Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:21pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Facebook's FarmVille attracting millions »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Facebook's FarmVille attracting millions
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Facebook's FarmVille attracting millions  (Read 1094 times)
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

Facebook's FarmVille attracting millions
« on: Jan 26th, 2010, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ST. LOUIS - Even while calling Chicago home, Laura Hawkins Grimes is a country bumpkin. Her scenic rural spread has three dairy farms, two ponds and a log cabin, all skirted by a white picket fence as scarecrows stand sentry over her blackberries.

And the best part is the 40-year-old sex therapist never has to leave her computer to tend to it all.

She's one of tens of millions of occupants of FarmVille, a near-utopian, wildly popular online fantasy game where folks rush to another neighbor's aid, ribbons readily come as rewards, plants don't get diseased and there's never a calamitous frost, flood or drought.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Since its launch last summer, the cartoonish simulation game has become a Facebook phenomenon, luring in everyone from urbanites like Grimes to actual farmers while gently nudging people to think more about where their food comes from.

"It's kind of what you don't see every day," Grimes said of FarmVille by Zynga, a San Francisco-based developer of games widely played at online hangouts such as Facebook. "I have to say, living in Chicago, what appeals to me about FarmVille is it's not urban."

FarmVille — with more than 72 million monthly users worldwide, the most talked-about application in Facebook status updates — heads a growing stable of simulated agriculture that also includes SlashKey's Farm Town on Facebook and PlayMesh's recently launched iFarm for the iPhone.

Purposely simplistic, FarmVille lets players build and trick out their farms, starting with a tiny parcel they till and seed with a range of crops including berries, eggplant, wheat, soybeans, artichokes and pumpkins. Players can add pigs, cows and chickens and accouterments such as barns, chicken coops, windmills and greenhouses.

As is the case on real farmland, attentiveness in FarmVille is vital. Players who diligently tend to their crops see their farms flourish and their bank balances balloon. Those late with their harvests may see their crops — and their investment — shrivel and die.

Neighbors get rewarded with points and gold for scaring away pests, fertilizing or feeding chickens on another player's spread.

"One thing we feel we got right is it has extremely broad appeal," said Bill Mooney, Zynga's vice president and general manager. "Everybody likes farming, whether you're a gardener, whether you grew up on a farm or your grandparents did. It's literally something everyone can relate with."

And with FarmVille, "there's an appeal that's just cute, with the amazing ways people take the farms and develop them out as their own."

In the end, he hopes, "people will see this as a fun little escape."

INTERACTIVE

Facebook survival guide for awkward adults
The fastest growing group on Facebook is the 35-54-year-old set. Here's an orientation guide so you don't act like an idiot.
Grimes sure has. The transplanted Oklahoman who detests video games and has no farm background razzed her FarmVille-loving friends before her sister successfully prodded her to join.

Now, she admits, "I'm a total FarmVille freak."

A mother of a 3-year-old daughter and the wife of a paramedic, Grimes squeezes in simulated farming between appointments and parenting. She devotes less than an hour each day "in little bitty spurts" to eventually max out her FarmVille spread to resemble a whimsical menagerie — black sheep, pink calves, penguins, reindeer with flashing Christmas lights in their antlers.

"It was completely mindless and just mine," she said. "I could decide where everything went, I could decide when it happened. I got to move things around. I got to make it look nice."

She loves getting rewards at every turn, often for helping a neighbor. And she credits FarmVille with hastening her reconnection with old friends, including a fourth-grade schoolmate who's now living next door to her in this online agricultural experience.

"I don't know anything about her life except she's a really nice neighbor — she leaves me little posts, she sends me nice gifts, harvests my crops. And it makes me feel better about people in my life," Grimes said. "What's so nice about this is it's really about camaraderie, like you depend on people to do things for you."

"I really would have never thought this would have been something I do," she said.

Even actual farmers are digging it. In his central Illinois farmhouse near Windsor, 31-year-old bachelor Darin Doehring started playing months ago with the game he credits with helping him wait out sogginess that hampered harvesting of his 2,000 acres of real corn and soybeans.

