Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:36pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Andrew and Syeon »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Amazing Race
   Amazing Race - Asia
(Moderators: JP, Joab, Isle_be_back)
   Andrew and Syeon
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Andrew and Syeon  (Read 8908 times)
Joab
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

Andrew and Syeon
« on: Oct 17th, 2006, 2:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Andrew and Syeon from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, already have a strategy.  

"Every team needs a leader," says Syeon, "And if there are two leaders, then you just wind up arguing."  

The solution is that there is only one leader. Andrew is the leader, and in any situation during the race, he will make the final decision (after a short debate, if necessary).  

This sort of foresight should make for a very interesting game, particularly since it lays the blame squarely in Andrew's lap if he makes bad decisions.  

But this is an interesting couple all around, another example of cross-cultural dynamics at play. While Andrew is a true-blue "Malaysian Sensation" (as he describes himself), his girlfriend Syeon is of a Korean-Australian background.  

They two have known each other for three years, having met while snowboarding in Jindabyne, Australia. Friends at first, their correspondence turned into a long distance relationship while she was in London and he was in KL, and they've been together for about eighteen months now. They describe their relationship as interesting, fun and … childish. They think it's important that they have many common values and principles, partly because it lends strength to their relationship, but also because they feel that it will help them to be in sync during the Race.

Both Andrew and Syeon are active in sports, a passion that they both share, so an average day might include a trip to the driving range, or to some other sporting activity. Their different upbringings contribute to some degree of friction, but each is learning from the other.  

"I'm a very independent, friendly, outgoing person with a Western mentality," says Syeon, a fact that contributed to a certain degree of culture shock when she came to Malaysia to live with Andrew. In return, Andrew points out that he's not as direct or confrontational as Syeon, and their different mindsets certainly make for interesting lives. However, the two do communicate very well, and it through this communication (combined with a degree of honesty) that they have overcome their problems so far. It remains to be seen whether the bond that they have will survive the experience of The Amazing Race Asia.  

Besides sharing values and common principles, both are very result-oriented individuals who achieve many of their goals by prioritising and making intelligent decisions. Their greatest strength they bring to the game is their belief in one another, and support for one another, but they are a little concerned about the physical challenges. Andrew's objective assessment is that intellectually and physically they're both "quite okay", but he is aware that some of the physical challenges on The Amazing Race Asia may be more physical than they can comfortably handle, and that Syeon will be slower and not quite as strong.  

One of their other strategies for the game was to put their emotions aside, and play the game as a game - and play it to win. No difficulty there, since these two are well-used to sport, having an interest in all sorts of sports between them. They're naturally competitive, as well, something that they hope to harness for the Race. Asked to describe themselves, Andrew said "we're a level-headed, result-orientated, determined team".  

Syeon shouted "Pocket rockets!"

The idea of taking part in The Amazing Race Asia was born from a couple of impulses. One of the big ones was that it would prove to be an opportunity to test their relationship.  

"Under the pressure of the race, a relationship can either go in a positive or negative way," says Andrew, carefully hedging his bets. "We don't know which direction our relationship will go in, since we've never been in this situation before, but we're hoping it will go in a positive direction."  

The need to push the envelope was another factor.  

"Being in The Amazing Race Asia will let us move out of the comfort zone," says Syeon.  

In addition, both team-mates agree that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  

"You can't buy it. The chance to race around the world, with a loved one, facing a unique sort of pressure, is an experience that no one else can give you," says Andrew.  

These two certainly seem determined to take advantage of every opportunity they get. Their strategy is to aim for the top three in every leg because "you have to stay in it to win it", try to be focused and determined, and leave personal, emotional things aside. They're not willing to play dirty to win, or be underhanded, and are hoping that their travel experience will stand them in good stead. They've travelled all over the world, and as Andrew puts it "we don't go for comfortable holidays".  

At the end of the day, this very competitive, very sporty couple is hoping to get to the last leg … hoping to do relatively well. Given the emotional and mental resources they've devoted to getting prepared for the competition, it seems like they might actually have a chance.  

Ask them what the toughest part of the competition is, and they will tell you that it is the emotional and mental stress. "You can recover from a broken leg," says Syeon, and then leaves the rest unspoken.

http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/teams/andrew-syeon/bio/1/
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2006, 2:41am by Joab » IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Joab
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Andrew and Syeon
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 9:48am »

I dislike them. Anyone like them? Huh
IP Logged

http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 3:04pm »

Eh.. they're ok. That kind of sucked that they had to go back and complete the task.

It was like in TAR5 when Kami and Karli and Chip and Kim had to go back.
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 9:22am »

I like them! They look like a smart team. And I like Syeon (which I always read as Syeona). Hopefully they make it far. I generally dislike dating couples in the race because they bicker, but these two seem to get along well.
IP Logged
banzai
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 10:32pm »

lol, she's a good dancer. They should choose the dancing task  Tongue
IP Logged
MK
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 6:02am »

LOL, can you imagine if they continued to mangle directions throughout the race?

Syeon: I'm tired of doing this Roadblock, let's switch...

OR

Andrew: Wait, did the clue say TWO donkeys?  Huh
IP Logged

Hi. Smiley
kittykay
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Luv TARA

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 11:53pm »

I like all teams. Especially those that Popo dislike.  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Coz life is a challenge.  
 Wink
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 12:56am »

on Nov 20th, 2006, 11:53pm, kittykay wrote:
I like all teams. Especially those that Popo dislike.  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Coz life is a challenge.  
 Wink

Have fun with your little challenge. Kiss
IP Logged

banzai
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 10:45am »

If Andrew choose the digging Roadblock, I don't think he'll quit. It's one of those time if they don't think hard, they can lose.  Smiley
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 2nd, 2006, 1:24am »

I see the dating couple "third place" edit out of them.. but they are strong, they are competitive.

And hey, they are quite likable too! Grin
IP Logged

Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

331122624 331122624   racedude122003   racedude122003
View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Dec 2nd, 2006, 9:56pm »

i didn't even know who they were before this episode....
IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 3:24pm »

Hiding behind a van after finding a clue reminds me of Charla and Mirna's antics!

Go Andrew and Syeon!
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:49pm »

I like them, their competitiveness and their ability to strategize when they are on the race. Grin
IP Logged

CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:53pm »

THey are my bet to win this game! Woo! Go Andrew and Syeon! Seems like their Brandon and Nicole-ish minus the whining.
IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 2:35pm »

How embarrassing for Syeon!!! I can't believe she can smile through the stomach ache! Poor girl, had to "go" in the middle of nowhere, for $100,000. :laff:
IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.