Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:17pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Zap2it's recap »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Zap2it's recap
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zap2it's recap  (Read 503 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Zap2it's recap
« on: May 20th, 2002, 9:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Vecepia Towery Wins 'Survivor: Marquesas'
Sun, May 19, 2002 11:09 PM PDT  

by Andrew Rodgers
Zap2it.com, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Vecepia "Vee" Towery, a 36-year-old office manager from Portland, Ore., was crowned the winner of CBS' "Survivor: Marquesas" on Sunday (May 19) night.

Receiving four of the seven votes from the jury of ousted Survivors to beat out 21-year-old Neleh Dennis, a student from Utah, Towery became the second woman and the first African-American to win the show and take home $1 million.

The season finale of "Survivor: Marquesas" opened on the 37th day of the contest, with the four remaining contestants clearly weary of the game and ready to go home.

"I've had about enough of these people," says Vecepia, alluding to the fact that she would have to struggle to overcome the strong alliance of Neleh and Paschal English. "I am the only one who has to work for the next two or three days."  

"I never looked real good," jokes Paschal, "but I probably look worse than I ever have before."  

Because there are only three days left, the game jumps straight to the next immunity challenge, where each of the Survivors must call upon their knowledge of the other contestants to answer questions in the hopes of winning the immunity necklace and moving onto the next round.

Vecepia narrowly beats Neleh for immunity by correctly guessing that John Carroll served as a nurse in the Air Force branch of the armed services.

Before the vote, host Jeff Probst prompts the contestants to talk about where they stand and asks if anybody wants to make a deal with Vecepia to ensure that they stay in the game. Kathy seizes the opportunity and strikes a deal with Vecepia, and the two women vote against Neleh. But the game's first tie emerges because Paschal and Neleh voted for Kathy.

In previous "Survivor" contests, in case of a tie, the person with the most previous votes is the person who gets the boot. But this time around the rules are different and Jeff announces that the group will either have to come to a unanimous decision about who to vote off, or else the three Survivors not protected by immunity will have to select a colored rock from a bag. The person who draws the purple rock will be asked to leave.  

After a little dithering, Paschal draws the unlucky stone and is forced to leave.

The three female Survivors march back to camp, where they are awoken a few hours later at 3:30 in the morning by Jeff, who instructs them to begin construction on an outrigger canoe to begin the day's activities.

Vecepia, Kathy and Neleh end up spending the last day hiking through the hills, paying homage to their fallen contestants, painting themselves with tattoos, filling their hair with flowers and bathing in a sweet smelling yellow purification goo.

When the trio arrives at the last immunity challenge, even Jeff has to admit there's a drastic change in the group.

"You even smell good," he says. "That's a first."  

For the last challenge, the three women have to stand on uneven logs and keep a hand on a totem pole. After about four and a half hours, Kathy loses her balance. Vecepia then quickly strikes up a deal with Neleh to partner up with her to vote Kathy off. Neleh accepts, and after Vecepia steps off to concede, is granted immunity.

At tribal council, it's announced that Paschal has collapsed due to dehydration shortly before he was to appear in the jury. John explains that he's okay, but had to be evacuated.

The vote goes as expected, with Neleh and Vecepia booting Kathy off to advance to the final two.

For their last day, Neleh sleeps in as late as possible and then starts burning all the old clothes that people have left behind.

When the two appear at tribal council again that evening to be judged, Paschal is back in the lineup, apparently none the worse for wear.

Each woman presents their case on why they should be the one selected to go home with the money. At one point Vecepia says she knew she would be the winner because she had a vision about it four months previously.

Like previous "Survivor" contests, each of the members of the jury is given a chance to ask a question or speak their mind before casting their vote for the ultimate winner. What quickly becomes evident is that the foursome of John, Robert "The General" Decanio, Tammy Leitner and Zoe Zanidakis, who had formed a strong alliance while they were still in the game, are very bitter about losing and want to rip into the remaining women.

"I don't think either one of you deserves a million dollars," says Tammy, who cites Neleh and Vecepia's "holier-than-though attitudes" as the reason she abandoned her own strategy.

"I said all along that I was going to lie and cheat," she says. "[But] you beat me at my own game."  

Tammy suggests that the two were just as bad and vicious, but did so "under the guise of Christianity."  

Sean is next to speak, and starts off by praising Neleh and Vecepia, saying, "both of you deserve this."  

He goes on to ask them questions about what sort of moral message they might have gleaned from the game.

