Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:52pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Southernese »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Southernese
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Southernese  (Read 5535 times)
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

Re: Southernese
« Reply #30 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 2:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone know what this saying means;

"that was before I got out of my hobbles"
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 2:35pm »

Yep, we Southerners listen slow.  Grin
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 3:40pm »

This is interesting.  I remember losing my southern accent while I was studying broadcasting in college.  I went for many many years without one.  

Class seeks to rid kids of Appalachian accents  
Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 9:20 AM EST (1420 GMT)  

PIKEVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A new class that seeks to teach youngsters how to lose their Appalachian accents has set off an age-old phonetic debate: Should mountain natives drop the drawl or hold tightly to their twang?

The class, put on by an eastern Kentucky theater group, is designed for children in middle and high schools who want to reduce their accent to "broaden their performance opportunities and improve overall marketability."

"We don't want people to be held back just because they have an accent," said Martin Childers, managing director of Jenny Wiley Theatre in Prestonsburg. "If you want to work professionally, you have to be able to drop the accent when it's required. We want to give people the opportunity to learn to do that."

People from central Appalachia have been wrestling with the accent for as long as they have been driving to northern cities to land jobs. Some quickly adopted the speech patterns of Cincinnati or Detroit co-workers to avoid being ridiculed. Others held onto the accent like a cherished keepsake from home.

The Appalachian accent is the sort of southern drawl heard in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter," about singer Loretta Lynn, a native of Van Lear, Kentucky. It shows up at times in the fitting of words together into what sounds like one word: "Did you eat?" becomes "jeat?" and "young ones" becomes "young'uns."

An Appalachian accent can be an asset if a casting director wants an authentic mountain sound, but Childers said a strong accent can prevent actors from being able to fill some roles, especially those involving characters from the Northeast or Midwest.

"We're proud of our accent, but there are times we have to lose it in order to get the parts we want," he said. "We're not slamming the accent, but if we need to drop it, we need to be able to do that."

Dee Davis, head of the Center for Rural Strategies, which fights rural stereotypes, said he has no problem with the class as long as teachers keep one thing in mind.

"It's important that they make sure the kids understand that their language is beautiful, that their culture is powerful, and that it's not something they should be embarrassed about," he said.

Davis, a Hazard native who went to the University of Kentucky and the University of Pittsburgh, said some of his classmates had trouble understanding his mountain dialect. When he told them his field of study, "riding," they'd look at him quizzically and say they didn't know it was offered. He'd then spell it: W-R-I-T-I-N-G.

"There's nothing wrong with being able to speak in different accents, but you should above all things hold on to the language you dream in," he said.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 3:58pm »

As for dialects, Loretta still sounds the same as when she first married DO!

One critic call her a Hillbilly, as in making fun of her.    
Her reply was, "I may be a hillbilly, but I'm a rich hillbilly"!
IP Logged

lakelady
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 3:59pm »

Quote:
Her reply was, "I may be a hillbilly, but I'm a rich hillbilly"!

Well sed.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 4:01pm »

Ah thauoght sew mah sif. Wink
IP Logged

LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 6:46pm »

The trick (if you're in the entertainment field) is to learn to speak with multiple accents.  Wink  And even the "non accent" taught to students is still an accent if you go to ... say... England, or Austrailia. We still sound American.  Grin
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 6:56pm »

........oh but of course!

Ever ask someone how they are and the answer is, "Far to middlin'"?  Lips Sealed
IP Logged

bec
ForumsNet Member

I'm a pathetically happy person!

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 8:32pm »

Luci does "before I got out of my hobbles" mean anything like " before I was free"?

How about some aussie sayings like

" Flat out like a lizard drinking"

" Is a frogs bum water tight"

" let's hit the frog and toad"

" can you give me the dog and Bone"

" need to get back to the trouble and strife"

does anyone have any idea what these mean  Grin Huh
IP Logged
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 10:07am »

Don't have a clue, Bec.  I heard (probably from you) that Aussies do a rhyming thing sometimes, using words that sound like the "real" words.......but I can't figure it out.  The last one could be ? and wife.     dunno!   Clue us in.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #40 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 2:38pm »

Yes Bec, that is what it means!  Or when you leave home, etc.

How about when a person asks you, "ows yer mom n 'em?"

P.S. BEC, will you list the meanings for all of those one by one?  
I'm  Undecided trying to figure some of them out!

LB is right, we taulk slow and sometimes thaunk slow Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2005, 2:42pm by luci » IP Logged

bec
ForumsNet Member

I'm a pathetically happy person!

View Profile

« Reply #41 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 8:39pm »

Flat out like a lizard drinking means ...." you're really busy"

is a frogs bum water tight refers to something being obvious......like when i was pregnant and if someone said " are you pregnant"  my reply could have been ...."is a frogs bum water tight?"

Let's hit the frog and toad......." let's hit the road"

give me the dog and bone........can i have the phone.

and gotta get back to the trouble and strife........gotta get home to the wife.

yes pocket you were right....we do alot of rhyming slang.....it's actually called "butcher talk"
IP Logged
Genius
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Asian engineering!

View Profile

« Reply #42 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 9:01pm »

We Asians only have fake Northerners (American) accents. It seems terribly difficult to fake a Southerner's one. I admit that I belong to this cateogary.
IP Logged

TAR14: Tammy and Victor
S18: Brendan, Taj, Spencer
Pocket
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #43 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 11:21am »

I was thinking about my SIL last night.  There is a lady on the Food Network (whose name escapes me) who sounds just like my SIL.    My SIL would pronounce southern as suhthen.   Gosh, I miss that lady.
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 12:17pm »

MORE SOUTHERNESE Wink

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a  conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH"  them.

_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish,  collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a  mess."

_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out  to you the general direction of  "yonder."

_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how  long "directly" is -- as in: "Going to town, be back  directly."

_____

Even Southern babies know that  "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet  substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of  the    table.

_____

All Southerners know exactly  when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

_____

Only a Southerner knows  instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor  who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl  of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin!

_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the  difference between "right near" and "a right far piece."  They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

_____

Only a Southerner, both knows and  understands, the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy,  and po' white trash.

_____

No true Southerner  would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is  actually going to make a turn.

_____

A Southerner  knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an  adverb.

_____

Only Southerners make friends while  standing in lines. we don't do "queues," we do "lines"; and when  we're "in line," we talk to everybody!

_____

Put  100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're  related, even if only by marriage.

_____

Southerners  never refer to one person as  "ya'll."

_____

Southerners know grits come from corn  and how to eat them.

_____

Every Southerner knows  tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly  wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that  fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast  food.

_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I  caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of  a genuine Southerner!

_____

Only true Southerners  say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened.  "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

_____

And a true Southerner knows you  don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH  on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own  way.

_____

To those of you who're still a little  embarrassed by your Southerness Take two tent revivals and a  dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!

_____

And to those of you who are still  having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, bless  your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes  on   Southerness as a second language!

_____

And  for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a  long time, ya'll need a sign to hang on ya'lls front  porch that reads "I aint from the South but I got here as fast  as I could."
IP Logged

Pages: all 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.