Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:44pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Skating With the Celebrities »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Reality Television Shows
   Other Reality Shows
(Moderators: Heather, Isle_be_back)
   Skating With the Celebrities
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Skating With the Celebrities  (Read 2082 times)
TAR 4 life

Email

Skating With the Celebrities
« on: Dec 16th, 2005, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

another crappy FOX spinoff.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: Skating With the Celebrities
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

TAR, I plan to give this one a shot.  Been reading good things about it lately.  Also because I know one of the skaters personally.  I first met John Zimmerman around 1993 when he was 19 or so. His parents approached the advertising agency where I worked to gain support and funding for his skating career.  We formed a committee and raised tons of money to send him towards his dream.  And he accomplished it by going on to the Olympics and winning!  I have followed his path for many years and look forward to seeing him on TV again.  

http://www.fox.com/skating/bios/images/pair5_main.jpg
IP Logged
TAR 4 life

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

that's awesome LL!  Cheesy
i've done a little reading about this myself.
i take back what i said before!  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 3:04pm »

Six Celebs Are Skating on Thin Ice!
by Sabrina Rojas Weiss
TV Guide

Incredulous laughter. That's everyone's first reaction upon hearing that, starting tonight at 8 pm/ET, Fox is airing its own take on the embarrassment-of-famous-faces reality-show format by making them try someone else's profession in Skating with Celebrities. Scott Hamilton, the 47-year-old Olympic gold medalist, skating legend and cancer survivor, has no problem with that. Rather, he was fully aware of the potential for pratfalls when he signed on to host the contest, which pairs celebs (everyone from bad boy Todd Bridges to former teen queen Deborah Gibson) with champion skaters (Nancy Kerrigan, Kurt Browning and others) for six themed episodes.  

TVGuide.com: How did you get involved in hosting this show?
Scott Hamilton: I knew that skating was going to end up on reality television. We were presented with a lot of ideas, and I said, "Hey, whoever sells it first, that's where I'm going."

TVGuide.com: You didn't have any qualms about this being a little too silly?
Hamilton: No! I was hoping it would be a silly concept. No Olympic sport can make fun of itself like skating. But this show isn't really silly. It delivers on every level: If you want to see a lot of people falling down and bumping and bruising, there's enough of that. Some people watch NASCAR for the crashes. And if you want to see good skating, it delivers, too. It's really kind of broad.  

TVGuide.com: Explain the structure of the show.
Hamilton: It's an elimination competition. Six celebrities are paired with world Olympic-level figure skaters according to personality and how they can play off each other to create the most entertaining performance possible. Each week has a different theme as far as music and presentation, whether it be "Music of the '70s" or "Music of the Movies." The judges critique and mark the skaters and then decide who wins.

TVGuide.com: Did anyone surprise you with their skill?
Hamilton: They all did. Whatever they brought in, I cared about every single person in this competition. They all came in with their own personality and their own intensity and their own style.

TVGuide.com: But who surprised you the most?
Hamilton: Probably Bruce Jenner [who was paired with Tai Babilonia] — he's the oldest one in the competition, and he's the tallest one, and skating as a tall person isn't easy. Seeing the intensity and passion that he brought to the ice every single time made you go, "Whoa!"

TVGuide.com: But he is an athlete. What could be harder than winning the gold medal for the decathlon [in 1976]?
Hamilton: Figure skating is a whole different world. He came away with a whole newfound respect for skaters and what it takes to put yourself out there on that level.  

TVGuide.com: Who else stands out?
Hamilton: Dave Coulier and Nancy Kerrigan were the couple that laughed the most. Dave's muscles were sore from learning how to figure skate; for Nancy, the muscles that were sore were her facial muscles.

TVGuide.com: Do we get to see you skate at all?
Hamilton: No, I just came out and was the traffic cop. [Hamilton cohosts with Olympic gold medalist Summer Sanders.] I come out and introduce the packages and the couples, then stand with them and interview them. It's all about the couples.

TVGuide.com: Tell me you at least get to use a catchphrase.
Hamilton: No! Well, there is "As we skate onward in our quest for a champion...." We tried to add that to every single line.

TVGuide.com: That does sound very meaningful.
Hamilton: So much of it was tongue in cheek.  

