Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:47am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « HELP a fellow fan and student »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   HELP a fellow fan and student
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP a fellow fan and student  (Read 476 times)
tothebeach
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

HELP a fellow fan and student
« on: Apr 26th, 2004, 6:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, I am writing a paper on the pleasures of Survivor, and I need some opinions.  I have to defend my love for the show in the paper.  Help! I need opinions, stories or anything about why you like Survivor.  What is your pleasure in watching Survivor?
THANK YOU!!!!!
IP Logged
david

Email

Re: HELP a fellow fan and student
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 6:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

read through all the Survivor threads we have here that should help alot
IP Logged
Rupey
ForumsNet Member

Can't top Pearl Islands!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 9:25pm »

Yep--what David said.  That's what these Survivor forums are all about!
IP Logged

"Lord, please make me the person my dog thinks I am."
Boradamer
ForumsNet Member
USA 

"I wonder if I should do a comb over?"

jwpritts  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 9:30am »

I think you will find most of people are drawn to the human nature aspect of the game. What would most people do for a million dollars? Would you betray a friend? Would you lie to a stranger? Would you sabotage the efforts of others to further your own needs?

Survivor is great in that it causes many to look deep within themselves when they are out there. The providers show their true colors. The schemers show theirs. Others just survive through the efforts of others and there are those that prefer to lead when others refuse to.

:twocents:
IP Logged
sweetmisery
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

I am The Game!

burnedbutbest   sweetmisery+99
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 10:39am »

There you go, he said it all kid...
IP Logged

"When it comes to compliments, women are ravenous blood-sucking monsters always want'n more... more... MORE! And if you give it to them, you'll get plenty back in return."
--- Homer Simpson

atticus
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 9:10am »

Once I started thinking about this question I could not stop finding more reasons why survivor is so fascinating.  

The human behaviour aspect is really compelling, particularly the 'what people would do for money' thing. Like, would you eat a live cockroach for a million dollars? I don't think I could  eat bugs for any amount of money but I know people who would eat a whole plateful for ten grand!  

It is interesting to see people from competely different backgrounds interact, making alliances or enemies - what about odd coupling of the good looking used car salesman and his 'faithful soldier' the skinny redneck Clay in Thailand? (I'm not so good with names obviously). I know that he knew he wouldn't lose against him in the final and that's prob why he picked him but an odd match just the same. And of course Rob and Amber seem to be the first real romantic situation in survivor so far. Excluding the 'I was dreaming and I thought she was my wife' groping on a previous survivor of course.

And you can see 'mind over matter' proven over and over again, I mean did anyone predict Shi-ann would be able to hold that arm up and look like it was a walk in the park for over TWO HOURS!! She needed that immunity so badly her brain just willed the body to do what it would not normally be able to. You try it, it's bloody hard to do! And the boyscout leader's knees holding out on that log in the final three last time - who would have guessed her strength?

And then at the end when the jury votes, there are always suprises - why did the deaf girl turn from vowing that the 'evil stepsisters of mine will not win a million dollars' to actually voting for Jenna at the final?

Plus there is the 'water cooler' factor, plenty to talk about in the office the next day on who booted who, who is the villain, who is the stupidest, who has the worst insect bites, who said what to whom etc. etc. I have talked survivor to people I wouldn't normally have a lot in common with - and I love that it is watched (in my office at least) by the executive right through to the receptionist.

The whole voyeuristic thing is also there, as well as the suspense of finding out who is next on the chopping block.

And I also think the Americans do survivor the absolute best. Australia did a survivor a few years ago and it was almost unwatchable - they all placed friendship over strategy and were very preoccupied with their physical health. I wonder why no other country has been able to successfully copy Survivor when Big Brother, the pop Idol shows and other reality shows do okay in other countries? (Could it be that Jeff Probst is the absolute key to Survivor success?)

That's my take on it anyway. Good luck in your paper.

IP Logged
CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 5th, 2004, 11:33pm »

The nature of the game...the dynamics and the real life...
IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
kabi958

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 11th, 2004, 6:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

plus I find it brings out the surviver in us all. How many times have you watched and thought "if that was me I would do this or that"  kabi
IP Logged
azure
ForumsNet Member
USA 

azure1967  
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 11th, 2004, 6:41pm »

if it were me my luxery item would be a side of beef or a keg of beer

Roll Eyes

Cheesy
IP Logged

HELLO EVERYBODY!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.