Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:08am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Zap2It TAR Article - Yield, Medical Info, and more »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Amazing Race
   Amazing Race Gossip, News & Recaps
(Moderators: JP, Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Zap2It TAR Article - Yield, Medical Info, and more
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zap2It TAR Article - Yield, Medical Info, and more  (Read 1290 times)
Psycho Pericles
ForumsNet Member
USA 

yo

Psycho+Pericles
View Profile WWW Email

Zap2It TAR Article - Yield, Medical Info, and more
« on: Jun 25th, 2004, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,274|88897|1&# 124;,00.html

Article from Zap2It about the Race...oddly, it says this article is published July 1, yet it's June 25...

Quote:
They're savvy, they're determined and now they're off and running.
Trailing a cloud of road dust and Emmy glamour (as last season's outstanding reality-competition program), "The Amazing Race 5" gets under way on CBS with a special 90-minute premiere on Tuesday, July 6.

As in previous years, the competition sends 11 two-member teams, each with a pre-existing relationship, on a high-intensity race around the world for a $1 million prize.

While previous editions of the Race got off to a fairly genial, even slightly goofy start, this fifth round feels strikingly different, as injuries and hard feelings surface almost right from the Southern California starting line.
"This is by far the most cutthroat season I have seen in terms of how people have played the game, because the teams have worked out where the equalizers are -- airports, say, where the teams tend to stack up -- so they know when they really need to push," says Phil Keoghan, returning for his fifth stint as host.

"This particular season really has an edge to it in terms of the teams we have chosen. They're edgy, engaging characters, contrasting teams that rub one another the wrong way from time to time. We don't look to create a 'perfect holiday' atmosphere, and the players that come into the game now are just much more charged-up and competitive from watching previous seasons."

That's certainly true of Marsha McCoy, the 26-year-old Florida law student who hopes she and her father, Jim, can work as teammates and pull out a victory, although no parent-child team has fared well in previous Races.

"The most important thing is to have mental toughness," she says. "I loved Danny and Oswald from the second Race, because they didn't stress themselves out. They stayed calm and made good decisions. Our big goal is to make as few mistakes as possible, so we don't wind up 30 miles out of the way."

"We both can get an attitude at times, so mainly we've been working on trying to think and work as a team," Jim McCoy adds. "As a military father, I tend to treat her like one of the troops, but this race is a 50-50 proposition, so I am working on being more flexible."

Three of the four previous Races have been won by two-male teams, and the lone exception, in "Amazing Race 3," occurred when Zach Behr all but physically carried his spoiled, petulant girl pal, Flo Pesenti, through much of the competition.

This year's lineup includes no "alpha male" teams, just Dallas restaurant owners Marshall and Lance Hudes, two brothers who are no gym bunnies.

"We are not going to win this race by sprinting," concedes Marshall Hudes, the older brother at 31. "We've seen a lot of very fit people lose this race early on, because they don't think it through and they make a major mistakes. We hope to avoid that. Anyone who doesn't make a major mistake will get at least halfway through."

Other teams include:

Twins Kami and Karli French, 26, of Eugene, Ore.

Colin Guinn, 24, and Christie Woods, 26, a dating couple from Corpus Christi, Texas

Chip and Kim McAllister, 46 and 44 respectively, a married couple from Coto De Caza, Calif

Alison Irwin, 23, a former (and widely loathed by viewers) "Big Brother" house guest, and her browbeaten boyfriend, student Donald Patrick, both Pennsylvanians

Linda Ruiz, 45, and Karen Heins, best friends from Palmdale, Calif.

Dennis Frentsos, 27, of West Nyack, N.Y., and his former fiancee, Erika Shay, 25, of Piermont, N.Y., retesting the romantic waters together

Charla Faddoul, a store manager who has a form of dwarfism, and her cousin, Mirna Hindoyan, both 27-year-old Marylanders

Houston model Brandon Davidson, 25, and his girlfriend, Los Angeles actress Nicole O'Brian, 21

Bob Barron, 61, and Joyce Nicolo, 54, a couple who struck up their acquaintance via the Internet.

