Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 8:44am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Have you seen or smelled the smoke? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Have you seen or smelled the smoke?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Have you seen or smelled the smoke?  (Read 370 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Have you seen or smelled the smoke?
« on: Jul 8th, 2002, 6:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not sure how far the smoke from those Quebec forest fires is spreading.  This morning's paper says the burning of some of the province's richest forest stocks is sending a haze out over eastern north america stretching as far south as Washington DC.

Only two Cree villages have had evacuations and I believe this is because of the sickening smoke.

I have asthma myself and on Saturday a simple walk outside was very difficult.  It was better on Sunday morning but seemed to worsen again through the day.  Those with Asthma are being cautioned to stay inside.

There is also a warning in Montreal for all elderly and young children.  These are the groups most at risk.  I am glad that Wednesday is with her dad in Sault Ste marie visiting relatives.  

Weather conditions have caused the forests to be very dry and lightning is believed to have caused most, if not all, of the fires.

Without rain the smoke is so thick and severe that they cannot send planes of crews into locations to fight the fires.  One fire has burned over 650 square kilometres.  It is so sad to hear.  

The helicopters cannot succesfully drop their water loads because the water evaporates before it hits the fire.  That is how intense the heat is.  Of the approximate 44 fires, eleven are considered to be burning out of control.
IP Logged
Roo94
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: Have you seen or smelled the smoke?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2002, 7:08am »

addams

We can't smell the smoke - but we certainly can see it.  I'm in Rhode Island (southern New England).  Yesterday was a very odd day - the sun was out.  A burning orange globe way up in the sky - but none of the sunlight really made it to the ground.  There was this weird yellow tinge to the world.  It made me think of what the world would be like if a nuclear bomb had gone off somewhere and this was the fallout.  

Today is a little better - still smoky but not the yellow tinge of yesterday.  The weather forecasters say it will be going out to sea by this afternoon.

Creepy.  addams - be careful with your asthma.  It could be dangerous so be sure to stay inside!
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 8th, 2002, 8:50am »

Yikes.. my various cousins and their families are finally all safe from the Colorado fires.  I'm sorry to hear now other people I know are threatened by other fires. Sad
IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:22pm »

I live in south-central Pennsylvania, and they delayed our Independence Day fireworks from Sunday to Monday night because of the smoke, and the Dept. of Environmental Protection issued a health advisory warning children, the elderly and people with respritory illnesses to stay indoors during the day on Monday.  Pretty strange.

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.