Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:52am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Kel Attacked »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Kel Attacked
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kel Attacked  (Read 591 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Kel Attacked
« on: Sep 26th, 2002, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(SurvivorFever.net 9.25.02)  
Last Friday, September 20th, Kel Gleason was attacked in a Toronto nightclub. He was approached by 4 men, they asked Kel if he was Asian and inquired if he had been on "Survivor", then they threw something in his eyes to blind him, then started stabbing his head. When Kel attemped to crawl over the bar, he was grabbed and stabbed in the back. Kel was released from the hospital Sunday. We wish a full recovery to Kel.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: Kel Attacked
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2002, 10:38am »

:censored:  I did not hear about this.  What terrible news.  Kel please know we wish you a full recovery.  Did they catch these guys?
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29th, 2002, 8:44am »

Some additional info about the attack found at Sucks:

This incident happen late Friday night at club called Red Square on the corner of Richmond and Duncan in downtown Toronto, Ontario CANADA. It was Asian Focus night, a celebration of Asian prosperity. Kel and two white females attended the event, obviously to show their support. Kel went to the bar and 4 men approached him (3 Asians, 1 white) encircled him. They threw a liquid in his eyes, which blinded him. Once Kel was blinded they proceeded to stab him in the back of the head with broken bottles and drinking glasses. Large amounts of blood was pouring all over the floor and bar. Kel somehow flung his body on top of the bar to escape, maybe to put the bar between him and the attackers. The four men grab his legs and started stabbing his back, while his body laid on the bar. Kel managed to pull himself on the otherside of the bar. The police, paramedics and ambulance showed up and Kel was taken to the emergency room at Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto Ontario.  

-------------------------------------
Also, Diane from S3 posted there saying that she spoke to Kel and he sounded good and was recovering well.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2002, 9:27am »

rhune, thanks for these details.  I only heard this story yesterday on the radio.  I was thinking, isn't this odd that I never heard this happened in Toronto a weekago?

I am trying to figure out why the story has had such little play (other than Iraq is on the front of the newspaper every day)

This Bar - I think Iknow the one - is only about 4 blocks from my office.  Pretty scary.  I work in the business district of Toronto but on the other side of University Avenue is a "clubbing" district.  It's also close to where a bunch of us addicts went out dancing together at The Joker last summer.  

The radio station had no further details than you have reported above.  

I hope Kel is healing - they did say he was in serious condition.
IP Logged
Mzz_Joplin
ForumsNet Member

Thaid no more ...

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2002, 3:58pm »

I wish poor Kel the best ... what a senseless, completely unprovoked act of violence ...  
I guess I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how or why something like that would happen ...    

:worried: Sad :worried:
IP Logged

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose ...
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2002, 11:25pm »

And I'm wondering where the other people in the bar were while this was happening! Why didn't someone help him? I'm also wondering if the cowards who did it are safely behind bars for attempted murder.  :whip:
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2002, 3:30pm »

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=articl e2331.art&page=1

Survivor 2's Kel Discusses Bar Attack for the First Time  
by David Bloomberg -- 10/03/2002  

You may have heard rumors about Survivor 2 contestant Kel Gleason being attacked a couple weeks ago in a bar. Well, they were not rumors - he has just done his best to keep it under wraps. For the first time since the attack, Kel speaks out and tells RealityNewsOnline what happened and how he's doing.  

You may have heard rumors about Survivor 2 contestant Kel Gleason being attacked a couple weeks ago in a bar. A few posts were made about it on Survivor-related message boards, but there were no big news articles. Indeed, some people even started saying the whole thing was a hoax - if it had really happened, it would have been in all the newspapers.

But it wasn't a hoax. Kel was attacked and stabbed repeatedly in a crowded bar while bystanders did nothing to help. He wanted to keep the incident under wraps while he began recuperation, but yesterday he gave RealityNewsOnline his first interview since the attack. He said that he was willing to talk to us because we have talked before and he knows that readers of this website are interested in reality TV, while the generic entertainment show on TV would just be using it to fill time.

Before we got into discussing what happened in the bar, we talked about what he has been doing. As you may recall from our previous interview, Kel had been working for Global TV as their Survivor reporter.

RealityNewsOnline: Were you planning to do commentary for Global again this season?

Kel Gleason: No. Global TV was a great gig. It runs like the U.S. Army - and I mean that in a positive sense. They have so many resources, it makes your life easy. If you need a cameraman or a producer or whatever, you've got one. I've worked for some TV stations without those resources, and it was much more difficult. I loved that, it was really nice to work for a company like that and I'm very thankful to have worked for such a robust company. But I wanted to pursue other things. That's why I left the military - to see what else is out there.

RNO: So what had you been up to?