TVGuide.com: What kinds of fancy tricks will we see?
Hamilton: Every episode has its technical requirement, but it's not about who's going to be doing Salchows and toe loops. [It's about mastering] basic skills, which when you see people try to do it, you realize how difficult it is. After all the ribbing I took as a kid being in a "sissy" sport, to see these guys say, "Man, this is hard!" just makes you feel good.

TVGuide.com: How are you feeling these days? [Last year, Hamilton was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor.]
Hamilton: I'm doing fine. It seems like every time I turn around, I've got another challenge in front of me. We're just getting through it. I've been chasing my 2-year-old son around, and we were brave enough to get a puppy on top of that. It's been a little crazy around the house — every morning is a bumpy ride. I've never, ever had this level of unbelievable happiness in my life.  

TVGuide.com: Can you still do a backflip?
Hamilton: I stopped skating a year ago.... I had a really good run, but I really just feel like being a dad right now. I could probably get myself in shape to do a backflip, but we'll probably never know!

TVGuide.com: So you're concentrating on a TV-hosting career instead?
Hamilton: That would be fun! Right now I'm in the process of reinventing myself. Being "37-teen" — my age, as I say — it's time for me to look elsewhere. A 50-year-old in tights... it's not pretty, so we'll see what's next!

IP Logged
Red
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

untamed_red  
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 12:20am »

i watched this one tonight and was pleasantly surprised! They did pretty well overall...but I don't get how they're scoring...just like the old system they used to use...very subjective...

It was great to see kurt and lloyd skating again - i really miss seeing them skate (and lloyd's comment about never getting along with judges is SO true - espcially if you know anything about his history in the sport!)
IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 1:12am »

I watch it for Lloyd lol.. I've met him a few times, his wife is a teacher. They live somewhat near my parents back home. I believe that Isabelle and him are trying to get a new skating arena built in Kingston. I'm not sure but for reason I want to say he is or was in recent years a skating coach in kingston
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:45am »

Skating with Celebrities, Episode 1: A Night of Jitters and Glitter  
by Sting7 -- 01/19/2006  
RNO

The celebrities of Skating with Celebrities have been practicing a month for this very night. If one is expecting cataclysmic collisions and blood on ice, you’re going to be disappointed. Still, some celebrities performed better than others. Dave Coulier (left) is a monster on hockey skates. Is he just a horror on figure skates? Can Nancy Kerrigan (right) tame him?  

I know what you’re thinking. “Why is the Idol guy doing this show when a new season has started?”  

Well, after four years of Idol coverage, I just didn’t have the time to devote to it that I usually do. I’ll be watching as a fan, just like you. Meanwhile, Skating with Celebrities is only six weeks or so, and it’s a subject that I can speak with some authority. Not that I’ve ever skated, but that’s okay. I’ve seen it on television a lot. Hey, most figure skating judges have never done it before it either!  

I started watching figure skating many moons ago, primarily because it was funny to watch people fall. And I’ve seen some doozies! But, before I realized it, I was aware of when U.S. Nationals was taking place (and looking forward to it!). I knew who was good and who wasn’t, my own scoring in my head was usually right there with the actual judges. I knew when a jump was coming in a program. I knew a sauchow from an axel! God help me, I’ve become a figure skating fan!  

Which made me curious to cover this show. How much actual skating will they do? Can we expect a triple loop from Todd Bridges or are they gonna give us spiral sequences to death? I promise not to become Dick Button (the crusty Dick Button that groans about lay-back positions and catch-foots). This should be a good time!  

On with the show.  

We begin with a screaming Scott Hamilton (sounding oddly like Bobcat Goldthwaite) and Summer Sanders (wasn’t she a swimmer?) welcoming us. Summer is towering over Scott. “Can you believe we’re doing this?” is the banter. Summer tells us scores from this week and next week will determine which couple is going home. No America, we do not have a say in this.  

Scott shrilly says lets meet the judges. They are Coach John Nicks, who claims Peggy Fleming and Sasha Cohen as his trophies (actually, Sasha fired him twice because she wasn’t “getting anything” out of working with him, yet she’s back with him again. This week. Peggy never harkens back to her days with Nicks anymore. When she did, they weren’t pleasant memories); Dorothy Hamill, still beautiful, still sporting that ‘do; Mark Lund, the founder of International Figure Skating Magazine and CNN analyst.  

