Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 6:11am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « What do you know about my COUNTRY? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   What do you know about my COUNTRY?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What do you know about my COUNTRY?  (Read 594 times)
Tootoonchy

Email

What do you know about my COUNTRY?
« on: Jul 11th, 2002, 3:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I 'm really eager to know what do people in other countries think and know about my country Iran
maybe you love it like me  Tongue
maybe you visit it  Smiley
maybe you doesn't know anything about it  Shocked
maybe you never hear its name before  Sad

but write me what you know and think about it
please Wink
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: What do you know about my COUNTRY?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 10:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Most of the things we hear about Iran are negative, unfortunately.  Our President has branded them part of the "Axis of Evil" and we hear a lot about how terrorists come from there, etc.  

However, I grew up next door to an Iranian family as a child, and I knew them to be kind and generous people.  So, while I hear a lot of negative things, because of my personal experience, I don't see the Iranian people as evil or think that you are all terrorists.  I think it's a shame that that general idea is being pushed by the media & government.  There are native terrorists in America too, that doesn't make us an evil people or a country of terrorists, and it shouldn't make Iran that either.
IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 12:40pm »

hey there,

i have an iranian friend who lives in my house...he is great.  he came to canada as a refugee from iran.  he has both good and bad things to say about iran...good things about the people and the culture and bad things about the government.  i would like to visit there myself some day.  

also, there are plenty of good iranian restaurants in vancouver.  Smiley
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 12:47pm »

I think (and this is only my opinion) that most of the negative things I have heard about Iran are about the government. In fact, I can recall a few articles that specifically talked about how the majority of Iranian people are probably somewhat friendly towards us...

I dont know if our government has said anything like "Death to Iran", but I know they have said "Death to America" many times...  

As far as the Axis of Evil... I DO think their goverment is evil. The people? not the ones I know. Thats how I read that statement, but again its only my opinion...

I am sure lots of Americans still have problems over the hostages and other things, so it wouldnt surprise me if some people here would have prejudices against those of Iranian dissent... there are a few bad apples everywhere...

IP Logged

Check out the Watercooler for free discussion of Board Issues! http://pub137.ezboard.com/fthewatercooler46545frm4

east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 12:53pm »

drdan,

Quote:
I DO think their goverment is evil.

and ours aren't?   Wink

IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 12:58pm »

Compare the 2 on human rights, etc....

As the saying goes... Democracy is the worst form over government, except for all others....
IP Logged

Check out the Watercooler for free discussion of Board Issues! http://pub137.ezboard.com/fthewatercooler46545frm4

Tootoonchy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13th, 2002, 8:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you my friends for your messages.

I agree with all of you ,about the people and about the  
government.

I wish I am a good Iranian friend of yours. Tongue
IP Logged
DanDC99
ForumsNet Member

Troublemaker

DanDC99
View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 10:11am »

Here is an article you might be interested in:

http://www.nationalreview.com/ledeen/ledeen071502.asp

Bush vs. the Mullahs  
Getting on the side of the Iranian freedom fighters.  

Late Friday afternoon, when all the newsies were headed for the beach and the bars, President Bush issued a statement on Iran. Unlike the "major media," which had downplayed the monster demonstrations in Isfahan, Tabriz, and Tehran (if they reported them at all) on the ninth, the president not only underlined the historic importance of the Iranian people's ongoing struggle for freedom, but threw America's full support behind the freedom fighters. He again denounced the country's "unelected leaders," and called upon the regime to abandon their "uncompromising, destructive" policies. The president went on to spell out the devastating consequences of the repression: misery for the Iranian people, and a massive exodus of students and professionals to free countries.  

The president's eloquent call for freedom in Iran went largely unreported in this country, but provoked the inevitable firestorm in official Tehran, as Supreme Leader Khamenei fulminated against this "interference in Iranian affairs," and President Khatami, the phony "reformer" who is the darling of the State Department's office of appeasement (a.k.a. policy planning), indulged himself in a tirade against America and lapsed into the blatant lie that everyone in the Iranian government has been duly elected. This is Khatami's reply to the 120-plus "reformist" members of parliament (more than one-third of the total membership) who called upon him to get some real results in a hurry, or else step down.  

