Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2024, 3:39pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Adidas Stan Smith Femme »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Adidas Stan Smith Femme
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Adidas Stan Smith Femme  (Read 79 times)
sooo
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Adidas Stan Smith Femme
« on: Jul 17th, 2018, 10:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In 1998, Nike introduced the Tuned 1, also known as the TN. Nike's creative director Sean McDowell came up with the shoe after seeing palm trees silhouetted by a sunset on holiday. In Australia, this sunset gradient was interpreted as a two-tone spray paint fade, over which a series of angry-looking veins gave the TN its characteristic "ribbed" look. To me and my friends, living in Melbourne's outer suburbs, TNs instantly became the product of our environment.

Whenever my dad took me to his shoe stall in the Dandenong markets, there were always a few rattled-looking customers Nike Air Zoom Spiridon Femme asking if Adidas Superstar Damen we stocked Nike Epic React Flyknit Donna TNs. It was the early 2000s, and these grimy customers might have sported weathered faces and ankle monitors, but they also rocked the freshest kits a train station hang-around could dream of. Snap button Adidas trackies, Sergio Tacchini spray jackets, bum bags, and Nike TNs—straight out of the box.

The shoe's hefty $240 price tag and aggressive look instantly placed it on a golden pedestal. I remember chasing the latest colours harder than all of my teenage crushes combined. The first pair I ever bought were black with green swooshes. They were half-price at Footlocker and a size too small, but I told my dad they were a perfect fit. It was worth all the pain. The venomous green veins that wrapped around the shoe in hard plastic echoed the sentiment of a poisoned carcass. The shoes were an emblem of thuggish Nike Air Max Thea Womens anarchy, a Adidas ZX Flux Womens subtle air-raid to your peers that you were "doing well" off the street. When you wore TNs you became part of an underground movement governed by the remnants of DMX, the Slim Shady EP, and graffiti culture.

Before TNs, I don't remember anyone's shoes receiving compliments. The whole sneaker geek movement was incredibly niche, so it was either you stood out with your TNs or you didn't. It was also the only time young larrikins did anything that got them more props from guys than girls. In fact most girls seemed to hate TNs, and thought wearing them was a totally self-indulgent endeavour.

Today, TNs are selling in the suburbs just as hard, but their statement has shifted to something more ironic. These days they're worn by guys re-appropriating 90s sports chic with their dad's Kappa jacket and a Nautica cap. And Adidas Stan Smith Femme yet, Nike Air Max 2016 Mujer adoration for Nike Air Max Thea Damen the shoes is just as devout as it ever was.

To get inside this love for the Nike TN, I asked people to send me photos of their prized collections. We spoke about the shifting TN culture, and what it felt like to rock their first pair.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.