Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:22am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Follow up on Assistant Principal »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Follow up on Assistant Principal
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Follow up on Assistant Principal  (Read 2652 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Follow up on Assistant Principal
« on: Jun 19th, 2002, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is some follow up to an article I posted a little while back on the SA site.

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- A female assistant principal was demoted for lifting girls' skirts to make sure they weren't wearing thongs to a high school dance.  

Rita Wilson's thong check April 26 in front of male students and adults had enraged parents, one of whom threatened to sue.  

The Rancho Bernardo High School administrator, who has tenure, will be reassigned to a teaching position, the school board decided Monday.  

"I'm very disappointed and deeply saddened," Wilson, 47, said as she wiped away tears and hugged supporters.  

An investigation by the school district concluded Wilson "went far beyond the grounds of propriety" with the underwear inspection.  

Students said Wilson lifted girls' skirts before they entered the dance, and told those wearing thongs to go home and change.  

Wilson said she was concerned the combination of revealing clothing and suggestive dancing could lead to sexual assaults.  

IP Logged
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

Welcome Home Stanley! Hockeytown Loves YOU!

View Profile

Re: Follow up on Assistant Principal
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 3:25pm »

Oh great, reassign the psycho to teach our children...sigh.   Is this a catholic school because the punishement  sounds like it was issued from the catholic church?

Angry Huh Sad Cry
IP Logged

Now this looks like a job for Detroit,
So everyone, just follow Steve,
'Cause we need another cup, can't you see,
'Cause it feels so empty without Stanley!

Hockeytown - Home of the Detroit Red Wings
*Go Wings Go*
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 3:43pm »

My favorite is how she justifies her sexually assaulting them by saying she was only doing it to keep others from sexually assaulting them.
IP Logged
Roo94
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 12:04pm »

Don't you just love it when they just reassign teachers?  We have a current case in RI - elementary school nurse/teacher arrested for stealing Ritalin.  She was convicted - but it was only a Misdeameanor.  So she lost her job at that particular elementary school but will be reassigned to another elementary school in the same city because the charge wasn't serious enough to fire her.

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 2:01pm »

Hmm.. again how eerily similar to the catholic church policies... Roll Eyes
IP Logged
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 3:05pm »

Does anyone else besides me see the problem with tenure here?

How can I get tenure in my job?... it would be nice to be able to act however I want and not have to worry about work related consequences....

Maybe I should quit my job and find one that has a union to "support" me Wink
IP Logged

Check out the Watercooler for free discussion of Board Issues! http://pub137.ezboard.com/fthewatercooler46545frm4

Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 3:11pm »

Dan you don't strike me as the type to voluntarily pay union dues.  But I could be wrong.  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 3:17pm »

I would absolutely pay union dues! I wouldn't want them to be wasted on politicians I don't support, though...

I think unions serve a vital role, but when they get too powerful, they can certainly cause problems. When they protect people from getting fired for no reason, that a good thing... If they keep someone who sexually assaults someone in their job around kids, I dont think its so good...

I guess its more a matter of what functions a union serves that causes concern to me....  

I can see where you would think that about me, though Smiley
IP Logged

Check out the Watercooler for free discussion of Board Issues! http://pub137.ezboard.com/fthewatercooler46545frm4

Gabby
ForumsNet Member

Hugs to you all!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 6:58am »

on Jun 20th, 2002, 3:05pm, DanDC99 wrote:
How can I get tenure in my job?... it would be nice to be able to act however I want and not have to worry about work related consequences....

This is SO untrue it's sickening.  Teacher tenure laws require that a teacher is given due process and that is all.  When you see extreme cases where a teacher was "protected" by tenure what you actually have is an administration who is overburdened and won't (or can't) put the time into a tenure "trial."

School boards and administration acts like they "can't" get rid of a tenured teacher when in fact it isn't really that difficult nor expensive when there is a violation.  Any criminal misconduct (including a felony DUI on a Saturday night far away from school) is means for dismissal.  Sexual assault would OBVIOUSLY fit.  Other things (like being a "bad" teacher) are harder to prove and thus give the whole system a bad rap.

Why do teacher's need tenure?  We work in a career in which EVERYONE believes they are an expert (since they've spent time observing us since they were five).  Parents sometimes become so blinded to their children's problems that they search to blame:  the most likely blamee  Mr/Mrs. Teacher.  Can you imagine what could happen to a teacher who dares teach the approved sex-ed curriculum, but comes up against a newly elected right-wing school board member?  When a teacher has to discipline the principal's own child?

Teenagers are observant little buggers.  In my town (not the one I teach in) a group of girls did not make the honors band.  At a slumber party they made up a story of "inappropriate touching" by the band director.  He was fired -- even though he had tenure and the community believed that he was innocent.  FIVE years later (in civil court) one of the girls finally "cracked":  the whole thing was false.  Teachers in our area now fear that other kids will make up stories to get revenge.  (And as a parent I fear that a true story will be passed off as a lie...)

