Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:36pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Grad School »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Grad School
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Grad School  (Read 1198 times)
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

Welcome Home Stanley! Hockeytown Loves YOU!

View Profile

Grad School
« on: Jun 19th, 2002, 8:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

This may be an  unusual topic, so I apologize, but I was interested in finding out how many people here have gone to grad school.

I am meeting today with the Dean of the Hospice program today to try to figure out what I need to do to get accepted into grad school for a Master Degree in Hospice.  

I'm more than a little bit nervous about persuing this, but I have been wanting to get back to school for the past 10 years.

I am choosing to persue a Masters in Hospice because I have been volunteering for Hospice for 3 years now and I really believe in Hospice and love the work I have been able to do for them.

It would not only be a complete change in my former education, but in my career as well and I am uncertain about what I could really do with this degree when I graduate (I suppose I can ask this question, specifically today).

I work full time (and then some) and will probably only be able to take 1 or 2 classes per semester, so if I go all year long (summer included) then it will take me 3-4 years to graduate.

So....anybody.....is getting your masters degree worth the time and $$?

IP Logged

Now this looks like a job for Detroit,
So everyone, just follow Steve,
'Cause we need another cup, can't you see,
'Cause it feels so empty without Stanley!

Hockeytown - Home of the Detroit Red Wings
*Go Wings Go*
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

Re: Grad School
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 8:57am »

Kramer...

I don't have a masters, but I do have an advanced degree.. Definately worth it for me, but I think it depends on the field. My original field was Psych, and I know a masters there isnt worth anything. My wife has a masters in Public Health, and is working on her doctorate, but would be able to get a job with just the masters. So, you might want to ask people who have advanced training in your field of study.  

Money-wise, it WAS expensive. I am still paying it all off, although you can get thru school with loan money.  

I guess the reall question is, does the money and time spent pay off with any real rewards in your field?  

Dan
IP Logged

Check out the Watercooler for free discussion of Board Issues! http://pub137.ezboard.com/fthewatercooler46545frm4

Gabby
ForumsNet Member

Hugs to you all!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 9:14am »

Once you know what's in store financially/career-wise for earning your Master's in this field you'll be able to make a better decision.

Don't let the time (3-4 years) scare you off.  I have a good friend from college who decided at age 28 that his BS in Engineering and his MBA weren't making him happy.  He wanted to become a doctor.  We all said, "You'll be 40 when you finish."  His reply?  "In 12 years, I'll be 40 anyway."  

Well -- He's 37 and will start his residency in Grand Rapids, MI in a month.  When he's 40, he'll have been Dr. Dan (yep...another DrDan) for 3 years.  Time flies.  He's happy.
IP Logged

This too shall pass.
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 9:16am »

Thanks for the encouragement Gabby and Dan, I agree with you both.

And now Gabby, you have me thinking that maybe I should just forget about my masters degree and go to Vetinarian School instead  Cheesy

OK, maybe thats another dream for another day...somedays I just wish I could go back and "redo".

IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 10:15am »

Hi there. Well I have been to grad school and to professional school.  Grad school was the best time of my life and it teaches you how to think independently and carefully.  However professional school gets you an income.  Both will give you more independence in your chosen career whatever that may end up being.  The position that you pursue will always give you more decision making authority once you have completed post graduate work.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the interview goes well.  Ask lots of questions.  

Addams
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 10:33am »

on Jun 19th, 2002, 9:16am, Kramer wrote:
And now Gabby, you have me thinking that maybe I should just forget about my masters degree and go to Vetinarian School instead  Cheesy

Well, why not?  It's never too late to follow your dreams...
IP Logged
lalake
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 9:15pm »

Kramer,

You are a special person if you have volunteered for 4 years at Hospice.  I had a friend go through Hospice and it was a great comfort to her.  Thank you for your work.

It sounds like you have a special calling for Hospice and I hope you get all the answers you are looking for in your interview.

I have never regretted going to grad school, --well, maybe the first time I had to take a test and I was thinking "hey, I am already employable and I walked away from $$ to study this--why am I here?"  But that feeling passed as new knowledge came along and it was worth it.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
lalake

IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 11:15pm »

yes! yes! yes!  it is definitely worth it....i have no idea of when or where i will finish but i am glad for the experience thus far.

i am already jealous of the topic...i took that hospice training five or six years ago and have used many of the skills in the dtes...the thought of a master's in hospice is making me drool... Lips Sealed Smiley
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 6:52pm »

I have been meaning to post an update, but have lost track of time  Roll Eyes

Anyhow, the interview went very well.  I found out what I can be when I grow up, ha ha ha.

