Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:44am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « American Idol 5 »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Reality Television Shows
   Other Reality Shows
(Moderators: Heather, Isle_be_back)
   American Idol 5
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: American Idol 5  (Read 814 times)
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

American Idol 5
« on: Nov 24th, 2005, 2:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Abdul Promises Twins and Talent for 'Idol 5'  
By Daniel Fienberg
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
10:30 AM PT

In a shocking move, "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul has confessed that if the early auditions are any indication, this could be the best season yet for the FOX talent show.
"We've gotten incredible people," Abdul gushes. "I think it's going to be the best, because we have some of the best singers."

If Abdul's prognostications hold up, this could be the fifth consecutive "best season ever" for "Idol," which has to be some sort of record. Abdul is at a bit of a loss to explain whether the guys or gals are responsible for this latest talent infusion.

"I think there's a little bit more female presence, then I'll change my mind because the male presence we have is so strong," she admits. "I wish you could check back to me when we get to Hollywood. The male talent we have, I'm really excited about. It's different. It's just all-over-the-map different. Different styles and I'm excited about it."
Abdul's surlier, more British cohort Simon Cowell has already openly discussed several favorites from the earliest audition rounds, including an Irish female who tried out in Las Vegas. Cowell's track record in such matters is pretty solid, given that he pretty much declared Carrie Underwod as last season's winner six months before America came to the same conclusion. Abdul, eagerly chatting with reporters these days to promote her participation in a newly released set of "Best & Worst" "Idol" DVDs, certainly remembers the chanteuse Cowell is celebrating, but she isn't ready to call of the show just yet.

"She's a star," Abdul claims. "She's a star, but what I don't like that Simon does -- and we all agree, I mean, I gave her a standing ovation, she is phenomenal -- but there are other phenomenal ones and it drives me crazy when Simon already announces the winner, who he thinks."

She continues, "It's like, 'Don't do that.' Don't do it for the sake of the competition. Don't do it for the sake of the spirit and psyche of the performers. Don't do it. Let America find it out."  

While she won't anoint a champ just yet, Abdul can confidently promise that viewers will get their fill of twins when the show returns to boost FOX's fortunes this January.

"We have two sets of twins, African-American twins, that are incredible," Abdul swears. "Two that are 27, identical, and two that are 16, identical. The 27-year-olds, like Luther Vandross, the 16-year-olds, Usher to the nth degree. It's going to be awesome to see twins in the Final 12. I don't know if that will happen. We'll see."

"Idol" fans who are still traumatized that tone-deaf brothers Noel and Jesus Roman somehow snuck into the Top 32 of Season Three may be skeptical about this sibling rivalry. One thing fans won't have to experience, the "Opposites Attract" singer promises, is a Paula Abdul Theme Night.

"It wouldn't be fun for me," she claims. "The audience would love it. It would be fun for them. I think it would drive Simon insane. I think he couldn't handle it. I think he'd break out in hives."
IP Logged
Deekeryu
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: American Idol 5
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 5:44pm »

More Idol mayhem ensues....

Hmmm, the track record or American Idols past have not been great.

Carrie Underwood:  where is she?  album?  any single out?
Fantasia Barrino:  again, where is she.  I know she does have an album out and I guess she did have a little success on the charts.  Nothing spectacular
Ruben Studdard: nowhere again.  Even Clay is doing better than him.
Kelly Clarkson.  The Best.  The Original.  I must say her latest singles coming out are suprisingly good.  I've liked all 3 of them, and they have all shot to Number 1.
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 6:31pm »

Battle of Simons Puts ‘American Idol’ In Jeopardy  
by Sting7 -- 11/22/2005  

That sound you're not hearing is the usual American Idol publicity machine, which is usually churning by now. Why not this time? Because the future of Idol is so uncertain! Why is the battle between Simon Fuller and Simon Cowell (r-l) so instrumental to American Idol's future? Why is Fox trying to renegotiate a contract with Simon Cowell, when he just signed one a couple of years ago? What does this mean for American Idol? The answers are here.  

