Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Review: 'Le Divorce' top-notch comedy »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Review: 'Le Divorce' top-notch comedy
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Review: 'Le Divorce' top-notch comedy  (Read 1095 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Aug 11th, 2003, 11:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good acting, good timing triumph in Merchant-Ivory farce
By Christy Lemire
Associated Press
Friday, August 8, 2003 Posted: 11:39 AM EDT (1539 GMT)

(AP) -- Who knew a Merchant-Ivory film could be so much fun?  

Director and co-writer James Ivory and producer Ismail Merchant, best known for their stuffy, flawlessly appointed period pieces, offer their take on the French farce with "Le Divorce."  

The film is a blast with a glorious cast -- even though it loses its way a bit toward the end.  

Based on the novel by Diane Johnson, "Le Divorce" stars Kate Hudson and Naomi Watts as Isabel and Roxeanne, American sisters in Paris. Equally gorgeous and blond, with a seemingly genuine affection for each other, it's easy to believe they're siblings.  

Roxy is a poet, wife and mother with a second baby on the way. Isabel has flown in from California to visit her older sister -- just as Roxy's French artist husband, Charles-Henri (Melvil Poupaud), is leaving to be with another woman.  

Isabel tries to support her sister, especially as Roxy wrestles with divorce laws that favor the French. A painting Roxy brought with her to Paris, which may be worth millions of dollars, becomes a key source of conflict.  

But Isabel ends up having a dalliance of her own with Edgar (Thierry Lhermitte), a French diplomat who's much older, married with twins -- and just happens to be Charles-Henri's uncle.  

Transformations
It's easy to see why she'd be attracted to Edgar; his intellect and sophistication make him eminently sexy. And he has impeccable taste; a red crocodile Hermes purse he sends her at the beginning of their relationship becomes a scarlet symbol that older women recognize throughout the film, including Charles-Henri's wealthy, controlling mother (a perfectly cast Leslie Caron).  

Isabel's affair inspires her transformation from innocent California girl to international fashionista, and it's a joy to watch. Hudson has a fabulous figure and can wear anything, and as in the best Merchant Ivory films -- "A Room With a View," "The Remains of the Day," "Howards End" -- clothes are crucial here, too.  

Her affair, and Charles-Henri's, also cause the sisters to question their American sense of idealism while immersed in French culture. Spending time with Olivia (Glenn Close), a writer and American expat, further opens Isabel's eyes to how sheltered she'd been back in Santa Barbara with her parents (Sam Waterston and Stockard Channing, who play a subtler version of the ugly American).  

The cultural clashes in "Le Divorce" couldn't be more timely, given France's vocal opposition to the American-led war in Iraq. The film's present-day setting (a rarity for Ivory and his frequent writing partner, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala) also gives it a tangible sense of realism.  

That's why is makes absolutely no sense when Matthew Modine shows up as the jealous husband of Charles-Henri's mistress. The way he stalks Roxy and desperately waves a gun at the top of the Eiffel Tower, I half expected Bruce Willis to show up and negotiate with him.  

Modine's character belongs in another movie, but his presence provides a great line. At a bookstore where Roxy is reading her poems, Isabel asks him, "Are you an admirer of American poetry?"  

"No," he replies evenly. "I'm an entertainment lawyer."  

"Le Divorce," a Fox Searchlight release, is rated PG-13 for mature thematic elements and sexual content.  

IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: Review: 'Le Divorce' top-notch comedy
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 1:39pm »

i have read 'le divorce' and am now just about half way through 'le mariage'.  they are your typical summer fluff reading with funny parts.  

as a side note, if i hear someone say pronounce le as la again.... Roll Eyes
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Praying for FN members/family health & happiness

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

Re: Review: 'Le Divorce' top-notch comedy
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 3:15pm »

on Aug 12th, 2003, 1:39pm, eastendgirl wrote:
 .....as a side note, if i hear someone say pronounce le as la again.... Roll Eyes

:laff:

I hope the movie will be really good....drama, comedy, a valuable painting, daliances and suspense on the Eiffel Tower.  Sounds like a goody.  
IP Logged

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.