Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:43pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Wacky Wanda's Episode 3 Review! »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Exclusive! - Survivors Speak to ForumsNet
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Wacky Wanda's Episode 3 Review!
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wacky Wanda's Episode 3 Review!  (Read 830 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Wacky Wanda's Episode 3 Review!
« on: Feb 21st, 2006, 6:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's what Wanda sent us this week...

"I <3 LaMina!"   I learned that latest computer code for love from reading seventh-graders' essays this past week.  Although it's a lot easier to type the four letters under my fingertips than to find the two symbols on the outside corners of the keyboard, it was cute enough to pass on for the theme of this week's Exile Island!

LaMina embodies the Survivor: Utopia version of the show that I always envisaged playing.  Let's just catch a few quotes from them from this episode:

Austin, not ratting on Sally to Jeff and Casaya about the lost spear:  "We're not having any luck with it."
           Terry after catching all five balls to win the reward challenge for La Mina:  "It was a total team effort."                      
           Dan at TC:  "The companionship is excellent!"    (I just LOVE that!  That's where my heart is!)
           Sally at TC:  "It's everything I thought it would be.  I really care about these people."
           Terry when it rained:  "Let's think about Bruce" (calling for the kind of "Silent Meditation" that shows both concern and respect for someone who doesn't deserve the way the cookie has crumbled for him)
           Nick (? - not totally sure I caught who said it) voting out Misty:  "I'm very sorry."

This is the kind of tribal unity I've always idealized.  There's a bond, a fellowship, a oneness that is so rare and beautiful.  "I love it when a tribe comes together!"  That kind of Mutual Admiration Society is what I had hoped to be part of in Survivor.  There's my idyllic picture of intelligent adults from diverse places and backgrounds, coming together to make new friends, work together, and respect the assests each has brought to the group.   Many tribes have multiple levels of fragmentation; others are simply split down the middle into major alliance and outsiders.  LaMina tribemates all appreciate each other's strengths and wonderful personalities, and no one wants to have to play the game the hardest part of the game; no one wants to "get rid of" anyone.  Terry leads as a provider (he caught their fish), as an athlete (winning challenges for them), and as a uniter, even commenting with respectful awareness on Misty that "she's an engineer, smart as hell" before making that difficult decision that they would have to part with her.

If I could pick any tribe in the whole history of Survivor that I'd want to be part of, it'd be LaMina.  

If I had had to send someone home this week, it would have been RuthMarie.  I'm still disgruntled that she didn't stand up for saving Tina, the woman with the most Survivor skills,  in the season's first TC.  I can understand why Terry and Dan, strategically, knew that Misty was a threat to their ultimate plans while RuthMarie was not, but again, my "Bond of the Best" criteria controls my preference regarding who leaves.  Misty was bringing more positive energy to the tribe than RuthMarie has brought.

As for Casaya -- Applause here for Bruce, who, as Bobby told us, has taken the lead and brought an upbeat attitude to the Tribe of Confusion and Disharmony.  The oldest man on the cast, Bruce has brought two great things to the lucky castaways who would have left him behind in the pick-em game:  a background of knowledge and skill, and an enthusiasm for living the Survivor's life!  I remember reading in Tom Brown's Field Guide to Survival that the most important thing to bring to a real survival situation is a positive attitude, an excitement for finding ways to deal with the new challenges life has brought.  Bruce glows with this!  Shane, on the other hand, disdains it and slinks off in a combination of jealousy and self-pity in his unwillingness to see the good in anyone else or in the experience of a marvelous adventure.  Literally thousands of Americans applied for the chance to be where he was, and Shane, who got there, wastes the opportunity while wallowing in The Slough of Despond, to use John Bunyan's metaphor.

So three weeks into the show, my summary of the boot order rhymes:
      BAD --  the ouster of Tina, who made fire, unclipped underwater hooks to keep her tribe in a challenge, provided fish, and sang
      GLAD -- Melinda got the second eviction; after taking out someone so much more deserving, she deserved to go herself
      SAD --  we lost Misty of LaMina, and both her tribe and the rest of us respected her and are sorry LaMina went to TC.

And a final observation:  A first in Survivor history....  This is the only time that, of the first three people to leave the game, all have been of the same sex.   Remaining players:  eight men, five women.  Gotta hand it to the guys here.  They're strong.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2006, 6:29am by MediaScribe » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.