In this corner, creator of American Idol, Simon Fuller! And, in this corner, creator of X-Factor, Simon Cowell! Ding!

The battle of the Simons is throwing a monkey wrench into the American Idol machine, and this battle could be the one to topple the titan.  

At issue is Simon Cowell’s contract, in which though he is signed through 2006, the exclusive rights to sign the winner of American Idol ended with Carrie Underwood. Simon Cowell has made it abundantly clear that he is not "not interested in making a star for another label." To further complicate things, Simon is coming to bargaining table with a lot more leverage than he did a couple of years ago.  

That leverage is in the form of X-Factor. Simon’s creation in the United Kingdom is monstrously successful, and American television is quite ready to feature X-Factor to battle American Idol… if it comes to that. Could it?  

It could. To make matters worse, Simon Fuller has sued Simon Cowell over X-Factor alleging that Cowell used the Idol formula with Cowell’s show. Cowell calls the charges “completely ridiculous,” but Fuller is sticking to his guns. In The X-Factor, competitors are split into three groups: under 25, over 25, and bands. The judges also compete against one another because they each judge the performers in one of the sections.

Fox was really hoping to complete the "delicate and hugely expensive renegotiation" by Monday, November 21, because the case between Fuller and Cowell was scheduled to begin in British courts on Tuesday, November 22 (today). There does not appear to have been an agreement with Fox and Cowell by the hoped deadline.  

All of this could have a dramatic effect on American Idol. It could mean no Simon this season, or ever again. American Idol was making the bold move of switching from its winning Tuesday/Wednesday schedule to a Wednesday/Thursday block. Idol was also upping the ante on advertising, charging the record rate of $600,000 to $700,000 for 30-second advertising spots, toppling the record set by Desperate Housewives. Idol without Cowell can seriously damage the viability of such a rate.  

On Cowell’s end, he doesn’t need American Idol as much as American Idol needs him. And, he has loudly let Fox know it. Cowell claimed victory with Cupid, a dating-themed reality show, and the success of X-Factor overseas has drawn considerable American interest. Cowell says he has been approached about doing an American version of X-Factor by at least three networks, not including Fox. If Cowell does not get what he wants, he could bolt and be back in business before the conference room chair stops spinning.  

Part of Fox’s contract demands would be to have exclusive rights to X-Factor (more money for Simon) which they probably would not exercise unless American Idol permanently shuts down production. Cowell currently makes about $8 million for his duties with American Idol; Fox is reportedly offering a “multimillion-dollar fee” to keep X-Factor off the air in the United States, and would presume Cowell’s right to sign Idols to his record label.

If X-Factor does not air, then Fuller’s suit loses some of its steam and settlement becomes more likely. But if the negotiations between Fox and Cowell are not completed, and it does not appear that they were, Cowell could be giving testimony for months in the British courts, making him unavailable to participate in season five of American Idol.

Representatives for both Fuller and Cowell have said what they most feared was the start of testimony in the copyright infringement case because of what information might come out; for example, opposing opinions on who actually created the Idol concept, even within camps.

Never before has the future of American Idol been so uncertain. We’ll continue to update this story as news happens.

IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 6:39pm »

Deek, her album is out.  I'm not a fan, but I've read about it.  Apparently, her single came out about the same time as Bo's did this summer.  Now I'm just waiting for Bo's to hit because I plan to buy it.

Fantasia Barrino:  again, where is she.  I know she does have an album out and I guess she did have a little success on the charts.  Nothing spectacular  

I agree, not a fan and don't keep up with her but she seems to be in the news from time to time.  

Ruben Studdard: nowhere again.  Even Clay is doing better than him.  

Yes. Ruben is old news.  And I really like him. But his album sucked.  Just sayin'.

Kelly Clarkson.  The Best.  The Original.  I must say her latest singles coming out are suprisingly good.  I've liked all 3 of them, and they have all shot to Number 1.  