So -- my point?  It's not a perfect system, but teachers need to have due process to protect against political groups, angry parents, whacko administrators...etc.  If you want to work "against" tenure -- make tenure more difficult to obtain (as they've done in MI) and make sure your school board is willing to take on a case (which is not as expensive as you may think).
IP Logged

This too shall pass.
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 7:08am »

I agree with Gabby, I am somewhat appalled that the parents are not outraged about the reassignment of this vice principal.  If it were a school in my city, I would be arranging pep rallys of concerned parents to confront the board of education and the school board to demand not only that this person be terminated from teaching, but prosecuted as fully as possible, within the legal system.  What she did wasn't simply inappropriate, it was a sexual assault, in my opinion and I would hope that the DA's office had been notified (by the school!)  If not, I would then be raising serious questions about the people who were running the school and making all of the decisions.

IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 9:00am »

Sorry, Gabby... I didn't mean to upset you (if I have). You are absolutely right, and I should not have placed all of the blame where I did.  

However, the combination of strong union/ weak administration is one that can ensure bad teachers with tenure hang around. I would imagine that these weak school boards are afraid to get sued by the union (who has deep pockets and lots of lawyers). I know some are also afraid to get sued by the parents... Heck, if I knew why school boards did some of the assinine things they did, I would be writing a book on it...

For example, the story out there right now about the teacher who caught all those kids cheating and failed them all. Then the administration (school board, whoever) stepped in and passed them. I assume this is because they didnt want to get sued by parents in this case....

The reason I origninally put it at the feet of the union is because when a teacher does something for which I feel they should be fired, most of the time you hear "but, they have tenure and cant be fired".... However, I will certainly agree the problem is on both sides. I just wish I had a solution....

Dan
IP Logged

Gabby
ForumsNet Member

Hugs to you all!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 9:17am »

on Jun 21st, 2002, 9:00am, DanDC99 wrote:
Sorry, Gabby... I didn't mean to upset you (if I have). You are absolutely right, and I should not have placed all of the blame where I did.  

No problem.  It's just one of those issues that drives good teachers nuts!  

I wish the union would allow us to police ourselves more (like physicians or lawyers), but it's tough.  We have a teacher in our department who is awful.  The administration has had a hard time building a case against her since her problem is that she doesn't know her material.  She's a nice person and isn't a threat to kids -- she's just ineffective (and in way over her head).  Our hands are tied, too.  If we had some sort of "review" process, her co-workers wouldn't let her stay and could build a case.  It's hard for the former gym-teacher (now principal) to prove she can't teach Trigonometry though -- since he has no idea what's right and wrong.

Fortunately, it is now harder to earn tenure (this particular teacher wouldn't have gotten it IMO).  We've dismissed several math teachers before they got tenure.  So maybe things will get better for everyone.

Undecided  If there's an answer -- I hope we find it.
IP Logged

This too shall pass.
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 9:30am »

Amen....

I think if the unions did a better job of policing themselves, it would help a great deal....
IP Logged

Kramer
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 9:44am »

on Jun 21st, 2002, 9:17am, Gabby wrote:

We have a teacher in our department who is awful.  The administration has had a hard time building a case against her since her problem is that she doesn't know her material.  She's a nice person and isn't a threat to kids -- she's just ineffective (and in way over her head).  Our hands are tied, too.  If we had some sort of "review" process, her co-workers wouldn't let her stay and could build a case.  It's hard for the former gym-teacher (now principal) to prove she can't teach Trigonometry though -- since he has no idea what's right and wrong.

I would just like to state for the record that this type of situation exists in almost every work place, union or not.

I, too, have inexperienced and ineffective people where I work and it amazes me the level of incompetence a large corporation is willing to absorb.  It also frustrates the life out of me  Embarassed
IP Logged

*Go Wings Go*
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 10:48am »

on Jun 21st, 2002, 9:44am, Kramer wrote:

I would just like to state for the record that this type of situation exists in almost every work place, union or not.

I, too, have inexperienced and ineffective people where I work and it amazes me the level of incompetence a large corporation is willing to absorb.  It also frustrates the life out of me  Embarassed

Isn't that Murphy's Law?  Rising to your own level of incompetence.

Happens everywhere.  From past experience, the only way to get rid of ineffective people is to put in place some sort of evaluation/preformance review process and DOCUMENT everything!  Not a rapid process granted, but without documentation, whether there is a union involved or not, tenure or whatever,  chances of making a change will go nowhere.
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 1:39pm »

Actually, I believe that's the Peter Principle. Murphy's Law is roughly - shit will always go wrong if it can. Wink
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:09am »

You're right Rhune, I stand corrected.  
Guess I was having a "senior moment" there. Shocked
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 2:07pm »

Are senior moments filed under P for Peter Principle or M for Murphy's Law? Oh well, I'll think about it tomorrow.  

Undecided
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:13pm »

Uh, Senior moments are filed under, uh, under, uh,
Say . . . . . what were we talking aboutHuhHuh?? Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.