Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 1:02am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « The Racist Remark »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   The Racist Remark
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Racist Remark  (Read 724 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

The Racist Remark
« on: Jan 21st, 2003, 1:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/10 42871103102062.xml

The big headline to come out of a Television Critics Association press tour interview session for "Survivor" is that the next edition of the CBS show, set in the Amazon and scheduled to launch in February, will initially split contestants into tribes by gender, a first for the series.  

But "Survivor" headmaster Mark Burnett and host Jeff Probst also addressed questions about last season's tumultuous finale, in which contestant Ted Rogers Jr., basing his opinion on hearsay heard from fellow loser Helen Glover, essentially charged Monroe restaurateur Clay Jordan with making racist comments about him during the game.  

Jordan missed the $1 million prize by one vote, with both Rogers and Glover voting for winner Brian Heidik, despite Heidik's blatant betrayal of both.  

Though Probst attempted to get at the controversy during the reunion special that followed the final vote, Rogers' allegation still hangs over Jordan, who has, of course, denied it.  

"We looked and we looked and there was no supporting footage" of Rogers' charge, said Burnett.  

Probst was then asked if he believed Jordan said what Rogers said he said.  

"One of the things I asked (Rogers) later was, 'What if Helen had a grudge and she was trying to slam Clay, so she threw out something that wasn't true?' " said Probst. "I think Ted had enough circumstantial evidence from living with Clay that all he needed to hear was, 'And he said this about you.'  

"I don't think it changed his vote. I don't think there was any chance he was voting for Clay anyway."  

But the incident raises the question: Why not sequester the losers from each other once they've been booted from the game?  

Glover's charge against Jordan was evidently made to Rogers post-elimination, while they were recuperating and relaxing at a behind-the-scenes loser camp.  

Keeping booted players from communicating with each other might stop such soreheaded gamesmanship, if that's indeed what happened.  

Too complicated, said Burnett, adding, "Them talking to each other, you can't possibly change."  

Probst did admit that the Glover-Rogers-Jordan contretemps prompted him to warn the "Survivor: Amazon" contestants about casual conversation.  

"Everybody loves gossip," he said. "It's impossible for them to not share stuff, so my comment was, 'You better watch how you behave with these people, because ultimately that's what you're being judged on.' "  

Footnote: A list of "Survivor: Amazon" contestants was released to the critics, and no current Louisiana residents made the cut.  

. . . . . . .  

TV columnist Dave Walker can be reached at [email protected] or (504) 826-3429.  

IP Logged
chickmama
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Eat more Chicken

CarlaW70
View Profile Email

Re: The Racist Remark
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 1:09pm »

We would certainly get a more unbiased final vote if the jury were sequestered.  I'm sure it would be difficult to achieve, but worth the effort. IMO.  
  What does the last paragraph mean?  Are they insinuating that no one was picked from LA, becuase they might be racist?
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 3:53pm »

I think the last line is just because this came from a Louisianna newsaper and they followed Clay weekly last season.
IP Logged
david

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 8:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Lips Sealed No talking thats silly! The entire game has all the tribe members forming aliances breaking them and lieing to each other about who said what to who or about who. Why should this stop after being booted? In fact let it continue if all players know this may happen at offsite losers camp things could get even more interesting! All the tribe members lie we know that and so do they so they can weed out truth adding the factor of jury members spitting out rumors and half truths is just part of the game and can be used during questioning period before final vote and again like a REAL jury let each member cast his or her vote the way they feel right. Did Clay make a racist remark i doubt it! Did Helen lie probably. Would Ted have voted differently who knows either way lies and trickery are part of the game regardless of where you stand in the game. Weather you realize it or not the game is still being played even after the boot. You sit in on Tribal counsel you listen to the lies truths and half truths so you are still in the game! And thats my take whats yours?
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 10:35pm »

Well, when Clay asked Helen later about it, she told him with sincerity that she wasn't sure what Ted was talking about.  I think Ted may have misinterpreted something and run with it another direction.  I'm not certain Helen deliberately lied to him - she just doesn't strike me as the type to go quite that far.

On the other hand I fully agree with what you are saying here.  Why does the outwitting and outplaying have to stop when you are on the jury? If someone tricked me into getting kicked off, I sure as well would want to strike back at them and try to make sure they didn't take home the million.  :devilish:
IP Logged
david

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 7:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes just let the game be played in and out of camp! But I truly believe Helen did lie rmember she was furious about being booted even at reunion she still was clearly very very angry! :furious: So with her being as furoius as she was I can see her lieing to swing votes she can even tell Brian you backstabbing SOB if it wasnt for me you would have lost! But regardless Helen commited the mistake of trust you cant do that in this game! My opinon is this keep a low profile! Most players with "Low Profiles" go the furthest examples Tina,Jan,Nelah (for awhile anyway) Passchal etc etc. The only other way to go far is to win amunity. After that the only way to get anywhere is deciet and that will blow up in your face sooner or later. Helen forgot she backstabbed a few including TED! So Helen played the game even after being booted it is a shame she took it to the level she did though that was going too far. Either way being on the Jury still places you in the game therfore the talking lies rumors etc continue as new members of the jury come on they tell of happenings in camp and this will swings votes on final vote let the GAMES continue!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.