Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « The Da Vinci Code »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   The Da Vinci Code
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Da Vinci Code  (Read 6927 times)
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

Re: The Da Vinci Code
« Reply #15 on: May 22nd, 2006, 3:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

saw this film last friday...  well.. I understand why the Church is worrisome on the showing of this film.. as the movie contain a lot of blasphemous theories...  theories that for the mal-educated could perceive as reality....  

for the weak of faith this is a bad film... and I saw this effect to some of my friends who thought that the ideas the film portray is true... I had to tell them that those are mere theories or a product of imagination....

I'm glad that the SM Malls here didn't permit it being shown... at least they're holding up to their principle to uplift the citizens' morality....

anyways.. yeah.. the film has been loyal to the book and they have screenplayed it properly...
IP Logged

Check out my travel blogs at http://www.pautravels.com
MK
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 22nd, 2006, 5:57am »

I'm not watching it. It's a blatant attack on the Christian/Catholic faith. It is based on unreliable, unsubstantiated, completely false evidence and goes completely against the Bible. They could've just filmed the actors standing up and saying, "CHRISTIANITY AND CATHOLICISM IS A HOAX!" What if someone made a similar movie about Islam? What if it was a movie on something else that you knew was false evidence, but the creator touted it as some kind of "truth" that people had been trying to cover up? Whether or not you are Christian, I hope you can understand why I'm upset about this movie. If you want to watch it, I'm not stopping you. I'm just telling you that as a Christian I'm not pleased with this.

But on the bright side the controversy is not all negative because now this provides a perfect opportunity for Christians and Catholics to explain their beliefs to the casual movie-goer.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006, 5:59am by MK » IP Logged

Hi. Smiley
Mango Tango
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 22nd, 2006, 7:03am »

I saw it the day it came out.  I liked it but I liked the book a lot better.  I was kinda disappointed.  I think they should have sticked to the ending in the book.  Audrey Tatou looked the part of Sophie but I didn't like her acting.  It was very suspenseful though and I loved Ian McKellen in it.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: May 22nd, 2006, 8:42am »

Okay, this is what my teacher, who is a Christian told me..

"The world's best selling book is the bible, hence if Dan Brown wants to make some money, his best chance is to write a book to attack the bible!"

I think it's quite true, although i'm not a Christian, but i can't say i'm not offended by some facts that Dan Brown had mutated in his story.

I'm so glad the movie didn't follow that much to the book, in all, it's still acceptable and i can say i enjoy the movie.
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 22nd, 2006, 10:50am »

I saw the movie yesterday and rather enjoyed it. I have read the book and also read Angels and Demons. I think that Dan Brown is a gifted storyteller as I have also read his other two books that have nothing to do with the church. Once again I say this is FICTION. For those that see this as an attack on the church, look at it this way, anything that stimulates intellegent conversation is a good thing.
IP Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: May 22nd, 2006, 11:12am »

It's FICTION people.  The Catholic church will go on, as will the other religions.
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: May 22nd, 2006, 4:42pm »

I'm with the rest of you who say "it's just fiction".  And if you're a Christian, you realize that.  I don't see it as "an attack on the church".   I enjoyed the storyline in the book and will see the movie.
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: May 22nd, 2006, 10:04pm »

I'd say... it's not a direct attack to the Church specially that the book originally targetted the middle class or the more afluent members of the soceity.. whom are more educated...  but for the less faithful, who now lives a modern and worldly life, who may consider religion as a simple organization where people meet and praise a being.... it may cause them go astray....

fiction or not... we still can't stop the Church or its members on being dissapointed that a book or movie says that the God of a group of people is false... just like how Egyptians reacted when Moses says that there is a true God compared to Isis or Ra et al....
IP Logged

Check out my travel blogs at http://www.pautravels.com
Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:34am »

You need to read the book. Nowhere does it say that God is false ... it just raises the question of whether or not Jesus could have been Devine and be a Man.

