Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:04am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « another suicide bomber »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   another suicide bomber
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: another suicide bomber  (Read 682 times)
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

another suicide bomber
« on: May 7th, 2002, 9:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sharon: 'The battle continues'
Suicide bombing kills 15
May 8, 2002 Posted: 2:12 AM EDT (0612 GMT)

Sharon: "He who rises up to kill us, we will pre-empt it and kill him first."    

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon angrily condemned Tuesday's suicide bombing that killed 15 people and wounded dozens more at a crowded Israeli billiard hall and vowed that Israel would act to stop Palestinian terror attacks.  

"The battle continues and will continue until all those who believe that they can make gains through the use of terrorism will cease to exist -- cease to exist," Sharon said. He said Israel would defend itself and that "he who rises up to kill us, we will pre-empt it and kill him first."  

Hamas and the Islamic fundamentalist group's military wing -- Izzedine al Qassam -- on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the terror attack.  

The powerful explosion ripped through the club in Rishon Letzion, a coastal town about 15 miles south of Tel Aviv. The blast caused the building's ceiling to collapse and trapping some people in the rubble, an Israeli ambulance service spokesman said.  

Emergency workers said at least 57 people were wounded: Mark Regev, an Israeli official in Washington, said the Israel Defense Forces reported 20 of the wounded were in critical condition. At least one of the victims died in the hospital.  

The billiard hall was part of an entertainment complex popular with young people in an industrial area of Rishon Letzion, a mostly middle-class Jewish city with a population of about 100,000.  

About two hours after the bombing, Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat issued a statement condemning the attack "in the strongest possible terms."  

"I depart now to Israel with a heavy heart, heavy with grief and heavy with rage -- the rage of every man and woman in Israel; the rage of each and every Jew in the world; the rage of all those who share our values of freedom, liberty and democracy," he told reporters Tuesday night.  

"Israel will fight for these values. Israel will fight anyone who tries to threaten these values. Israel will fight anyone who tries, through suicide terrorism, to sow fear," he added. "Israel will fight. Israel will triumph, and when victory prevails, Israel will make peace."  

Sharon said the Israeli Cabinet would meet to discuss Israel's response once he returns to Israel. He said there was no way to move forward with peace until there is reform in the Palestinian Authority, which he called "a terrorist and corrupt entity."  

"Today, in the face of all our sincere efforts to move forward on the political path, we received another proof of the true intentions of the person leading the Palestinian Authority," Sharon said. "Those who call for millions of tears are guilty, those who constantly incite are guilty. Those who fan terrorism are guilty. Those who launch terrorism are guilty."  

Bush conveyed condolences to the Israeli leader and expressed "his disgust at this wanton taking of innocent life," said National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.  

'It looked like a terrible dream'
The bomber reportedly walked a few steps into the Sheffield snooker club about 11:10 p.m. (4:10 p.m. ET). Inside, witnesses "noticed a stranger," a police spokesman told Reuters. "He had an odd expression. He walked three to four steps inside and detonated his explosives. There was no time to get away."  

One witness, who was leaving the building as the bomb went off, told CNN it was "the most deafening explosion you could imagine." Others said that they heard a loud explosion and saw a cloud of black smoke.  

"The entire floor flew in the air. It looked like a terrible dream," witness Hanir Azulei told Reuters.  

"The place was full of smoke, lots of ambulances, there was a lot of panic," Yigal Weiss told The Associated Press. He drove by the building shortly after the blast. (Full story)  

Ambulance workers care for an injured Israeli woman ouside the billiard hall.    
The U.S. State Department labels Hamas a terrorist organization. Its military wing, Izzedine al Qassam, has claimed responsibility for several terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians and attacks against the Israeli military.  

"The Palestinian Authority will take every possible action if it proves that those behind this attack had anything to do, or were coming from, Palestinian areas," said chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat. "We don't condone the killing of civilians, either Palestinians or Israelis."  

Arafat's statement said the attack causes "great negative damage" to the Palestinian cause and "gives Sharon the pretext to continue his aggression against Palestinian towns, villages and refugee camps."  

The statement said "severe measures" would be taken against those who carried out the attacks "and those who stand behind them."  

Church standoff settlement delayed
The explosion occurred on the third floor of the three-story building. Pictures on Israeli TV showed the structure was heavily damaged, with the windows blown out and a ceiling collapsed.  

The last Palestinian suicide bombing in Israel occurred April 12 and killed six people at an open air-market in Jerusalem.  

Tuesday night's attack came as negotiators continued to resolve the standoff that has stretched for more than a month at Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity. (Full story)  

Israeli and Palestinian officials had agreed to a plan that would allow most of the 123 Palestinians to go free.  

Under the terms of the deal, 13 Palestinians inside the Bethlehem, West Bank church whom Israel accuses of being "senior terrorists" would be deported and 26 would be returned to Gaza to stand trial.  

However, no country has agreed to accept the exiles.  

-- CNN correspondents Jerrold Kessel, Wolf Blitzer and John King contributed to this report.

IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
MzzJoplin
ForumsNet Member

Thaid no more ...

View Profile

Re: another suicide bomber
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2002, 3:24pm »

I don't even think that there are words to describe the feelings of horror/fear/disbelief I get when this subject comes up ... the whole thing just tears me up... sometimes I'm afraid that they're not going to stop doing this until it escalates and we're all dead ... I'm sorry if I seem grim, but that's really how I feel about this sometimes ... Other times I'm more optimistic and hope that they can find a way to co-exist peacefully ... In my very, very humble opinion, I don't think that either side is very right nowdays ...
IP Logged

"It's hard to be free, but when it works, it sure is worth it ... " ~ Janis Joplin
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: another suicide bomber
« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2002, 5:12pm »

amen mj amen...there are always three sides of the truth, yours, mine and the truth... Lips Sealed
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.