Each week, we are told, the programs increase with difficulty, with an element that MUST be performed. This week, it is the dreaded spin… must have at least three revolutions, but can be performed as a pairs’ spin or an individual one. And, this week’s musical theme is movie music. Maybe that’s why the show started with that homogenized “Eye of the Tiger.”  

First up is Kurt Browning and Deborah Gibson. Kurt is worried that he is a singles skater and doesn’t know a lot of the pairs tricks. He thinks he is the short end of the straw! Deborah giggles through rehearsals like it’s her sixteenth birthday. Kurt says their strategy is to use Deborah’s Broadway skills to mask that they don’t have many big tricks.  

They perform to “How Do You Like Your Eggs in the Morning,” an old Dean Martin gem. Dressed like a ‘50s couple, Kurt’s idea of using theatrics is a clever one. Deborah still looks like a novice, but did manage a single axel and looked like she was going to do a death spiral. Didn’t happen though. Kurt managed to do the hard stuff while presenting Deborah as the male. Smart thinking.

Dorothy congratulated them on being first, and says she was “enchanted.” John thinks they did okay, but he wasn’t fooled by the theatrics. “Too much fluff!” he barks. Mark says he liked the spin (geez, I missed it!), but admonished Kurt for stepping on Deborah during her lunge. It must be tough for the pros having to deal with serious novices like this.  

In the kiss and cry area (where skaters wait for their scores), Deborah says she’s glad she can sit back and enjoy the rest of the performances now, and notes she’s never been scored on anything in her life before (remember school, Deborah?). Summer reminds us there will be a technical score and an artistic impression score on a scale of one to ten.  

First, the technical scores. John: 7.8, Dorothy: 8.0, Mark: 8.0 = 23.8
Now, the artistic impression scores. John: 8.0, Dorothy: 8.2, Mark: 8.0 = 24.2

Their total is 48.0.  

Next, Tai Babilonia and Bruce Jenner. Tai was thrilled to see her partner would be her old buddy from the 1976 Olympics. But, that joy became concern when 55-year old Bruce had so much trouble with his twice surgically repaired knees!  

No need to worry though. Bruce and Tai skated to “Up Where We Belong” from An Officer and a Gentleman, Bruce even wearing what appeared to be a Navy officer’s uniform. Not only did Bruce do his own spin, but he managed two single axels, a lift, and a couple of pairs holds! Nice!!!  

John is up first. He says Tai is still one of the most beautiful skaters in the world. Bruce agrees. Me too. “However,” John sniffs, “your artistry is nonexistent.” The audience rightly boos the curmudgeon. Dorothy commends them that skating to slow song can expose a lot of flaws, and she didn’t see many. Mark says he knows how difficult it is to teach adult skating and commends him on doing two waltz jumps in a row. (I called them axels! Consider me corrected!)  

In the kiss and cry area, Bruce babbled something about not being in the club for the last month. Now for the scores.

Technical scores. John: 8.0, Dorothy: 8.1, Mark: 8.2 = 24.3
Artistic impression scores. John: 8.1, Dorothy: 8.3, Mark: 8.1 = 24.5

Their total is 48.8!

Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler realized that are opposite handed. The problem with that is skaters who are left-handed spin to the left, and vice versa. Lloyd and Kristy seemed flummoxed by this. Lloyd says it’s like a quarterback trying to switch hands before the big game. “What have I gotten myself into?” Kristy sighs.  

Problem solved, apparently. Lloyd and Kristy skate to “The Air That I Breathe” and manage some nice pairs’ spirals, and couple of higher than novice level lifts! Their individual spins did go in opposite directions, but it worked and Kristy’s spin is the best of the night so far, looking downright professional! This is not her first time on skates, clearly.  

John said the lifts were good and Kristy was great in the air, but he was expecting something more exciting from Lloyd (BIG tricks was his reputation way back when). Dorothy agrees, Lloyd is so strong, but she wanted to see more of a connection. Mark thought it was a great first program, but a bit weak. Jeez. I thought they were great!  

Summer asks for Kristy’s thoughts. Kristy says she screwed up the spiral and that never happened before. Summer tells her not to be too critical (cuz the judges will do that for you!). On with the scores.  