I think I will get my Masters in Hospice with a dual cognate in Education and Bereavement.  Ideally, I would like to be a Bereavement Coordinator, but if that doesn't work out as nicely as I hope it would, I could then possibly look at teaching  about Hospice and Bereavement.

Either way, I don't suppose I have to worry too much about my career as it will take me about 4 years to finish, ha ha ha.

Of course, this entire conversation is putting the cart in front of the horse, as I haven't even formally applied or been accepted into grad school!  I will be busy doing that this week.

EEG, if you would like to master in Hospice, it is never too late.  I would encourage you to consider tacking on a couple of years Wink

Thanks for giving me the encouragement I needed, I think that this feels pretty good to me, so I will definitely be persuing this further.

IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:05pm »

Kramer your communications skills are so excellent i think you would be well suited to this as a life choice.  Eastendgirl would be as well.  let us know if we can help with the application Wink  Actually what I really want to say is good luck with the application - because they are usually alot of work.  

How is your toe doing?  It's been a week now right?  Are you getting around OK?  Thinking of you  up here in Toronto Wink

PS I have been meaning to look up the exact meaning of the word Hospice.  I think i have an idea of what it's all about.  I didn't know you could get a post graduate degree in this subject area.  Can you tell us a little more about what Hospice is?  Thanks.
IP Logged
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

What is Hospice...
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:19pm »

aadams,

Here is some very basic information regarding Hospice:

What is Hospice?
Hospice is a philosophy rather than a place.

Hospice considers the entire family the unit of care.

Hospice seeks to empower the patient to carry on an alert and pain free life, to promote dignity and to maximize quality of life.  It focuses on LIVING rather than dying.

Hospice makes no attempt to prolong life or to hasten death.

Hospice is designed to meet the needs of the whole person.  This  includes physical, emotional and spiritual needs.

Hospice methods succeed through the efforts of the patients primary care person along with a team of professionals that include the registered nurse, the certified nurse assistant, the social worker, clergy, volunteers, therapists and physicians.

Hospice is best when begun early enough that the patient and family can benefit fully from support and counseling.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q:  Who is eligible for hospice care?
A:  Hospice provides a comprehensive system of care to all terminally ill people and their families regardless of age, gender, nationality, race, creed, sexual orientation, disability, diagnosis, availability of a primary caregiver or ability to pay.  Terminally ill is defined by most hospices to suggest that the patient has a prognosis measured in weeks and months.  The doctor must certify that if the disease progresses at it's present rate, life expectancy is limited to approximately 6 months or less.

Q:  What does the term palliative mean?
A:  Hospice defines palliative care as an intensive program of care with the relief of pain and suffering being the treatment goal.  When cure is no longer possible, hospice recognizes a peaceful and comfortable death as a valid goal of modern health care.  Hospice believes that death is an integral part of the life cycle and that intensive palliative care which focuses on pain relief and comfort is the important goal in the care of dying patients.  

Q:  When should a decision about entering a hospice program be made and who should make it?
A:  At any time during a life-limiting illness, its appropriate to discuss all of a patients care options, including hospice.  By law the decision belongs to the patient or the patients surrogate.

Q:  Should I wait for our physician to raise the possibility of hospice, or should I raise it first?
A:  The patient and family should feel free to discuss hospice care at any time with their physician, other healthcare professionals, clergy and friends.

Q:  Can a hospice patient who shows signs of recovery be returned to regular medical treatment?
A:  Yes.  If the patients condition improves and the disease seems to be in remission, patients can be discharged from hospice and return to active therapy.  If a discharged patient should later need to return to hospice care, Medicare and most private insurance will allow additional benefit coverage for this purpose.

Q:  What does a hospice admission process involve?
A:  One of the first things hospice will do is contact the patients physician to make sure he or she agrees that hospice care is appropriate.  (Hospices have medical staff available to help patients who have no physician).  The patient will also be asked to sign consent and insurance forms; these are similar to forms patients sign when they enter a hospital.  It also outlines the services available.

Q:  Is there any special equipment or changes I have to make in my home before hospice care begins?
A:  Your Angela Hospice will work with you to assess your needs, recommend and help make arrangements for any necessary equipment.  Often the need for equipment is minimal at first and increases as the disease progresses.  In general, hospice will assist in any way it can to make home care as convenient and safe as possible.

