Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 10:19pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Parenting and Communications Skills »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Parenting and Communications Skills
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Parenting and Communications Skills  (Read 807 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Parenting and Communications Skills
« on: Jun 21st, 2002, 10:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Warning:  long rambling post ahead about communication skills, a personal struggle for me.  

As a parent I learned something from one of my daughter's day care teachers that has stuck with me for nearly 4 years.  Before my daughter could even walk or speak a word, the day care provider would encourage her to "use her words" to express herself and then take then next step which I believe to be key.  She would then follow up with the words to be used.  

Just to say "use your words" or "be better" or "behave" simply does not communicate enough information.  It is not a matter of telling someone what to do in an authoritarian way.  Instead it is realizing that sometimes the person simply will not know how to do whatever it is you are asking of them.   At first when she told my 10 month old to "use your words" I nearly laughed, it seemed so preposterous.  However my 13 month old suddenly had 20+ words that she was using to express herself and her needs.  

I have tried to remember this when I am parenting.  

A similar event as an adult made me realize that even as adults we need to guide each other from time to time.  This was reinforced when I was in a very difficult personal time which required legal counselling.  I had to communicate with an adversary in a very difficult employment situation and I simply could not manage the most simple of actions it seemed.  Finally the lawyer told me "say this" when a certain event occurred.  This took away all the stress.  It seemed simple but sometimes we just don't have all the information or the experience to know what to do in particular circumstances.

I am always looking for ideas about parenting and communication skills.  As a child who was raised by the edict "children are to be seen and not heard" (yes they even said that!) communication has been a life long challenge for me.  My mother too has had great difficulty communicating in a calm manner.  

Here's a site that has some suggestions http://www.canadianparents.com/articles/feature40f.htm

also Oprah.com has some suggestions on ways to bond with your children. http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/tows_2002/tows_past_20020620.jhtml

If anyone has other individuals, books or sites that they recommend I would be delighted to learn of them.  Sometimes it seems like alot of mumbo jumbo pscyhology.  I am really looking for practical and effective actions that we can take to be better communicators in our lives. (shorter posts probably is a good start Wink )
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2002, 6:53am by Addams » IP Logged
Gabby
ForumsNet Member

Hugs to you all!

View Profile

Re: Parenting and Communications Skills
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 6:05am »

129 and I took a great class two summers ago (Strategies for Teaching Acceptance of Responsibility) and one of the books was called "Teacher Talk."  It was awesome.  It broke down common "teacherisms" into what you say/mean and what is heard and then suggested better ways to say them.

(I'll go get it later and post some of my favorites -- but it's in my bedroom and MrGabby is slumbering peacefully)

There is a companion book, "Parent Talk" and one of the authors is Chick Moorman.  I'll see if I can track that one down, too.

One thing I use all the time with T&C is the idea that they are have the power to choose.  For example, "If you choose not to eat your dinner, then you're choosing not to have dessert."  Gives them the power and avoids the negative "No dessert if you don't eat your dinner."  (In school, it usually goes like this: "If you choose not to complete your assignment, then you're choosing to earn a zero." Wink )

Once they're used to the choose/choose sentence then when they misbehave all I say is "Please make a different choice."  In school I'll often say, "Please make a quiet choice" when they're getting out of hand during work time.  Most of the time, they "choose" to get back to work! Smiley
IP Logged

This too shall pass.
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 6:51am »

on Jun 22nd, 2002, 6:05am, Gabby wrote:
129 and I took a great class two summers ago (Strategies for Teaching Acceptance of Responsibility) and one of the books was called "Teacher Talk."  ...  There is a companion book, "Parent Talk" and one of the authors is Chick Moorman.  ...
One thing I use all the time with T&C is the idea that they are have the power to choose.  For example, "If you choose not to eat your dinner, then you're choosing not to have dessert."  Gives them the power and avoids the negative "No dessert if you don't eat your dinner."  (In school, it usually goes like this: "If you choose not to complete your assignment, then you're choosing to earn a zero." Wink )

Once they're used to the choose/choose sentence then when they misbehave all I say is "Please make a different choice."  In school I'll often say, "Please make a quiet choice" when they're getting out of hand during work time.  Most of the time, they "choose" to get back to work! Smiley
Gabby thanks for this incredible post.  You are a source of so much wonderful information.  I also set up the choose/choose scenarios but I don't go the next step.  Thanks for giving me the "words" to use at the misbehave step.  

I found myself so unprepared and unable to cope last Thursday during a serious misbehaving time in public.  I try to prepare Wednesday for public events and guide her in the appropriate behaviours I am seeking before we leave the house. But asking them to make a particular choice is great.  It does totally avoid the negative.  Can't wait to hear more (after Mr. Gabby wakes up of course Wink  )
IP Logged
Gabby
ForumsNet Member

Hugs to you all!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 7:22am »

MrGabby is STILL sleeping (He's emotionally spent and I completely understand his need to cocoon for a couple of days)...

Here's a link to the Parent Talk book.  The "Spirit Whisperer" page is really neat, too.

http://www.chickmoorman.com/books.html

IP Logged

This too shall pass.
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 9:12am »

I read something somewhere when my kids were small that has stuck in my head all these years. It was called "Do you speak Childreneese". The main point it made was that kids are much more literal than we are and it's important to be really specific.  

One example it gave was a child who's mom was ill. Neighbors came in to help out while the mom rested behind a closed bedroom door. The child asked where her mom was and the neighbor replied "lying down". The child kept asking the same question and kept getting variations of the same answer - "resting" etc. Finally the child "acted out", demanding to know where her mom was.  

The point was that "lying down" or "resting" isn't a location, it's an activity. To a child a person can do those things anywhere.  

Addams, the words "behave" brought back a long ago memory. I was always being told to be-have and once got into trouble when I asked who "Haive" was. I didn't know what the word meant, it sounded like two words to me. That's one of my earliest memories, learning a word the hard way... 'cause naturally everyone assumed I was "sassin' " LOL.
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 9:22am »

on Jun 22nd, 2002, 9:12am, LibertyBelle wrote:
...the word(s) "behave" brought back a long ago memory. I was always being told to be-have and once got into trouble when I asked who "Haive" was. I didn't know what the word meant, it sounded like two words to me. That's one of my earliest memories, learning a word the hard way... 'cause naturally everyone assumed I was "sassin' " LOL.
Our ncog sassin?  never Wink  I know what you mean.  I used to sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as a child and for a long time I thought the last two words of the song were his story.  I didn't realize it was the word history.  Speaking childrenese is important.  So hard not impose our adult values and priorities.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.