"There were more times this past fall I was doing my crops more on there (FarmVille), than I was in the field because of the rain and mud outside. I enjoy it," Doehring said, noting that he wished the fantasy game posed more challenges mimicking real-life ones farmers face, including weather events.

Click for related content
Facebook’s fantasy games cost more than time
Check your Facebook privacy settings. Now!
Privacy is dead on Facebook. Get over it.

Mooney of Zynga says that isn't likely: "We don't want it to be a punishing experience. We want this to be a positive."

To John Reifsteck, a corn-and-soybean grower in Champaign County, Illinois, there are parallels between virtual and actual farming. "Success at FarmVille requires foresight, persistence and a willingness to help others — just like farming in the real world," he wrote in an online column last month.

And while he doesn't play FarmVille — "I work in the fields for a living" — he understands those who do and welcomes FarmVille's popularity.

"It's a healthy sign for agriculture — but only if players don't come to think that running a farm is as easy as FarmVille makes it seem," he wrote. "If FarmVille was as difficult and complicated as actual farming, probably no one would play it."
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

--
This is proof, Facebook is taking over the world.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: Facebook's FarmVille attracting millions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 8:05pm »

My name is Yesteach, and I'm a FarmVille addict.. Sad
  www.facebook.com/yesteach
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 11:24pm »

You people need help.
IP Logged
ImANewUser
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2010, 10:54pm »

I prefer Tycoons to Farmville, sry.
IP Logged

I wanna see if I can embark on reviving Forumsnet. I hope I succeed. I really miss this place. Cheesy
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 6:52am »

I actually prefer Farm Town to FarmVille. What kills me are people who spend actual money to buy "stuff" for their farm! I only "buy" things that cost coins you get in the game... Undecided
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 1:33pm »

Me too.
I actually play:

Farmville, Petville, Happy Aquarium, Fishville, Cafe World, and MyTown but i only check them like twice a day. And i'd never spend real money on items.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

elizabethyong2001   dreamsofelle
View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 10:33am »

I'm a Mousehunt and Sorority Life addict.

I used to be addicted to Farmville, Pet Society, and Mafia Wars
IP Logged

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 1:55pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBDAcOEKuI
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 9:41am »

I play FarmTown, FarmVille, Sorority Life and some island thing. I tried the aquariums, but all my fish kept dying when I didn't have time to check on them... Smiley
IP Logged

ImANewUser
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2010, 7:29am »

I haven't tried Mouse Hunt yet. :laff:
IP Logged

I wanna see if I can embark on reviving Forumsnet. I hope I succeed. I really miss this place. Cheesy
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20th, 2010, 8:46pm »

I'm intrigued.. if I get hooked on Mousehunt, Elizabeth, it's all your fault.. :laff:
IP Logged

rainahuang
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2017, 3:35am »

Heart And Soul Bonds Wholesale Ugg Boots
Our lives are greeted by different types of relationships. Some fun, some cozy and intimate, some crazy and adventurous, some inseparable. Nevertheless, new balance pas cherthere are also other type of connections, moncler saldi which transcend these. adidas chaussures These are the heart and soul bonds. Scarpe nike uomoOne does not need to talk or exchange messages but still there is a knowing or a feeling of the other person. pandora jewelry Here the channels of heart and soul connection are alive. louboutin pas cher chine
We have all experienced this at some moments in life. UGG bottes FemmeLike when you are wishing to eat a special dish and without saying a word your mother/father/housemate makes it for you. When you have suddenly thought of a friend and felt as though she was not ok nice adidas shoes and you call to say hi, you discover she is going through a tough patch. Wholesale Ugg BootsThe electricity you feel running through your body when you connect with someone so profoundly. scarpe nike runningThe time when you meet someone in your dreams and it feels so real. When you look deeply into someone's eyes and you just know their true essence.  Wholesale Ugg BootsWhen your spouse has a stomachache and u can feel the sympathy pain.  new balance saleWhen you think of someone and then suddenly they call you unexpectedly and you say “Hey! I was just thinking of you!” When you are thinking about something and the next moment your friend talks about the same thing - almost completing your statements. Nike Air Max new balance femme
We share them with a few people in our lives; we can actually share them with more. It sounds ridiculous. However, it exists for each one of us.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.