No where does it question the validity of His works or his role in Christanity.
IP Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: May 23rd, 2006, 11:54am »

*spoiler! Skip if you haven't read the book or seen the movie. Read on if you don't care to read or watch anyway lol*

Actually, not only does it "attack" (put in quotes because I don't really believe it attacks anything) Jesus but it also "attacks" the foundation of the Catholic Church. It suggested that Peter (the first Pope) was not meant to lead Jesus's Church after he died, but Mary Magdalene was. Magdalene should have been the leader of the first Christians, but Peter "stole" it from her. True it does not change the teachings of Christ, but the book suggests that the history of Christianity as we know it is not true. Sort of like saying Christopher Colombus did not discover America. Or George Washington was a puppet of the alien life forms from the planet of Zurga.

Anyway, if we study other religions, we could also think/say that they're beliefs are "attacking" Christianity (In Islam, Jesus is just another prophet I think). But different religions still co-exist. If people can afford to respect other people's belief (or maybe the proper statement is "If people can prevent themselves from being hostile to other religions"), why can't people stop being angry over a lame book?
IP Logged
cricket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:01am »

I've read the book and want to see the movie.  My minister wrote a letter in our newsletter that is sent home denouncing both the book and movie.  I am of the opinion that thats all it is, Fiction!!  I know right from wrong.  The book hasn't made me question my faith.  Every one has their opinion.  And its true, if people   don't make a fuss about it, then people won't be in as much of a hurry to see the movie.   That my opinion anyway!!

I also read Angels and Demons and enjoyed that as well!!
IP Logged
ninjagirl
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 2:43pm »

http://www.napster.com/player/album/12142243

I saw the movie. it's pretty cool. In fact, I enjoyed listening to the soundtrack to that movie. Hans Zimmer has done the music for the movie. I'm still listening to the album on Napsterlinks. You can click on the link above, and enter your email address and login name to hear all the full length songs within the album. it's pretty cool.
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 5:20pm »

Just came out on DVD.  Saw it over the weekend. In fact, spent most all of Sunday on it.  First the movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it and hit rewind many times.  

By far the best part for me was the 2nd DVD.  All the behind the scenes stuff.  Since I studied film making I was enthralled.  Lots of interviews with Ron Howard and Dan Brown.  How the actors were chosen.  I was particularly intrigued with the Silas character. All about how the costumes were chosen.  Segments on the filming locations, how the music was done. How some of the most prominant scenes were filmed.  Also all the hidden codes throughout the movie.  After I watched all of that, I had to watch the movie all over again.   Grin

Quote:
I heard one of the controversies was about Tom's hair

The idea arose for him to grow it longer in keeping with a professor image.  Then on a whim, someone decided to straighten it to see how is looked. And wham.  They went with it.
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 14th, 2009, 12:08pm »

bumping a really old thread.

I recently read the book, so a few days ago I watched the movie. I did like the movie, but it was a little bit long... but there was a lot of action, so I understand why.

I was not offended by it one bit,but I'm not really religious.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
jezzicaz789
ForumsNet Member
Antigua 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Feb 24th, 2010, 4:03am »

on May 22nd, 2006, 12:55am, ExIsle_be_back wrote:
I saw it the other night as well and thought they did a pretty good job of sticking to the book.  The ending may have been a "bit" different, but I think it worked better at explaining a few things. I think it helped that I read the book first.  

I heard one of the controversies was about Tom's hair.  I didn't see where that was such a big deal.  I think it fit the character fairly well.

When we got back to our car, some church group had put a flier under our windshield wiper asking for support in stopping the movie by writing to the production company.  Uhhh....Dudes.  You're a little late.  Besides, the producers are eating all of this free publicity up.  The best thing would be for the churches to ignore it and say what we've been saying all along...It's just a book/movie. Huh

Thank you for the post.  
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2010, 9:31am by Isle_be_back » IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.