Kel: I've been doing commercials, taking more acting lessons, taking film auditioning courses with a Canadian flavor, because it is different than American classes. I also have a small part as a villain on the series Mutant X. I've been concentrating on that angle (acting).

RNO: So, where did the attack take place?

Kel: Two female friends had called me and asked to go to a club called the Red Square in Toronto. They said it was Asian Focus Night - a celebration of Asian prosperity in Toronto. I went with them.

RNO: What happened?

Kel: The bar is designed in a peculiar way - a horseshoe pattern. The two major bars are at the ends of the horseshoe, with the dance floor in the middle. I have two friends that work at the bars and I left the two friends I'd come in with for a few minutes to go talk to one of my friends who works at the bar.

As I was talking to her, a man came up to me and asked if I was "that Indian on Survivor." I thought it was kind of a strange way to refer to me - I've been asked many times if I was "the guy from Survivor," but never like this. Still, I answered that, yeah, I was the guy on Survivor.

He walked away and I kept talking to my friend. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that he had gone to some other people to verify that I was, indeed, the guy from Survivor. Then he found three people he knew and came back, making a circle around me. I began to wonder why they were surrounding me like this when one of them splashed a drink right into my eyes. It was a strong drink and it temporarily blinded me. Then they suddenly started hitting me in the sides and back of my head, striking me with broken beer bottles, stabbing me repeatedly.

I knew if I stayed where I was, I was going to die, so I flung myself on the bar, trying to get to behind it. They grabbed my legs and kept striking at me, though they couldn't get to my head now. They hit me in the shoulder blades, and gave me a number of cuts plus one stab into my back two inches from my spine.

I kept trying to pull away from them as they continued to grab at me. I finally got to the other side of the bar, bleeding heavily and with my clothes ripped apart. I had lost so much blood that I couldn't get up.

Somebody had apparently called the police, and the police and paramedics finally showed up. Nobody had stepped in to stop the attack - not waiters, not bouncers. The bouncers said they weren't around when it happened. My friend at the bar couldn't do anything - she was just screaming because there was so much blood. The bar was in chaos, with people running and screaming, but nobody came to help.

It makes you think about how different people react when you see somebody being attacked - some jump in to help, some run away, and some are in complete fear and don't move at all.

RNO: Did they catch the four guys who attacked you?

Kel: No. All four escaped.

RNO: Has anybody at the bar given a good description of them?

Kel: As far as I know, there is no good description. I have no clue what the police are doing. I'm not saying they haven't done anything, but I just don't know what they've been doing.

RNO: How did you manage to keep this out of the news?

Kel: I asked the people at the hospital to keep it quiet. I didn't want it in the media. And that's one thing about Canadians - if you ask them to do something and they say they will do it, they will.

This was not something I wanted to glorify, not something I wanted to talk about right after it happened.

RNO: How are you doing now?

Kel: I'm doing very well now. I'm still in a lot of pain, but that's to be expected after an attack like this. I've had stitches and "glue" [like superglue used in place of stitches] in different parts of my head and back. I was stabbed seven times in the head and once in the back. The head wounds are all over my scalp - under my hairline. They didn't hit my eyes or my face or any vital organs. If I could use the word "lucky," which I think is kind of stretching it, it's that they didn't hit any vital parts.

The doctors did a CAT scan and there were no skull fractures. I had ear problems the day after, but that may have been due to so much dried blood clogging my ear canals. I'm still not sure about that, though. I seem okay otherwise, and I'll be going to the doctor again later this week.

RNO: What have you been doing since the attack?

Kel: The whole incident put a stop to what I was doing. I've been in bed a lot, getting my energy back up and getting myself back in gear. Today [Wednesday] was one of the first days for me to do a little exercise. I'm at about 60% now, but I'm amazed at how quickly I'm recuperating back to my normal routine. On Monday night I went to my acting class for the first time since the attack.

This is not an experience I'm used to - being stabbed. (Laughs) I laugh to keep from thinking about it. It upset me almost as much as when I was in Bosnia [with the Army], seeing the aftermath of violence on people - to be on the receiving end is even more disturbing.

RNO: Is there anything else you'd like to tell readers?

Kel: The amount of support I've gotten from CBS and Survivor Entertainment Group and other people I've worked with - e-mails and well wishes - has been very nice. I shouldn't be surprised. It sounds corny, but it is like a second family. I did the show two years ago and I'm still in their thoughts. That means a lot to me.

RNO: I have to ask - did you hear from Jerri?

Kel: Of course not! (Laughing) You've got to be kidding. I don't think I'll ever hear from her. But it's good that you could make me laugh.

RNO: We wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. We'll check in with you again soon. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us!

David Bloomberg is the Editor of RealityNewsOnline, and can be reached at [email protected].

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.