Q:  How many  family members or friends does it take to care for a patient at home?
A:  There is no set number.  One of the first things a hospice team will do is to prepare an individualized care plan that will, among other things, address the amount of caregiving needed in your situation.  Hospice staff visits regularly and are always accessible by phone to answer medical questions and provide support.

Q:  Must someone be with the patient at all times:
A:  In the early weeks of care, its usually not necessary for someone to be with the patient all the time.  Later, however, since one of the most common fears of patients is the fear of dying alone, it is generally recommended that someone be with the patient continuously.  While family and friends must be relied on to give most of the care, hospices can provide volunteers to assist with errands and to provide a break and time away for major caregivers.

Q:  How difficult is caring for a dying loved one at home?
A:  Its never easy and can be quite hard.  At the end of a long, progressive illness, nights especially can be very long, lonely and sad.  So,  hospices have staff available around the clock to consult with the family and make night visits if the need arises. Nursing staff is on-call 24 hours a day.

Q:  How does hospice manage pain?
A:  Pain is treated as an emergency in hospice care.  Hospice believes that emotional and spiritual pain are just as real and in need of attention as physical pain, so it addresses each.  Pain, as much as possible, is addressed prior to need, thus preventing pain rather than responding to pain.  Hospice physicians, nurses, and pharmacists are up to date on the latest medications, devices and options for pain and symptom relief.

Q:  Is hospice affiliated with any religious organizations?
A:  Hospice is not based on any specific religious organization.  While some churches and religious organizations have started hospices, sometimes in connection with other health care programs, these hospices serve a broad community and do not require patients to adhere to any particular set of beliefs.

Q:  How can hospice help with specific diseases and decision-making?
A:  Often hospice staff can help patients and families answer questions about end-of-life care planning and decision making.  Families caring for a family member with Alzheimers Disease often need help with determining when a patient should or could be admitted to hospice care.  Families in this situation are often very tired, and they want to be sure they are asking the right questions and have access to comprehensive information.

Q:  Are all hospice programs the same?
A:  The majority of hospice programs across the nation provide very similar core services, and if they are certified by Medicare, you can be assured that these core services are all provided.  Many programs, however, provide additional services that are reflective of the needs of the community, the size of the hospice program, the community resources that are available, or the partnerships that have been created with other organizations in the community to support the needs of the dying and their families.

Q:  How might one advance plan for hospice care?
A:  Learning about hospice care is the most effective way to advance plan for when hospice care may be needed by an individual or family member.  The more you know about the hospice in your community, the better equipped you are to make appropriate decisions for end-of-life care for yourself, family members, friends and colleagues.

Q:  How long is hospice care usually needed?
A:  That depends on many factors and may occur when focus changes to comfort care vs. curative treatment.  Some patients only receive hospice care for a few days.  Others receive hospice care for a number of months prior to death.  Often patients will have a period where they do better after being admitted to a hospice program, with a focus on palliation rather than curative therapies.  Patients also vary in the amount of time they are in stages of active dying, with some only a few hours and others several days.  

Q:  Does hospice provide any support to the family after the patient dies?
A:  Hospice provides continuing contact and support for family and friends for at least a year following the death of a loved one.  Most hospices also provide specialized bereavement programs and more and more are becoming the major community resource for bereavement services.

And here is a pretty good website, packed full of information regarding specifics of Hospice:

http://www.hospicenet.org/

edited to correct some formatting problems that occurred from the copy/paste.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:22pm by Kramer » IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:10pm »

p.s.  i forgot to mention that a nurse friend of mine has just finished almost this exact degree...meanwhile, i still have uncountable (probably not a word) or my master's to slug through... Wink  she has been working as a coordinator for her area hospice for the last five or six years.  if you would like me to kramer, i could email her about her degree (master's) and her job... Smiley

pps grad school has been one of the best things i have done for my growth and challenge....i highly suggest it.
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24th, 2002, 7:49am »

thanks eeg, wow, you sound very busy  Shocked

I think I am just going to try one masters at a time, ha ha ha.   Grin  

If you have some time and your friend doesn't mind, I would love to hear more about the type of work she does for Hospice.

Thanks for the offer  Smiley
IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 24th, 2002, 8:03am »

Thanks Eastendgirl for all the wonderful info on Hospice.  I had no idea.  This is why I love these internet boards because I learn everyday so much.  Thanks and I think a Masters in Degree in Hospice would be very fulfilling.  Indeed I am so pleased that society is moving in this direction.  Thank goodness.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.