Technical scores. John: 7.9, Dorothy: 7.9, Mark: 8.0 = 23.8
Artistic impression scores, John: 7.9, Dorothy: 7.9, Mark: 7.9 = 23.7

Their total is 47.5.

Summer asks for Lloyd’s opinion on their scores. “Everybody knows what I thought of judges my whole career, but we’ll be back!” Good thing we’re all friends here!  

Todd Bridges, paired with Jenny Meno, thought all that roller boogie experience would give him a leg up. Sadly, he realized he could barely keep a leg up on skates. He’s full of protective equipment and takes some nasty tumbles. Meanwhile, Jenny is one of those girls who just can’t find a beat with a magnifying glass. Todd and Jenny have quite an uphill battle before them!  

Skating to Will Smith’s “Wild Wild West,” Todd and Jenny pulled of the most energetic skate of the night so far. Todd had some definite balance issues throughout, but they did manage a spin (Todd’s traveled horribly) and what might have been a throw (or Jenny just jumped really big. Maybe some pro-wrestling style illusion afoot!). They also did some nice pair elements. I’d call it a victory.

Mark says Jenny can almost dance now, and Todd had marked improvement. Dorothy says she was thoroughly entertained, she thought it was fantastic. John offers Dorothy his glasses before he starts. John says it was exciting because he thought any second Todd would break his neck And, Jenny was off the beat most of the time. His final suggestion is, “dump this program and go to Plan B quickly!” Todd says his Plan B is to train with John!  

Technical scores. John: 7.7, Dorothy: 7.8, Mark: 7.8 = 23.3
Artistic impression scores. John: 8.0, Dorothy: 8.3, Mark: 8.1 = 24.4

Their total is 47.7.

Now, the most photogenic couple: Jillian Barberie and John Zimmerman. We quickly see Jillian is not a cutesy diva. She’s flinging herself in the air trying to do jumps! John is worried she’s going to kill herself. Finally, he and the choreographer convince her that a clean program is better than a difficult one. Still, Jillian seems to want to go for the big money! Will she be able to settle down?

Skating to an old Fox favorite named Kelly Clarkson’s “The Trouble with Love,” Jillian’s ambition appears to have paid off huge! She’s skating like a pro out there. She and John clearly did the most difficult pair elements of the night so far. Very nice lifts, and easily knocking off Kristy for the best spin of the night! That was some doggone good skating out there!  

Mark says it was a first-class performance; he wants to know when they will enter Nationals. Heh! Dorothy stammers that they are hot! Dorothy says if Jillian ever needs another career, she could skate. Jillian is moved by the compliment, she says Dorothy was her idol when she would skate as a child. Down to the haircut. John says he couldn’t find much wrong with it. Wow!

Technical scores. John: 8.4, Dorothy: 8.4, Mark: 9.0 = 25.8
Artistic impression scores, John: 8.7, Dorothy: 8.3, Mark: 9.0 = 26.0

Their total is 51.8!!!

John and Jillian are in the lead by a mile!  

Nancy Kerrigan is paired with Dave Coulier, self-described hockey nut. Dave shows up in hockey skates. After being fitted with figure skates, he decides to grind down his toe picks! Nancy and choreographer are gravely concerned.  

Dave and Nancy skate to “Soul Man” in full Blues Brothers garb. Lots of pairs elements, and maybe a throw, but the program was a wee bit too cute for my taste.  

Mark said it was entertaining, but Dave should work on stroking. Dorothy says it was fun, and noticed Dave’s hockey technique. Nick thought Dave complimented Nancy well, but asked him to consider whether he wants a hockey stick in his hand or Nancy? That brought some color to Dave cheeks!  

Technical scores. John: 8.2, Dorothy: 8.3, Mark: 7.9 = 24.4
Artistic impression scores. John: 8.5, Dorothy: 8.3, Mark: 8.1 = 24.9

Their total is 49.3!

So after night one, the standings are as follows:

Jillian Barberie and John Zimmerman – 51.8  
Dave Coulier and Nancy Kerrigan – 49.3  
Bruce Jenner and Tai Babilonia – 48.8  
Deborah Gibson and Kurt Browning – 48.0  
Todd Bridges and Jenny Meno – 47.7  
Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler – 47.5  
Scott says the scores are so close, anything can happen! The scores from next week’s show will be combined with tonight’s to see who is eliminated.  

