Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 5:53am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Keeping score is baseball's lost art »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Keeping score is baseball's lost art
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Keeping score is baseball's lost art  (Read 623 times)
zg129
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Keeping score is baseball's lost art
« on: Jun 27th, 2016, 9:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

<p>Nobody keeps score at baseball games anymore.</p>
I not saying we not aware of what the score is. We have multimillion dollar scoreboards to tell us that (although they often seem more interested in showing us the Cam than what inning it is).</p>
I talking about the time honored practice of keeping a score book. It gone the way of throwing a Dt5FW6a9x spitball or stealing home plate. We might see those things once or twice a year, but not every day. Not anymore.</p>
Scorekeeping is built on a system of each position in the field having a number. A lot of people know what a 6 4 3 double play wholesale nhl jerseys is, but fewer and fewer know why it called that.</p>
These days, the only people who keep score of baseball games are those who have to. Most of these people are team moms for youth or high school baseball and softball games. Nowadays, there may be more women than men who know how to keep score.</p>
Not that there haven always been women who knew how to keep score. My mom used to keep score of World Series games. She didn need a fancy score book; she just made a grid with spaces for innings and batters and she was set.</p>
Her style of scorekeeping was, shall we say, simplified. No 6 4 3s for her. If a batter made an out, she just put an on her score card. Some of them are better at it than others. If you watch Night Baseball on ESPN, you know that each week analyst John Kruk starts off keeping score, but usually gives up when things get complicated; you know, like when a team starts scoring runs.</p>
There a classic story about Phil Rizzuto and Bill White, former players who became Yankees broadcasters after retirement. White had a couple of innings off, so he left the booth for a while. When he came back, he glanced at Rizzuto score card so he could catch up with what he had missed.</p>
Everything was fine until White came across the notation a couple of times on Rizzuto card. I admit there have been a lot of games I gone to where I haven held onto the score card afterward. Let just say some games just don deserve recollection.</p>
But you can bet I held onto other score cards, such as Kirk Gibson 1988 World Series home run. My score card from the 2010 Major League All Star Game in Anaheim is in the same score book as a Moorpark Santa Ynez high school playoff game.</p>
When I was a kid, I used to keep score of games I watched on TV or even listened to on the radio. That kind of thing takes cheap wholesale jerseysrsey dedication. Once you start keeping score of a game, you can stop. You committed. It nine innings or nothing.</p>
Recently, I gotten hooked on scoring games on TV again because of an app called iScore, which is available for nearly all tablets and smartphones. It was designed primarily for youth teams, but you can also purchase the MLB rosters. Each day, iScore keeps up with changes on major league rosters and if you decide to score a game, it will automatically put in the starting lineups for you.</p>
You push buttons to keep score. You can view it on a baseball jersey sizes screen with the lineups and pitch counts or look at the score card it builds for you. When you finished, the app generates a box score for you and more stats than you or even Billy Beane could ever want. And since all of it is digital, your house doesn fill up with scorebooks.</p>
It not particularly cheap: The app costs $9.99 and the MLB rosters cost $19.99.</p>
It can also cost you considerable family time, so don get too hooked on it. The first game I did with the MLB rosters was Clayton Kershaw no hitter, so there was no turning back.</p>
But in a busy world, a scorekeeping app is a cool way to enjoy a near forgotten art.</p>
THE WEEK JUST PAST</p>
Now, in case you been going through life marking here a look at the week just past:</p>
LeBron James says he go back to wearing No. 23 when he returns to Cleveland. I suppose it in appreciation to fans who never burned the jerseys they had before he left for Miami.  Dodgers Cuban shortstop prospect Erisbel Arruebarrena, playing for Triple A Albuquerque, was the focal point of a minor league donnybrook in Reno that saw nine people ejected. The Dodgers immediately demoted Arruebarrena to Class A Rancho Cucamonga.  Observers said this was the first time they could ever remember the words and ever appearing together in one news item.  The game in Reno also marked the first game back for Albuquerque infielder Alex Guerrero, who had part of his left ear bitten off in an altercation with teammate Miguel Olivo.  On the other side of the spectrum were the Hall of Fame inductions in Cooperstown, New York, honoring three special players, Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas and Tom Glavine, and three special managers, Joe Torre, Bobby Cox and Tony La Russa.  Jeff Gordon was already the NASCAR points leader, but he may have surprised even himself by winning the Brickyard 400 on Sunday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I don know why; he won it a record five times, the first 20 years ago.  Do you remember where you were 30 years ago Monday? Maybe on July 28, 1984, you were at the Los Angeles Coliseum for the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Olympic Games. http://www.drugtestcentral.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53291&am p;#post53291<br>http://kengerli.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92834&PID=96160#96160<br>http://www.singakademie-gera.de/include.php?path=forumsthread&thread id=6165&entries=0#post7614<br></p>
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.