Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:19am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Episode 8 Recaps »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Episode 8 Recaps
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Episode 8 Recaps  (Read 737 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Episode 8 Recaps
« on: Nov 8th, 2002, 12:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

'Survivor' Suffers from No-Merge Hangover
Thu, Nov 7, 2002 11:19 PM PDT  
by Rick Porter
Zap2it, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - After last week's huge no-merge swerve on "Survivor: Thailand," there was probably little that the show could to follow it Thursday (Nov. 7), and that was indeed the case.

But the folks behind the game could have at least tried.

Instead of the usual scheming and scamming that gives "Survivor" its juice as a TV show, viewers were treated to what felt like a particularly mealy-mouthed episode of "Big Brother," only on a beach. In the end, Sook Jai sends Erin Collins out, reducing the tribe to only three people.

The episode opens with the four remaining Sook Jais returning from the tribal council in which they booted Shii Ann. The five Chuay Gahns feign interest, then feign surprise when Sook Jai says they knew about Shii Ann's attempted alliance with the other tribe.  

Several folks correctly note that everyone is trying to ingratiate him- or herself with their new neighbors -- particularly Penny, who attempts to use her cuteness to make pals with the Chuay Gahn men. To their credit, Ted, Clay and Brian react to Penny's flirting with little more than a roll of the eyes.

There are a couple of hints that Brian and Jake, and separately, Ken and Clay, are kinda-sorta exploring forming alliances if they should need them later in the game. But there's little evidence that anything has been set. Also, Helen yammers incessantly about food, providing some of the hour's few amusing moments.

The immunity challenge, an underwater stress test involving bamboo snorkels, comes about halfway through the hour, priming us for another possible plot twist later on. Alas, it will not come, as Brian outlasts Jake to win the idol for Chuay Gahn yet again.

Alas, the only twist is that there is no twist, which means we have to watch 20-odd minutes of the Sook Jais agonizing about who they're going to have to kick off. The slightest of consolations is that whoever is sent packing will be the first member of the jury that determines the winner.

After much hugging and crying -- and the killing of Lucky the chicken for dinner, after which Jan buries its head and feet next to the dead bat she cried over a few weeks ago (and just what is up with all that?) -- Sook Jai heads to tribal council, where Erin is voted off 3-1.

The no-merge idea was great last week. But part of what's made past "Survivors" fun is the everyone-for-himself nature of the latter immunity challenge. It seems sorely missing now.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

Re: Episode 8 Recaps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 12:39am »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/07/earlyshow/series/survivor/main 528537.shtml

Adieu, Erin
NEW YORK, Nov. 7, 2002

(CBS) It was a weepy episode this time around on "Survivor: Thailand". The Sook Jai went for their fourth time in a row to Tribal Council, giving Erin Collins, the 26-year-old real estate agent from Texas, the boot.  

Already weakened in numbers, Sook Jai had 4 members compared to Chuay Gahn's 5. The Sook Jai were also visitors on the other tribe's beach as the two tribes continued to live together.  

Along with the merriment of new company, there was obvious tension bubbling just below the surface with Jake scowling about Helen's endless "yaking" about recipes while Clay and Ted saw right through Penny's "butter" -- their term for fake sweetness.  

In the meantime, Ken, the straight-arrow police officer from NYC was disgusted by the less-than-hygienic habits of the male Chuay Gahn members, as the cave was pervaded with the stale smell of urine.  

When the challenge came along, Helen from Chuay Gahn was chosen to sit out in a rather poor move by the tribe, considering that the challenge was under water and Helen is a Naval swim instructor. However, the tribe didn't need the extra help, as they won with ease.  

Each tribe member was under water with a bamboo tube as a snorkel, and the greater combined time of each tribe would garner immunity. Penny and Jan came up for air immediately, and the others quickly followed, leaving Jake on the Sook Jai side and Brian on the Chuay Gahn battling for their teams. In the end the aging Jake was no match for Brian, sending the Sook Jai back to Tribal Council.  

As the Sook Jai awaited their fate, they decided to eat their precious chicken they had brought to the camp before another of their team was voted off. Meanwhile, Jake had taken personal responsibility for losing immunity and the Sook Jai spent many emotional moments together discussing whether they should decide ahead of time who would be voted off.  

After many tears were shed, the team headed to tribal council, red-eyed and sniffling. A dramatic vote was held, and it seemed the only one not in consensus for who to vote off was Erin. The others were in suspicious agreement. Her torch was extinguished and she left with the words, "I came to the island with a small bag and myself and I'm leaving with more than i ever could have expected."  

