Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 6:10pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Ann Landers died last night »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Ann Landers died last night
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ann Landers died last night  (Read 705 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Ann Landers died last night
« on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow - there was something in me that figured she was immortal.  I never really knew whether she was still alive or not.  Certainly those pics of her by her columns didn't look like she was in her 80's Wink

Is it true that she and her sister Abigail (Dear Abby) had trouble getting along?

I think with the internet, message boards and news groups folks have now been getting their advice from places other than newspaper columnists.  I wonder if they will replace her or just print re-runs for a while.
IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: Ann Landers died last night
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 2:47pm »

hmmmm....this is sad.  i don't think i've read her much in the last few years but, like you addams, i just thought she'd live on and on.   Sad
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 6:00pm »

I never read Ann Landers much, I grew up in a town where we had Dear Abby only, but I remember reading that the two of them were twin sisters and that they have the same first and middle names, only reversed (but I don't recall what the names were - Ann & Abby are pen names).  I remember reading that Ann got her job first and Abby helped her write the answers and then Ann helped Abby get her own column.  I never read about them being out of sorts with each other, but it's been several years.. I suppose they could have had a falling out.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:12pm »

in my experience most of the Canadian papers carried Ann Landers column and I rarely see Dear Abby here.  I have no idea if it is true that there was any issues between them.  so much of what is said could well be apocraphyl (gee - if I am going to use the big word I should learn how to spell it  Roll Eyes )  I have been reading the newspapers since I was a little kid in the sixties and I have always read her columns.  Not as much lately because I don't read the paper as much but still her column catches my eye from time to time and i will read what she has to say.
IP Logged
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24th, 2002, 7:42am »

on Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:31am, addams wrote:
I wonder if they will replace her or just print re-runs for a while.

addams, Ms. Landers made it clear that her column was to passaway when she passed away.  There will be no one filling in her shoes, not that anyone could anyway.  I believe she had her column written ahead for about three weeks.  After that, Ann Landers column will be no more.  Her editor will be starting a column called Ann's mailbox, upon completion of her last writings.  Classy lady, the newspaper community has lost a wonderful woman.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.