"I will think things through before I make my decisions," says Vecepia, who concedes that she was quick to jump to a decision without considering all the consequences.

Neleh's alliance partner Paschal stands up next and says that he hasn't prepared anything to say because he was too worried about being able to make it to the tribal council.

"[But] I would have loved to have either one of you as my daughters," he says.

Robert asks the women if they had any regrets and demands a simple answer with no explanations.

Zoe follows Robert and chooses to speak her mind, although not as brutally as Tammy.

"I feel like I should be in that seat," she says. "You made it to the spot that all of us wanted to be in."  

John, who was quoted as saying that he wasn't happy about the two options he had to vote for, said earlier in the show that he thought Neleh and Vecepia were a pair of "Bible thumpers" and "kooks." He stands up and announces to the two women that he thinks they were "not innocent" and says they "both lie."  

Jeff then asks the jury to make their selection of who they think should be the winner.

It's shown that John and Sean vote for Vecepia. ("Better you than me," says Sean, who asked that if Vecepia wins that she "hook a brother up. Help me pay my rent." )

Paschal and Zoe each vote for Neleh. ("I'm going to make this short but sweet," says Zoe. "'V' is not for victory tonight." )

After the votes are cast, a helicopter appears and shuttles Jeff and the canister of ballots off the island.

Fast forward five months, and Jeff appears back in the helicopter along New York City's skyline for the live finale from Central Park. After landing at the helipad, he hails a cab and rides to Central Park, where he hops out and runs up on stage.

Moments later, it is announced that Vecepia has won.  

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?25993
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: Zap2it's recap
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2002, 8:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

'Survivor: Marquesas' Finale Raises More Questions Than It Answers
Mon, May 20, 2002 12:05 PM PDT  

by Andrew Rodgers
Zap2it.com, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - With the season finale of "Survivor: Marquesas" now behind us, the big story isn't really who won or lost, but all the little nagging details of the finale and reunion that have been swept under the carpet. Well, it's time to do some dusting.

First off, does anybody know who that was sitting next to "Survivor: Marquesas" champion Vecepia Towery onstage in New York City's Central Park? Because it certainly wasn't 21-year-old runner-up Neleh Dennis. Obviously, the help of a hair stylist and little makeup goes a long way, but come on, Neleh looked downright vixen-like.

What about third place Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien? She looked like a different person at the live broadcast too -- Marg Helgenberger, from "CSI," to be exact.

Thankfully, Rosie O'Donnell, who hosted the live reunion of "Survivor: Marquesas," didn't skip a beat with 24-year-old "Survivor" contestant Sarah Jones (aka -- the "eye candy" girl -- who walked around in a skimpy bikini the entire show).

"I'm glad to see you brought your boobs with you," said O'Donnell.

"I was glad Sarah brought her boobs too," added construction worker "Boston" Robert Mariano, who later admitted that his co-workers have been making fun of him because he was beaten by a bunch of girls.

Speaking of cheeseball, how corny was it for CBS to show "Survivor" host Jeff Probst hailing a cab after arriving with the vat of votes via helicopter in New York City en route to the live show. As if that weren't enough, when he got to Central Park and hopped out of the cab, CBS showed him asking the driver for a receipt.

You've got to feel sorry for the CBS cameramen, though. When Towery was announced as the winner, she immediately fell to the floor and began (praying? crying? convulsing?). The end result -- CBS didn't get a good reaction shot of their newest $1 million winner. Doh!

It's also interesting to note that during the finale episode and reunion, CBS ran promotional spots for "CSI: Miami," "Hack," "Presidio Med," "RHD/LA," "Without a Trace," and "Still Standing" -- in short, every single new show the network picked up for the fall schedule except for the half-hour, Alfred Molina-helmed comedy "Bram and Alice."  

Although one network insider suggests that there probably just wasn't enough time for another promo, the omission begs the question: does CBS think "Bram and Alice" is so strong of a show that it doesn't need primetime promotion? Or does it perhaps mean that the show is already considered DOA?

Here's another question: Since "Survivor: Marquesas" contestants Towery, Sean Rector and Dennis are all hard-core Christians and were all shown praying for victory at one point or another throughout the show, does it mean that God loves Towery the most because she won? Or does it mean perhaps that because Rector had already won a car and Dennis is still young and hot, that it was time to share the love?

And finally, what about this business of Towery seeing "visions" and writing affirmative statements on "tablets" ? If nothing else, it'll sure cement her place as a guest-star on "Touched By An Angel."  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.