that I can't post a simple opinion of mine without you jumping all over me about simple things.  

I apologize for even bothering to start the topic and making my opinion since I'm a juvenile.  Roll Eyes

Actually, on second thought. I'm not done with my rant..

I am not sorry for deciding to post my opinion. I have every right too. Bumper, you have every right to disagree and I have not a problem with that. But seeing how you rudely did it by saying I am a juvenile, and don't understand things and all the other rubbish you had said about Popo & I both. That is what has me fired up right now. I posted my opinion and get bashed at.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2007, 3:45pm by Tyler » IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 5:05pm »

on Mar 14th, 2007, 3:30pm, RaCeDuDe wrote:

Whatever.  

I should have known that I can't post a simple opinion of mine without you jumping all over me about simple things.  

I apologize for even bothering to start the topic and making my opinion since I'm a juvenile.  Roll Eyes

Actually, on second thought. I'm not done with my rant..

I am not sorry for deciding to post my opinion. I have every right too. Bumper, you have every right to disagree and I have not a problem with that. But seeing how you rudely did it by saying I am a juvenile, and don't understand things and all the other rubbish you had said about Popo & I both. That is what has me fired up right now. I posted my opinion and get bashed at.

hmmm... by definition... you are...  

ju·ve·nile  
adj.

1. Not fully grown or developed; young.
   2. Of, relating to, characteristic of, intended for, or appropriate for children or young people: juvenile fashions.
   3. Marked by immaturity; childish: juvenile behavior. See synonyms at young.

n.

1. A young person; a child.
    2. A young animal that has not reached sexual maturity.
   2. An actor who plays roles of children or young persons.
   3. A children's book.

And to stay on topic, it has nothing to do with your posting or opinion.  There are laws that govern what teachers can and can not do.  Speaking to anyone other than our immediate supervisor can result in termination.  IF I reported it to the admin before I spoke with a parent and was told not to contact the parent, that they would take care of it, that too could result in being terminated.  I have a whole list of rules about what I can say and who I can say it to in a every possible situation (bomb, hostage, assault, etc. etc. etc.)

You can't go around making rash comments about what could have/should have been done when you don't have all the facts, you just have a sensationalized news report.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2007, 5:11pm by yesteach » IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.