"The Amazing Race 5" includes a new feature called "Yield," which allows one team to slow down a competitor. Used shrewdly, it can eliminate a rival team, although that same team can become a bitter and formidable enemy if its members manage to survive elimination despite the Yield.

In addition to that new wrinkle, "Race 5" offers new challenges to its teams in terms of the sheer distances they are forced to travel. "This season was one of the toughest yet," Keoghan says. "We traveled more miles than ever before, about 75,000. Most previous seasons have been around 50,000. To put that into perspective, to go around the equator once is 23,000 miles, so we did the equivalent of looping the world three times, although we were zig-zagging, of course.

"It gets pretty hairy. There were plenty of times when I was racing to get to a pit stop knowing that the teams were racing there at the same time. So far, touch wood, we've managed to stay ahead of them, but I always laugh when people think I must get in some nice shopping and sightseeing on this thing. They don't realize it's very intense and the Race takes place over a pretty short period of time. It's a big adrenaline ride, and even when the teams are sleeping, we're usually continuing to move."

Although "The Amazing Race" consistently draws rave reviews from critics and a loyal cult following among viewers, its ratings have lagged behind less classy fare such as the voyeuristic "Big Brother." Encouraged by that Emmy win, however, CBS already has greenlit "Amazing Race 6" to air during the 2004-05 season.

Keoghan says the fans he meets are so enthusiastic he finds it hard to believe ratings have been somewhat soft.

"Of all the show I've ever done, fans of this show are the nicest and the most enthusiastic," he says. "Frankly, it surprises me that there aren't more people watching the show considering the number of people who come up to me and say such nice things.

"And this, without a doubt, is the strongest Race we've ever done."

IP Logged

- Psychooooooo
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

Re: Zap2It TAR Article - Yield, Medical Info, and
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:01pm »

Sonic printing mistake - meant to be June 1 probably
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

S16: Cirie,Yau-Man! TAR12: Ron/Christina!
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:04pm »

although no parent-child team has fared well in previous Races.  

That is SO not true what about Nancy\Emily? 5th Place (if they didn't cheat 4th or 3rd place maybe)
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:04pm by Acalithos » IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

Psycho Pericles
ForumsNet Member
USA 

yo

Psycho+Pericles
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:57pm »

No...its the first father/daughter team....Nancy and Emily are a Mother/Daughter team

Its not a misprint...Zap2It is having that article be the main article of July 1 and just published it a bit early.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:58pm by Psycho Pericles » IP Logged

- Psychooooooo
Rachel
ForumsNet Member
USA 

"Be that which you expect others to be."

ae_rachel  
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 5:59pm »

so far I'm really liking Jim and Marsha... I don't know why, but I do. Hopefully their determination will take them far
IP Logged

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrafice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
MsWings
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 6:04pm »

Whoever researched and wrote that article should have, by now, be konked on the nogin and sent to the showers.  I just clicked to see if it was changed but it remaines the same.   :dizzy:
IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 12:00pm »

on Jun 25th, 2004, 5:57pm, sonic wrote:
No...its the first father/daughter team....Nancy and Emily are a Mother/Daughter team

What DJ meant was that Nancy and Emily were a parent/child that faired well (if 5th place is good enough. maybe the author's idea of 'faired well' is Top 3).
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2004, 12:01pm by JP » IP Logged
Psycho Pericles
ForumsNet Member
USA 

yo

Psycho+Pericles
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 1:17pm »

Ah, didn't read it carefully enough Roll Eyes
IP Logged

- Psychooooooo
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 4:12pm »

Sonic it does say no parent-child team not father-daughter team
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 2:43am »

Ei... news to the Philippines' thing bout the last two legs...

*SPOLIER EDITED OUT*

Sonic: Yes, a commercial with the final 3 sprinting in the phillipines is kind of media...it is a spolier so please leave it out.

So, these three temas might as well in the Top 4 or Top 3 of the race.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2004, 9:01pm by Psycho Pericles » IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
Acalithos
ForumsNet Member
Australia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 5:50pm »

Maybe but they could be at the start
IP Logged

My Favourite TAR Teams

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.