But, she maintains, "I'm very happy the way that I've played the game, my number one goal was to make to it the jury and I made it."  

Erin will be interviewed Friday morning on The Early Show.  

© MMII, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 10:08am »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,388599~3~0~episodewhereno thinghappened,00.html

TA TA, ERIN! And, yes, her implants had to leave ''Thailand'' too

Okay, the point of these ''Survivor'' wrap-ups is for us to all talk about the events of the most recent installment. That presents a little problem for this column considering that, as far as I can tell, NOTHING happened in this week's episode. Man, talk about boring. I thought Mark Burnett's slick move of having the tribes live together without merging would generate some well-needed tension, but wow, was I wrong.

Outside of some discussion over questionable urinating habits, these two groups seem to be getting along just peachy. Which is great if you're presenting a program about peace, love, and harmony. But people who want to see that watch PAX, not ''Survivor.'' I mean, you know things are slow when the most memorable moment involves a monkey stealing noodles. (They could've at least shown us Jake breaking the chicken's neck on camera. And don't you PETA types get after me. The chicken's dead either way, whether you show it or not, so just show the damn thing.)  

I actually thought the immunity challenge of blowing air through a bamboo snorkel underwater could've been interesting… had most of the contestants not surfaced after less than 20 seconds. What was that all about? Who can't hold their breath for 20 seconds? And they didn't even have to hold their breath either. I'm sure this challenge was harder than it looked, but still, that performance was pretty weak, and, like I said, one should be able to hold out for air for more than a PITIFUL nine seconds, like Penny. (Go ahead, try it.... See, wasn't that easy?)

Another thing I don't understand about that challenge: Why did Helen choose to sit out? ISN'T SHE A FREAKIN' NAVY SWIM INSTRUCTORHuh That reminded me back of the good ol' days of ''Survivor'' I, when river guide Kelly Wigglesworth lost a canoe race to a guy AFRAID OF WATER! Ah, the memories.  

Unfortunately, I don't think Thailand is providing the same indelible images. Now Erin's gone, and other than two prominent assets, I'm not really sure what she brought to the show anyway. Seemed like a nice enough gal, as much as nice enough gals get obscene breast enhancement surgery. What I'm saying is, she didn't seem offensively dumb or annoying like boobalicious Sara from ''Marquesas,'' but at the same time she didn't really make much of a (nonphysical) impression either. Much like this whole season.  

Where do you think Thailand ranks among the five ''Survivor'' seasons?
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 10:11am »

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/overnight/stories/110802dnovesur vivor.64521.html

'Survivor' ousts UT student  
11/08/2002  

By ED BARK / The Dallas Morning News  

She's cooked. University of Texas at Austin nutrition major Erin Collins stomached a 3-1 eviction vote Thursday night, reducing the state's Survivor: Thailand contingent to four of the eight remaining competitors.  

The hit "reality" series also will be without much cheesecake. Erin, a 26-year-old transplanted from Kansas, proudly displayed both the prettiest face and the skimpiest outfits. No wonder the camera lingered on a final gratuitous shot of her itsy-bitsy bikini bottom.  

"I'm very happy the way that I played the game," Erin said. "My No. 1 goal was to make it to the jury, and I made it."  

Erin Collins  
Erin's once-dominant Sook Jai tribe now has only three weepy members left, while the once woebegone Chuay Gahns are a plucky quintet. Sook Jai has lost four straight immunity competitions while ladling on the melodrama. Tribal elder Jake Billingsley of McKinney got cornier than Erin's Kansas in Episode 8.  

First he slumped his shoulders and blamed himself for the immunity loss. Next he prayed over poor Lucky the chicken – "Thank you for giving your life" – before snapping its neck. Then he led a group hug of the remaining Sook Jais – "You're special, special people" – before bawling over the prospect of losing one of them.  

Meanwhile, another Texan, Fort Worth's Jan "Granny" Gentry, added Lucky's inedible head and feet to her "pet cemetery," which already housed a dead bat.  

Backwoods Clay Jordan of Canyon, Texas, professed himself sickened by all this sentiment. And conniving Penny Ramsey of Plano, the last competitor under 30, thought the Sook Jais should "sleep together" on the night before the tribal council vote further thinned their herd.  

"That sounds almost erotic," said Pa Walton, a.k.a. Jake. "I'm kiddin'."  

E-mail [email protected]  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.