Meanwhile, in Isfahan - the epicenter of the anti-regime demonstrations (just as it was the eye of the hurricane that brought down the Shah 23 years ago)-there have been numerous proclamations and rallies in support of the regime's most visible critic, the Ayatollah Montazeri. Montazeri, who has been under house arrest for years, issued a fatwah some weeks ago, denouncing the practice of suicide bombing as sinful, and was praised last week by Ayatollah Taheri, who resigned as Imam of Isfahan and issued the most violent denunciation in the history of the Islamic Republic of the evils of the regime. The mounting support for this aged cleric is yet another sign of the disintegration of the extremist religious tyranny that has wrecked Iran at the same time it has devoted enormous resources to the support of anti-American terrorism.  

Travelers recently returned from Iran tell me heart-rending stories of both material and moral disintegration, of young women driven to prostitution because there are no jobs and there is no future; of young people openly flaunting the strict moral code against sexuality and alcohol, daring the security forces to arrest them; of police and security forces protecting demonstrators against the regime they are paid to protect; of foreigners who do not even speak Farsi being imported to maintain order. It all reminds me of the final days of the Soviet Empire, as the people awaited signs that the Kremlin lacked the will to crack down yet again.  

For this is the only issue now. Tyrannies do not fall simply because they have wrecked the national economy, impoverished the people, and rendered their lives miserable. Tyrannies fall when they no longer use all the instruments of terror to maintain their power, thereby signaling the people that revolt can succeed. The crucial turning point is always in the minds and hearts of the tyrants and the tyrannized, and it cannot be measured by social scientists or intelligence analysts. It can only be smelled by those with noses trained to sense that the rot has set in, and the whole edifice is hollowed out, an empty shell of a regime.  

This is a moment when those who claim to support freedom must embrace the legitimate cause of the Iranian people, the brave Iranians who lit candles to mourn our dead on the eleventh of September, and who lit fires to celebrate the fourth of July with us earlier this month. The president has done this twice, first in his "axis of evil" speech, and now again in honor of the demonstrators. It is important that his not be a lone voice. If Secretary Powell understands the moral and geopolitical stakes in Iran, he must speak out, and he must insist that his friends and admirers in Europe do the same. Alas, this week the European Union is sending a delegation to Tehran to discuss lifting sanctions and reopening full trade. It is a very bad thing to do, and the Iranian people will certainly remember it when their dictators have been removed.  

They will also remember everything that we can do for them now: support for Farsi-language broadcasting, much of it based in Los Angeles and a handful of European cities. Support for some of the representatives of Iranian opposition groups now approaching Western governments, the most important of which speak for Iranian student groups. And surely it must be possible to organize some material assistance to those young Iranians who are being starved and corrupted by this horrid regime.  

Faster, please.  
IP Logged

Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 11:15am »

Salom,  

We have an extended Iranian/Persion "family" and they are very kind people and very loving.  I can count to 10 in Persian (or at least 6 - gee it used to be10 ) and I have a persian book of poems written by one of the greatest Persian poets in history.  
A gift from my persian friends.

I call them my extended family because it started with one person who began to care for my daughter when she was an infant and they have treated her like a member of their family and love her the same.  

There are many Iranians in the Toronto community and my favourite Iranian food is Fessenjoon - (spelled phonetically).  I really enjoy Iranian foods and of course I am a big fan of Pistachio nuts.

One day we are going to visit Iran with our daughter and our friends.  It will be in a few years time and I hope it will be safer then.  

I have learned much about Iranian culture, music, musical instruments and also those who chose to dissent against the regime. It is very sad that people must move away from their homelands in order to have freedom of speech and action.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.