Not a bad start. I’m genuinely impressed with the celebrities so far! I, who can’t skate a foot, am actually rooting for all of them, but some celebrities (Jillian Barberie, Dave Coulier) are definitely more experienced on ice than others (Todd Bridges, Deborah Gibson). Who will be the first to fall?  

Let’s find out next week!  

IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:06am »

Skating with Celebrities, Episode 3: One and Done!  
by Sting7 -- 01/31/2006  
RNO

Previously, the celebrities had two weeks of scores to determine who would be eliminated. That is over now! Just one week, one performance, leads to elimination. Will Jillian Barberie and John Zimmerman continue to dominate? Will Kurt Browning’s lack of experience in pairs hurt his teammate Deborah Gibson (r-l)? And whose blood will flow on the ice?  

Last week, we said goodbye to Todd Bridges, who improved by leaps and bounds, but not enough to stave off elimination. And it looked like someone stepped forward to fight Jillian Barberie! Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler actually outscored the superduo in last week’s performance!  

But voiceover man says all those scores are wiped away! And the celebrities must add a lunge to their programs this week.  

Jillian and John practically move in to the practice rink. The choreographer says they have a bunch of tricks and no program. Did they spend too long on the flashy stuff?

As they take to the ice for their performance, Jillian’s skating skills are just amazing – she looks like a professional. High-level pair holds, excellent lunge, they are even doing pair spins! They are amazing! Did John slip at the end?

Mark liked the footwork and the spin, but he didn’t feel the program was always put-together. John thinks they may have been foolishly ambitious. Dorothy liked the artistry and technical, and acknowledges they are clearly the strongest team here.  

Technical scores. John 8.3 , Dorothy 8.4 , Mark 8.4 = 25.1
Artistic impression scores, John 8.2 , Dorothy 8.2 , Mark 8.3 = 24.7
Their total is 49.8

Summer tells them that if one pair has a lower score, Jilli and John will be safe. So it all comes down to tonight!  

Bruce and Tai ironically have Tai’s partner of 38 years (Huh), Randy Gardner, as their choreographer. Randy says he has to watch Bruce to make sure he doesn’t get too ambitious. They may try a death spiral together tonight!  

Bruce and Tai skate to “Endless Love” and they connect so well to the music. The step sequence is a bit week, if there is a lunge, I miss it, but their pacing is amazing. And yes, Bruce does a (two-handed) death spiral with Tai!  

Dorothy says she admires Bruce so much! She commends him on his skating skills, but next time she wants a smile from him. Mark says they have achieved “two skating as one,” which is the goal in pairs skating. John doesn’t know what his colleagues are seeing. He says Bruce is awkward, and has a style (just not a good one), but commends his determination.  

Technical scores. John 8.2 , Dorothy 8.2 , Mark 8.5 = 24.9
Artistic impression scores, John 8.5 , Dorothy 8.3 , Mark 8.4 = 25.2
Their total is 50.1!

They are SAFE! Jillian and John have to spend another number on the hot seat!

Dave and Nancy have decided that they need to work hard, but they need to laugh more. Nancy says working with Dave is insane. Randy Gardner, who is also their choreographer, thinks they need to tighten up.  

Dave and Nancy are skating in drag, thus Dave is showing the “feminine side” that John said he needed last week. Dave’s hair is as big as Rhode Island! But once the shock value wears off, they aren’t doing much more than gliding. The judges are going to eat them alive!  

John thinks Dave is showing signs of becoming a figure skater. Dorothy notes Dave is a “big-boned girl!” Dorothy also thinks Dave’s skills have improved. Mark says if Dave needs work after the show, Provincetown awaits!  

Technical scores. John 8.0 , Dorothy 8.2, Mark 8.2 = 24.4
Artistic impression scores, John 8.4 , Dorothy 8.4 , Mark 8.5 = 25.3
Their total is 49.7.

Jillian and John are SAFE! Now, Dave and Nancy now have to spend some time in the hot seat.  

Buoyed by their big scores, Lloyd wants to turn things up another notch. It seems like it might be more than Kristy can stand. Kristy gets her first war wound in practice.  

Kristy and Lloyd do some high level holds, but Kristy falls on one. And then again, a face rub into the ice during one of Lloyd’s high drama holds! Holy smokes!  

