Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Smith's View Askew Brews a Few »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Smith's View Askew Brews a Few
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smith's View Askew Brews a Few  (Read 726 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Aug 15th, 2003, 9:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fri, Aug 15, 2003, 11:08 AM PT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Now that "Jersey Girl" is safely ensconced in a 2004 release date, writer-director Kevin Smith is turning his attention to new projects for his studio View Askew.  

According to his website ViewAskew.com, Smith will begin directing "Fletch Won," which will continue the exploits of the mystery-solving journalist made popular by two previous films starring Chevy Chase. Smith promises, however, that his version will eschew Chase's slapstick comedy and more closely adhere to the novel by Gregory McDonald on which the character is based.  

The director set off an uproar of outrage after releasing a short list of top actors considered for the lead, including Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon and Adam Sandler. Fanboys on message boards hotly contested the various candidates, supporting longtime star of Smith films Jason Lee who the director had backed previously. Unfortunately, Smith had to abandon his first choice, bowing to the wishes of backers at Miramax who wanted a bigger star.  

Smith will follow "Fletch" with "Ranger Danger," which he describes as "my stab at a comicbook/sci-fi movie." The director has been considering the concept for a few years, but only now feels the maturity necessary to create it. Dimension will produce.  

"Fletch" producing partner Scott Mosier will also executive produce the documentary "Reel Paradise" with Smith for Miramax. The project focuses on independent film distributor John Pierson and his operation of the world's most remote theater in the Fiji bush.  

Referring to Miramax's extension of the first-look alliance with View Askew, Smith says, "Once again, Miramax is the only studio in town dumb enough to fund our bulls***.  

"2004 marks View Askew's 10th year with them, so if you're looking to blame anyone for why we're still allowed to make movies, blame the two men I've come to love like they're my adoptive, same-sex-couple parents, Harvey and Bob Weinstein," says Smith lovingly of the Miramax chief and Dimension head, respectively.  

"Fletch" begins shooting in January. "Ranger Danger" is scheduled to start in fall 2004.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: Smith's View Askew Brews a Few
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2003, 10:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Add me to the list of people who think it's a shame Jason Lee won't be playing the role.  I think he'd be perfect for it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.