Kelly deserves the comeback of the year award.  Her album is kicking butt.  I was a fan in the beginning but I don't like her attitude these days.  She appears to be a diva and thinks her stuff doesn't smell.
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 6:03pm »

Settlement of the Simons Nets Big Gains for ‘American Idol’  
by Sting7 -- 11/30/2005  
RNO

The Battle of the Simons, Fuller and Cowell, is over, and there appear to be few if any casualties. In fact, the settlement has yielded big news and big dollars for American Idol  for years and years to come! What does it all mean? The details are here.  

The battle is over! May there be peace in the valley! Or, at least at Fox.  

And there is peace. The American Idol promotion machine is chugging again. Yes, the battle has ended with whimper.  

"The deals that we've worked out here are as much (about) making new (non-'Idol') shows as it was about securing the future of 'American Idol,"' Simon Cowell is reported to have said by Reuters, "Genuinely, everybody has come out of this with closer relationships than we had before. You don't enter into agreements of this length with people that you're going to be at loggerheads with."

One of those deals that have been worked out is to make Simon Fuller part-owner of X-Factor, the British show that Simon Fuller says is too close to the American Idol product for comfort. Simon Cowell waved away any interpretation of guilt with this change of ownership.  

Fuller also declined to elaborate on deeper meaning, simply stating, “Simon Cowell has been a key component in the incredible success of 'American Idol,' and I am delighted to have reached an agreement that will see this relationship continue and grow over future years."  

But, there is more. Fuller and Cowell have struck a separate agreement to give Fox the exclusive rights to X-Factor. Fox has made no decision whether to air the British version of X-Factor, or even whether to air an American counterpart at this time, but Fox has been anxious in the past to find a spin-off from Idol to capitalize on the show’s monster ratings during non-Idol months.  

American Juniors picked up steam toward the end, but Fox declined to do additional seasons. The band, American Juniors, has since broken up. Better news came from So You Think You Can Dance, scoring formidable numbers in the Idol demographic. So You Think You Can Dance is expected to return in Summer 2006.

Simon Cowell, as a result of the settlement, has been cleared to sign for another five years, potentially. The language of the deal includes an automatic renewal option for two additional seasons so long as Idol hits its preset ratings targets during its run in 2009. And Simon has obligated himself to all of them.  

Fox has also committed to building and hosting a dedicated AmericanIdol.com website, with the network and Idol producers taking two-thirds of any Internet-generated Idol revenue beyond a $5 million base threshold in 2006, $7 million in 2007 and increasing thereafter, according to an SEC filing.        

Fox also has the right to pursue further exposure for the show via wireless media through ringtones, video clips, and related services, with 19 and Fremantle taking 50% of telephony revenue above a base $3 million in 2006, $4.5 million in 2007 and increasing thereafter, according to the SEC filing.

As one can imagine, Simon Cowell stressed the negotiations were long and arduous. But he maintains that he and Fuller had managed to stay friendly through their business dispute.  

Despite all the negotiating, Cowell was not able to confirm the schedule change that has been rumored – moving Idol’s shows to Wednesday and Thursday from its hugely successfully Tuesday and Wednesday night airings. To him, it simply doesn’t matter, "Wherever we sit on the network, we'll be fine… regardless of where we play, our focus now must be on making the greatest shows we can, and the audience will find us."

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2005, 6:05pm by lakelady » IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 7:51am »

Oh, i think i was addicted to American Idol 2,3 but not 4. I remembered clearly how i was saddened by the fact that the best were voted out in AI3 (Jennifer Hudson and Latoya London) then i didn't really watch AI4 much... knew who is who and who can sing well.. but wasn't as addicted as i was for previous seasons.
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Colleen
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Proud to be Canadian!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 6:37pm »

on Nov 24th, 2005, 5:44pm, Deekeryu wrote:

Carrie Underwood is actually doing pretty good.  As I thought she would she is doing more Country then anything, and that is a great choice for her.  Here is a link to her single and her album.  

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=jw7Hnc7d8iD&oi=musicr
IP Logged
Deekeryu
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 5:51pm »

Premieres January 17th, Tuesday. Seven Audition episodes, then to the vote offs.
IP Logged
Colleen
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Proud to be Canadian!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 8:58pm »

Yay!  I cant wait.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 9:49pm »

Seven? Including the vote offs till the final 12?
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.