John says Kristy took a lot of risks, but challenges why Lloyd made so many lifts. In fact, he even pulls out a stopwatch to prove he had her in the air too much. Mark commends Kristy for recovering from the fall and says they are really in synch. Dorothy asks if Kristy is okay, and liked that Kristy sort of let it go, and was sorry for the fall. Meanwhile, we see blood starting to seep out of a cut on Kristy’s chin where she hit the ice.

Technical scores. John 7.9, Dorothy 8.2, Mark 8.3 = 24.4
Artistic impression scores, John 8.2, Dorothy 8.1, Mark 8.4 = 24.7
Their total is 49.1.

And now, Kristy and Lloyd are in the hot seat!  

Deborah and Kurt narrowly missed elimination last week and feel compelled to add more difficulty. Deborah is really struggling with the lunge, can she do it in competition?

Deborah and Kurt start with a big trick of a hold, and a couple more to boot! Nice step sequence, and Deborah does the lunge! Easily their best performance of the competition! This could be close!  

John says Deborah is much improved. But he’s not sure the pair skating thing is for Kurt, because he still looks like a solo skater. Mark says the program didn’t excite him much. Dorothy says they have improved, this is her favorite program of theirs, and the lunge was great!  

Technical scores. John 7.9, Dorothy 8.1, Mark 7.9 = 23.9
Artistic impression scores, John 7.9, Dorothy 8.1, Mark 8.0 = 24.0
Their total is 47.9.

(Wait a second. Kristy fell in and scraped her chin during her program, but she still gets higher marks than Deborah, who made no discernable errors? That's figure skating!)

Summer goes to talk to Lloyd and Kristy, Kristy gives a terse, “I don’t have anything to say.” Summer says it must be a relief to know they are not going home. Lloyd and Kristy give her puzzled glares. “We’re not?” Lloyd says quietly. No, Summer burbles. She explains to them that they have 49.1 points. Lloyd though they had 47.1. Oooooooh! Scott calls it the “skate brain freeze!”

Now that we have all that cleared up, we say goodbye to Deborah and Kurt. Deborah is philosophical and gracious in defeat. Kurt expresses great pride in Deborah, thanks her for coming all the way to Toronto so he could stay close to his family, and repeats that she is a friend for life. Awww!

Now there are only four, and Jillian is not looking like the sure thing we though she was last. Next week, two celebs go to the hospital!
IP Logged
Red
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

untamed_red  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 10:56am »

sad to see kurt go...but knew that him never being a pairs skater could hurt them.
IP Logged
Jeff
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Get down tonight ;)

jjh295   hane295
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 1:23pm »

For lack of anything better to watch, I tuned into this last night. I was actually bored by it. It seems to lack a certain charm. I just couldn't get into it.

However, seeing Uncle Joey and Nancy Carrigan both in drag was hilarious, though.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:39am »

Sure was, Uncle Joey needs to stick with 'being a guy'!  hehehehe..............
It's Ok, but certainly not our favorite.  Dorothy Hamil is still so beautiful!
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
Ashley
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:24pm »

I like this show Smiley  Figure skating is one of my fav. sports : Smiley
IP Logged

THE AMAZING RACE STARTS TONIGHT! Romber FTW
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:59am »

Episode 4: The Next Time I Fall…  
by Sting7 -- 02/07/2006  

The skating continues, and the injuries just keep on coming! Who is facing sore ribs in addition to a pulled groin? Who has such a history of injuries that they will do almost anything to avoid falling on the ice? Who actually does fall on the ice and gets sixteen stitches? Ouch! And, on top of all that, someone else is going home. Certainly not Nancy Kerrigan and Dave Coulier, right?  

It’s down to the final four this week! Last week, Tai Babilonia and Bruce Jenner shocked everyone, themselves included, with the highest score of the week!  

Summer and Scott found lots of things shocking about last week that I didn’t so we’ll skip the frothy intro they give us and get on with the show. This week’s music theme, Top 40 hits (of whenever, I guess) and this week’s trick – a jump! That is, of course, with all of the other tricks they’ve learned over the weeks.

Lloyd Eisler and the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Kristy Swanson, spend a lot of practice time trying to figure out how to slay the judges. Kristy spends most of her time looking grim, as she and Lloyd toil under the choreography of equally grim-looking Rene Rocca (she was so beautiful when she skated with Gorsha Sur; what happened?).

