Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Review: 'Freaky Friday' funny, charming »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Review: 'Freaky Friday' funny, charming
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Review: 'Freaky Friday' funny, charming  (Read 1338 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Aug 10th, 2003, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

By Christy Lemire
Associated Press
Wednesday, August 6, 2003 Posted: 3:57 PM EDT (1957 GMT)

(AP) -- "Freaky Friday" is not the latest in Ice Cube's series of "Friday" comedies -- something the world doesn't need. It's a remake of the 1976 movie starring Jodie Foster and Barbara Harris -- something else I thought the world didn't need.  

As a little girl, I loved the movie (and the children's book by Mary Rodgers) about a mother and daughter who wake up to find they've switched bodies. Why go and ruin a good thing with a remake?  

But this new "Freaky Friday" is so funny and charming, it's better than I ever could have imagined. And that has everything to do with its stars.  

Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan have a great gift for physical comedy, and are so convincing -- this is going to sound ridiculous, I realize -- they actually make you believe they've swapped bodies for the day.  

Lohan (who starred as identical twins in another Disney remake, 1998's "The Parent Trap") takes over the Foster role as Anna, a teenager whose mother is, like, totally ruining her life.  

In Foster's hands, the character was a tomboy. Here, she's more of an Avril Lavigne type, with her stick-straight hair and baggy cargo pants. And like Lavigne, she plays the electric guitar and sings in a band, which her mom, Tess (Curtis), dismisses as noise.  

Tess, a psychiatrist whose husband died a few years ago, is preparing to get remarried to Ryan (Mark Harmon) in two days and is juggling a million things at once.  

Each thinks the other has it easy. After eating fortune cookies from a meddlesome woman who overhears them arguing at a Chinese restaurant, they find out the truth.  

Breezy bits
The next morning -- a Friday -- Anna is mortified to wake up in her mother's bed, in her mother's body. Tess, too, screams in horror when she awakens in Anna's pig sty of a bedroom and finds she's a teenager again.  

Madcap hilarity ensues: Tess must remember how to handle the stresses of boys and tests in high school, Anna must assuage needy patients and make last-minute wedding arrangements -- and drive the Volvo!  

Director Mark Waters (whose previous films include the forgettable romantic comedy "Head Over Heels") keeps the mood breezy and, mercifully, not too corny.  

And the dialogue from Heather Hach and Leslie Dixon's script never sounds forced -- even when Tess and Anna reach a greater understanding of each other's lives. In fact, when that moment comes at Tess' rehearsal dinner, it has a surprising amount of emotional resonance because you come to care about these characters so much.  

Actors have a blast
But "Freaky Friday" is all about the laughs, and it's great to see Curtis -- the longtime scream queen in the "Halloween" movies -- let loose and get a little goofy.  

"Could you, like, chill for a sec?" she scrunches her face and implores of Tess' fiance. Later, she has no problem tumbling over the back of a couch to avoid one of his kisses.  

Curtis hasn't had a chance like this to show off her physical comedy skills since "True Lies" nearly a decade ago. She seems to be having a blast doing it, and it's a blast to watch.  

Lohan, meanwhile, completely transforms -- her carriage, her cadence, everything about her seems more mature when Tess is inside Anna's body. She's cute, she's likable and has a ton of presence. It wouldn't freak me out at all to see her go far.  

"Freaky Friday," a Walt Disney Pictures release, is rated PG for mild thematic elements and some language.  

IP Logged
MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Praying for FN members/family health & happiness

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

Re: Review: 'Freaky Friday' funny, charming
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've seen so many previews of this movie and interviews with Jamies Lee Curtis - and so far, I'd love to see this.  Probably won't plunk down the theatre $'s so I'll wait for the video.  It looks like a sweet movie.
IP Logged

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.