Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:39pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Alan Greenspan could have been ... »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Alan Greenspan could have been ...
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alan Greenspan could have been ...  (Read 644 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Alan Greenspan could have been ...
« on: Jul 6th, 2002, 7:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I enjoyed this tidbit:

"HERE'S a little gem from Leader of the Band: The life of Woody Herman, by Gene Lees. Many of the sax players who played in Herman's bands or "herds" went on to be famous in their own right, including Stan Getz, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn. Two quit early, but their names may still sound familiar. Leonard Garment became White House counsel for President Richard M. Nixon. Alan Greenspan now heads the US Federal Reserve. "

IP Logged
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

Re: Alan Greenspan could have been ...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2002, 9:44am »

Thanks for the sax player trivia.  I plan on passing this along to my daughter.  She was an instrumental music major in college with saxophone being her primary instrument.  I think the Alan Greenspan information will be of particular interest to her.  I know it came as a surprise to me.  

Many successful people have a musical background.  More proof of the importance of music education. Wink
IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 6th, 2002, 11:58am »

I had no idea that Mr. Greenspan could jam with the best of them.  Shocker to me!  I happen to think Mr. Greenspan is one of the most influencal men in the states right now.  His economics mind is genius and when he speaks, consumers listen.  As an economics major, I have the highest regard for Alan Greenspan and now that I know he has music in his blood, I have that much more respect for him.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 7th, 2002, 7:25am »

on Jul 6th, 2002, 11:58am, crypto wrote:
I happen to think Mr. Greenspan is one of the most influencal men in the states right now.  His economics mind is genius and when he speaks, consumers listen.  
Math and music seem to be so inextricably linked.  

For you music fans here's another story, this time about copyright.  I happened upon it at a newsgroup called misc.int-property.  The issue is " Copyright in Silence".

It appears that John Cage composed and recorded a piece called 4:33 which was intended to be 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence.  It was recorded live so there are sounds in the piece but they are not the composition they are the audience reacting to the piece and the sound of the keyboard being closed at the end.

Here's the story from one poster to that newsgroup:

[snip] John Cage produced a "music" piece called "4:33", which  
was actually 4 minutes 33 seconds of total silence.  Recently, Mike Batt  
produced an album, and he put a minute of silence between the regular  
songs and a bonus track.  As a joke, he put a title "1 Minute of  
Silence" on that track, and credited it to composer Clint Cage, a  
pseudonym he registered for himself.

The publishers of John Cage's album then claimed copyright infringement  
-- that his one minute of silence was an unauthorized quote of his 4:33  
of silence![/snip]

an interesting commentary follows amongst the newsgroup members if you want to find it here is a link which should work, http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&a mp;threadm=slrnai5rqc.93.isaac%40latveria.castledoom.org&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcopyright%2Bon%2Bsilence%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dslrnai5rqc.93.isaac%2540latveria.castledoom.org%26rnum%3D1   .  If that doesn't work then you could try a Google Search on Groups for the words Copyright in Silence.  
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2002, 7:26am by Addams » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.