Kristy and Lloyd skate to Tal Bachmann’s “She’s So High” and the first part of the program goes well. Nice waltz jump sequence, Kristy’s stroking is noticeably stronger than when she started. Then come the complicated handholds and lifts and there are just too many stops and starts.  

Dorothy loves it and notes that Kristy is getting so much better, and they have “hotness.” John says they were pretty good. He liked the combined spin and the death spiral. He adds that Lloyd’s known for his aggression and appreciates the way he’s helped Kristy. Kristy and Lloyd seem to be waiting for his famous “however,” but it never comes. Mark says it was wonderful, and also notes Kristy’s growing confidence. He adds the waltz jump and combination was very difficult and Kristy did it well.  

Technical scores. John 9.3, Dorothy 9.3 , Mark 9.1 = 27.7
Artistic impression scores, John 9.5, Dorothy 9.4, Mark 9.3 = 28.2
Their total is 55.9

That is the highest score so far in the competition! And I didn’t like it. Guess that’s why I’m here and they are there!

When we first saw Jillian Barberie, she was flinging herself into the air like a woman possessed, trying to do an axel. Now she is a series of bruises, injuries, and complaints. The latest one being her ribs, which results in a trip to hospital. Good news – x-rays negative. Bad news – back to the ice! Can Jillian survive her injuries and make it to the end of the competition.  

Skating to Pink’s “Trouble,” Jillian and John are searching for flirtatious and hot. They mostly find it. However, it does seem like Jillian is affected by those ribs… she’s just not… her. They accomplish every trick, every lift, every hold, in fact, it looks like Jillian and John do single jumps, not just waltzes. Still, the fire seems to be missing from them tonight.  

Mark says they look hot together and notes that they worked on their collective timing as he suggested. Dorothy says it was fantastic, their skating is incredible, and she’s seen pros who aren’t as good as them. John says the other judges seem carried away. He says it was good, there was a lot of confidence, but he thought the throw jumps were “unnecessary repetition.” He adds ominously that though they are the favorites to win, they are “going to have to get something very special to win this thing.” Ouch.  

Technical scores. John 8.9 , Dorothy 9.5 , Mark 9.2 = 27.6
Artistic impression scores, John 9.4 , Dorothy 9.5 , Mark 9.4 = 28.3
Their total is 55.9

It’s a tie! Now, Kristy and Lloyd and Jillian and John are ALL on the hotseat! They don’t tell us how that tie would be broken (probably because there is no way those scores are going to be beat tonight).  

Dave Coulier and Nancy Kerrigan realized they had to step up the difficulty in their program, but Dave was dreading the jump. Even the waltz. Why? We learn he has had a laundry list of injuries, including five concussions, several broken bones, and a fractured skull! (I’ve heard that “comedy is pain” but jeez!) Will he manage his nerves and do the required elements in his program?

Skating to Outkast’s “Hey Ya,” Nancy and Dave do a program full of glides and pair holds. With this song, which is begging for dance elements, they shake their butts for awhile, but that’s mostly it. And, uh, I don’t see a jump. Scott asks the audience if Dave’s jump was great. I must have missed it. [Editor’s Note: It was early in the program, very small, and easy to miss.]

John says it was like the ridiculous instead of the sublime. They will have to do better next time – if there is a next time. Mark says Dave’s skating is improving, but it must be more program, more choreography, more expression. Dorothy appreciates the gamble last week, this week they look like they are having fun, but they had two tough pairs to follow tonight. (Nice ‘Paula’ there, Dorothy!)  

Technical scores. John 8.5, Dorothy 9.1 , Mark 8.8 = 26.4
Artistic impression scores, John 8.4 , Dorothy 9.1 , Mark 8.8 = 26.3
Their total is 52.7

And they are in the hotseat, despite achieving their highest score of the competition. (Of course, the judges’ scoring on this show makes no sense at all.)

Bruce Jenner, who is 55 (we know – you tell us every week!), and Tai Babilonia (is it crazy that I am still in love with her?) were thrilled to have the highest score last week. They were looking to channel that momentum into the next program when Bruce managed to whack his head on the ice real good. 16 stitches worth of good! Poor guy.

