Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Review: 'Finding Nemo' worth its salt »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Review: 'Finding Nemo' worth its salt
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Review: 'Finding Nemo' worth its salt  (Read 886 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: May 30th, 2003, 10:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

By Paul Clinton
CNN Reviewer
Friday, May 30, 2003 Posted: 11:26 AM EDT (1526 GMT)

(CNN) -- In the past, the partnership of Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios has brought us the "Toy Story" films, "A Bug's Life" and "Monsters, Inc." Their latest collaboration, "Finding Nemo" continues the amazing winning streak.  

This time the action takes place in the deep blue sea as we follow the adventures of a tiny clownfish named Marlin (voiced by Albert Brooks) and his young son Nemo (voiced by 9-year-old Alexander Gould). In the dog-eat-dog -- or in this case fish-eat-fish -- food chain of the open sea, Marlin loses his mate and 399 of their 400 unhatched eggs when they become lunch for a passing group of fish.  

The one remaining egg becomes Nemo, and Marlin, now a single parent, attempts to protect his son from everything and anything that could possibly harm him in any way. Naturally, Nemo resents this over protection and when he's old enough to attend fish "school," his curiosity gets the best of him, he wanders off, and becomes lost at sea.  

The stage is now set for adventure. Against all odds Marlin sets out to rescue his wayward son.  

Of course, no animated Disney flick is worth its salt without a wacky side-kick, and this time a blue tang fish named Dory (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres) fits the bill. Her sunny, optimistic -- and somewhat wacky -- attitude is in direct opposition to Marlin's doom and gloom outlook on life. She just has one little, itty, bitty problem. She has absolutely no short-term memory and forgets everything that happens to her within moments. You could say it all goes in one gill and out the other. Together this odd couple sets out to find little Nemo, who unbeknownst to them has been captured by deep sea divers and is now residing in a fish tank located in a dentist's office overlooking Sydney Harbor.  

Brave journey
Along the way, our reluctant heroes encounter a group of sharks, who are attempting to work a 12-Step program designed to change them from mindless eating machines into warm and fuzzy vegetarians, a huge group of killer jellyfish, a herd of terminally hip sea turtles and a flock of nasty seagulls.  

Their brave journey soon becomes the stuff of legend as the fish and fowl they meet along the way begin to gossip about the two brave fish and their impossible journey. Word reaches Nemo and his fellow aquarium inmates that help is on the way, and they, too, hatch a plan to move things along.  

In typical Disney fashion, this animated tale is meant to delight both adults and kids and comes with some life lessons wrapped in an entertaining story. Among other things, Nemo learns there's no place like home. Marlin learns the hard fact that his son must make his own mistakes and live his own life.  

Other animated films, most notably "The Little Mermaid," have taken place underwater, but the realism achieved in this film is truly remarkable. All the movement, reflections and refractions must have been a nightmare to duplicate, but the animators have done an excellent job of creating a reality that is picture perfect.  

Also, let's face it: Trying to make fish appealing and give them human characteristics is not an easy task when all you have to work with are a couple of fins and eyes. But again the folks at Pixar have managed to give all these various creatures individual and unique personalities.  

With animation fare such as this, so much depends on the casting of the voices. DeGeneres and Brooks are wonderful in their parts, as is young Gould in the title role. Other notable contributions were made by Willem Dafoe as Gill, a fish who befriends Nemo in the fish tank, Geoffrey Rush as Nigel, a gossipy pelican, and Barry Humphries as Bruce, the Great White shark who is desperately trying to change his eating habits.  

Bottom line: Add water and you have an instant Disney/Pixar classic.  

IP Logged
azure
ForumsNet Member
USA 

azure1967  
View Profile

Re: Review: 'Finding Nemo' worth its salt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2003, 6:58pm »

I took my boys to see this last night, they absolutely loved it!

I recommend it to everyone.  

I myself was rather humored by it as well, will more than likely be one I purchase

[font=Verdana][/font] Roll Eyes
IP Logged

HELLO EVERYBODY!!
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2003, 9:09pm »

This was  fabulous movie, well made!  Cool  Definitely worth the money I spent on it at the theatre and I would pay to see it in the theatre again.
IP Logged
azure
ForumsNet Member
USA 

azure1967  
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2003, 8:33am »

yes, I would definately see it again.  In fact it is at the drive in theatre so I may just take my boys to see it one night this week.   Cheesy
IP Logged

HELLO EVERYBODY!!
Sheisback
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Leave my Radio X alone!

112227174 112227174   Sheisback2001  
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2003, 1:58pm »

The lil blue fish... Hellen Degeneres gives her voice to...  
HI LA RIOUS !!! Cool Cool
IP Logged

Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then they beat you up with experience.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.