Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 4:07am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Wacky Wanda Reviews Episode 6 »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Exclusive! - Survivors Speak to ForumsNet
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Wacky Wanda Reviews Episode 6
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wacky Wanda Reviews Episode 6  (Read 1239 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Wacky Wanda Reviews Episode 6
« on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's Wanda's review of Episode 6 of Survivor: Fiji. - MS

"The pot shouldn't call the kettle black!"  It was one of my mother's favorite admonitions in the context of our sibling rivalries.  The expression came to mind at this week's tribal council, but Rocky saying Anthony had no social skills struck me more as the pot calling a silver pitcher black!  Rocky, the bartending high school dropout who was discharged from the Navy, fancies himself up to critiquing the social skills of a Yale graduate.  Right.   Anthony displayed self-control, perspective based on introspection and self knowledge, and class.  Rocky is cocky, out-of-control, boorish and totally lacking in refinement.   To turn around what Leigh Hunt said of Abou Ben Adhem, "May his tribe decrease!"

The worst thing about this debacle was that my former hero Alex fell in with Rocky!  Consider Alex has a degree from Harvard.  We would expect him to sort sense from nonsense, intelligence from ignorance, steadiness from unpredictability, cooperation from arrogance, polish from coarseness.   Alex is respected as the tribe's leader, and he could have been for Anthony what Earl was for him:  a friend and brother who would value Anthony's character and spirit and what he brought to the game.  Had Alex supported Anthony instead of Rocky, the others would have too.  I am totally disappointed in Alex, and from here on, Earl's my man!

The whole fiasco recalled William Golding's Lord of the Flies, in which a group of English schoolboys is stranded on an island.  Our cast:  Anthony plays Piggy -- the smartest of the group, who wears glasses, which symbolize his insight at the same time that they bespeak his bookishness and intelligence.   Alex plays Ralph -- the leader of the good guys until he is defeated by Jack.  Rocky plays Jack -- the angry guy who takes charge and pulls everyone down so that the group reverts from civilization to savagery.   Mookie and Edgardo are Sam 'n' Eric, who shift their alliance to Jack as the balance shifts from good to evil.  Dreamz is Simon, a good guy with a positive outlook who is a bit of an outsider.  
Ah, too bad that Golding's truth has to be played out for us again in Survivor Fiji.  Reminds me of when Nakum in Guatemala voted out Margaret and kept Judd.  Why do we have to keep proving that even educated people cannot be relied upon to handle democracy well?  "Ah judgment, thou art fled to brutish beasts, and men have lost their reason.   Bear with me.  My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar, and I must pause till it come back to me."  (Mark Antony, Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 2, lines 104-107).  Yes, this Tribal Council verdict was terrible!

So let us move on.  What is with this cast?  I cannot let this episode pass without commenting on Lisi.  Now I have some experience with this little situation of being in a pick-up game and not getting picked.   I fully believe, and I trust I am not deceiving myself here, that given 17 days instead of only 2 days prior to the pick-up game, my fate would have been quite different, and that is relevant here too, but the question we can answer for sure is :  How did the pick-up game losers react in Palau vs. Fiji ?  If memory serves me correctly, the gal who went out in Palau called out her love and best wishes to the rest and went off with a smile and a good spirit.  Seems Miss Lisi went off with a temper tantrum.  "I'm an abrasive character!...I was pissed! ... I can't change who I am!"  Wrong.  Abrasive characters can change who they are.  There are things in life like accepting criticism well, being nice to other people, growing up, maturing.  This does involve changing the "bratty little kid" that most of us recognize in ourselves sometime in junior or senior high school.  I remember consciously deciding, at age 14, to change who I was.  Lisi, it's not too late, and I recommend it.  Just grow up.  

Civilization depends on each of us being able to do that.

And finally, a slice of humble pie here.  Okay, raise your hand if you thought pineapples grew on trees.  Thanks, I thought I wasn't the only one.  Pine = tree, right?  Apple = tree, right?  So for fifty some years I thought pineapples grew on trees, like bananas and coconuts.  Well, Survivor Fiji -- and a couple of you astute readers of this column -- taught me that pineapples grow on the ground, on like -- bushes!  How about that!  Just one more reason for Survivor to put me back into the game.  I still have so much to learn!  Teach me!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.