Skating to Carrie Underwood’s “Inside Your Heaven” (oh, Fox, you crafty self-promotional thing, you!) Bruce and Tai always manage to look stately and elegant. Bruce’s waltz jumps are spot-on as usual (even if he looks like one of those old black and white clips of Dick Button back in 1919 or so), and Tai is a brilliant complement. However, I notice two major glitches – Bruce has a major balance check after his spin, and while doing a pair hold Bruce manages to run Tai onto the stage! She has to take five steps on the dais before getting back on the ice again! Oops! The judges will still probably put them in the nines.  

Mark jokes for that he thought he imagined Tai was off the ice. Dorothy says she liked the jumps, but maybe she just remembers the ‘70s, and they managed to look like they weren’t concentrating. John says they look like they try so hard, and he enjoys that. However, Bruce is so stiff. Bruce defends that he has bad knees, but John is unmoved.

Technical scores. John 9.0 , Dorothy 9.2 , Mark 9.0 = 27.2
Artistic impression scores, John 9.0 , Dorothy 9.3 , Mark 9.2 = 27.5
Their total is 54.7

That means Bruce and Tai move on, but Dave and Nancy are history. Dave thanks all the other skaters for their camaraderie and thanks Nancy for being such a joy to be paired with. Nancy blathers on that this will be good for the sport, etc. Dave Coulier is many things, classy guy is one of them. Maybe now he will embrace the toe-pick.  

Next week, the judges will choose the music for the teams to skate to! By the end of that show, we will be down to our final two!

IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 11:37pm »

Something y'all might find intersting

Eisler quits Olympic post  

By Frank Armstrong  
Local News - Wednesday, February 08, 2006 @ 07:00  

Kingston figure-skating star Lloyd Eisler has resigned from the Canadian Olympic Committee just days before he was to head to the Winter Games in Turin, Italy.

Eisler was to leave Sunday to fulfil his volunteer duties as an athlete liaison, but backed out early last week.

Reached yesterday, Eisler said he had to walk away because of contractual obligations related to his role in a U.S. reality television show.

“I stepped down from my position in Turin because of my obligations with Skating With Celebrities,” he said in a telephone interview.

Eisler said he volunteered to act as an athlete liaison at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games before he accepted the job on the television program.

Due to the show’s popularity, he said he is having to spend a lot more time than he expected on promotional tours and speaking to the news media.  

“That forced me to step down, because I’m still under contract,” he said.

The show, which airs every Monday at 8 p.m. on Fox, sees six celebrities partnered with six figure-skating professionals to compete for a title.

Eisler is partnered with Kristy Swanson, who played the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the 1992 movie of the same name.

David Bedford, communications boss for the Canadian Olympic Committee, said it’s not uncommon for a few volunteers to resign during each Olympics.

Most are unpaid and are asked to commit a year before the games, so changing circumstances can easily prevent people from being able to attend.

“When we have 200-plus volunteers, it happens fairly often that someone will have business or a family situation or something and will have to step aside,” Bedford said.

If Eisler were still going to the Olympics, he would have stayed for the duration of the games. In his role as athlete liaison, he would have been one of a number of former Olympians residing in one of three Olympic villages.

There, he would have helped Canada’s athletes focus on their performance and prepare for their competitions. Duties include running an athletes’ lounge and providing experienced Olympic Games guidance.

Eisler will be replaced by Andre Benoit, a two-time Olympian in the luge.

This is the second sporting organization that Eisler has recently quit.

Officials with the West Kingston Skating Club confirmed last month that Eisler resigned from directing an elite skating group within the organization, which he founded in 2004, called the Skaters High Achievement Readiness Program.

At the time, Eisler would not say why he had left. “Right now, we’re not talking about that,” he said.

Heather Frappier, president of the West Kingston Skating Club, said in January that Eisler was still coaching. She said he had left the director’s position because of his Olympic commitment. “We’re a nonprofit club and we’re not going to pay directors if they are not there he knew that,” she said.

With Eisler’s resignation, Kingston is left with five athletes going to the 2006 winter Olympics. They are: women’s hockey players Jayna Hefford and Gillian Apps; former Kingston junior hockey players Jan Bulis and Tony Iob; and Kingston-born figure skater Tanith Belbin, who now lives in the U.S.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 10:11pm »

Go Jillian!  She is awesome and also the Weathergirl for Fox on Football Sunday!
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.