Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 12:32am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « RNO Interview with Lydia »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   RNO Interview with Lydia
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RNO Interview with Lydia  (Read 324 times)
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

RNO Interview with Lydia
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

“The Final Four Is Ultimately Where I Was Destined to Stay”: An Interview with Survivor: Guatemala’s Lydia  
by David Bloomberg -- 12/12/2005  

Lydia was perhaps the most well-liked contestant this season, both by fans and by her fellow Survivors. Does she think she could have turned that into a win somehow, or did she go as far as she could? How did she make it that far? And why did her fellow players look up to her? Lydia answers these and many other questions in this interview with RealityNewsOnline.  

Lydia may have been the most positive person ever to play Survivor, and she did it in probably the most challenging season to date. In this interview with RealityNewsOnline, she explains how she used that positivity to her advantage. Read on for al the details.

RealityNewsOnline:Hello, Lydia.

Lydia: Good morning!

RNO: I have some questions for you from RealityNewsOnline. We’ll start at the beginning – did you realize at the time just how close you came to being voted out at the very beginning of the game?  

Lydia: Absolutely. As a matter of fact, it was almost like there weren’t any secrets in the tribe. Word was getting around. It was supposed to be Stephenie first, then everything changed and I felt almost bamboozled because we had a plan. Before you knew it, I was a target. Thank goodness I had Jamie and Brian, who came to my aid to help me out of that one.  

RNO: Coming into the game, what was your original strategy and how did it change along the way?  

Lydia: When I first started, I always wanted to be a provided for all the tribe, with everything I cooked, food, shelter I helped make, a clean camp, and my votes. Whoever wanted my vote, I would be there for them working the numbers. I strategized that way and pretty much did what I intended throughout the whole game. There were so many twists and turns but I managed to stay low and do what I came in for.  

RNO: Did you feel the deck was stacked against you with so many difficult physical challenges?  

Lydia: Absolutely. Not only that, there were a lot of really good athletic competitive people in our tribe, so I felt I was always not secure with my position. I felt like my head was always on chopping block. I wanted to stay positive and focused. Athleticism is not my strong point and the challenges were so hard. What I really had going for me was the strategy of being a provider.  

RNO: Do you feel that your actions in the reward challenge where you took out Stephenie’s pots might have led to your ultimate exclusion from an alliance with her and Rafe? Or would that have occurred anyway?  

Lydia: Honestly, that would have occurred anyway. I don’t think I did it in an ill manner. When I was breaking the pots, I expressed I was hungry and wanted to win. She understood and it was all good. But she had a really tight alliance with Rafe from the very first day. There was no way to break that. All I wanted was to get some food, and there were no hard feelings.  

RNO: Each week, it seemed certain that you would be leaving, but you kept sticking around. How did you do it?  

Lydia: The way I feel is not only did I provide, but I was much more. In a game this physically demanding, you need something else. I came in as a mother, with a kindred spirit and positive attitude. When somebody was down and out, I’d uplift their spirit. I was singing and dancing and making it a positive place to live. Everybody saw that. You have to push yourself and want to stick around. I did it by being myself – what you saw is exactly what I am. I was there for everybody. When it came down to numbers, Stephenie needed me to vote off the people she needed gone. She kept me along. We used each other in a positive sense.  

RNO: Any regrets about eating the chicken?  

Lydia: Absolutely. In my heart I knew it was a wrong thing to do. I have a lot of morals and values and integrity. But when we were standing there watching them sacrifice that chicken, Stephenie was smacking her lips and kept asking me to ask them if we could ultimately eat it. Of course he said it’s sacrificial. You have to respect the culture and beliefs. Being 42 years old, I know better than that. What can I say? I didn’t really feel the need to eat it but I went along with the tribe. If I had to do it over again, I would not have done it.  

RNO: What do you think were your most important moves in the game?  

Lydia: Just for me to be positive. Being positive on a regular basis, people like to be around positive influences. When you’re positive, everything comes in your favor.  

RNO: How willing were you to turn on your own allies if it meant getting farther in the game?  

Lydia: I did turn on Jamie. He was there with me in the very beginning, through thick and thin. He was with me with in an alliance since day one. that day was the most difficult day for me. When I voted against him, I felt like I didn’t want to be in the game anymore. I felt so bad to betray him. But I had to put that aside and say we’re playing a game. Probably he’d have done that to me too. It’s a difficult game. First there are the phys challenges, but then there’s the mind game, and that mind game really hurts. That’s the part I don’t like about this, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get to the top.

RNO: Speaking of getting to the top, what do you think you could have done differently to get you to the final two and maybe even win?  

Lydia: That’s a very good question, but I think the final four is ultimately where I was destined to stay. Steph and Rafe had such a strong alliance – no way anybody could have broke that. Then Danni came into he picture and made that alliance with Rafe. No way I could have broke it, they all told me no way. I was destined to be third runner up. I’m happy with where I was at. Final four – I was the underdog, for me to get where I was is a blessing. I’m honored.  

RNO: What made you vote for Danni to win?  

Lydia: When we merged and Danni came into the game, slowly all of her original tribe people disappeared one by one. I started to watch Danni and she reminded me sort of myself. She came in as an underdog and she didn’t have any alliances at the time because they were being voted off. She never felt secure in her position, like me. She was standing on her own. She was in a difficult situation where everything was new. She stood on her own and endured every physical challenge and hung in there with positiveness, never stabbed anybody in the back, and was very well-liked. Taking a step back and watching her, I really admired that. I saw myself. So I knew if she was in the final two, I would definitely vote for her. She played well and tough and with good moral values. She’s a good example.  

RNO: If Rafe had faced Danni in the final two, would your vote have gone for him or still for Danni?  

Lydia: I would have definitely voted for Danni. The way I felt about her and what she achieved truly stands out. I love Rafe to death, but she played a very good game. My hat’s off to her.  

RNO: Do you think you could have won the game? If so, against whom?  

Lydia: If I were up against Stephenie, I think I would have won. She had too many enemies on the jury. I brought a lot of positiveness. I never did anybody wrong or stabbed anybody in the back or talked negatively about anybody.  

RNO: Rafe told me that the other players were inspired by you and what you’ve overcome in life. Could you share some of that with us?  

Lydia: Being a single parent, raising a 17-year-old son on my own, there were a lot of obstacles. It’s difficult in today’s day and age to do that. That’s probably what he was referring to. A lot of people looked up to me. My son is a very good, humble young man and I’m so proud of him and he’s proud of me. We have a really good mother/son relationshp. I’m honored and happy that my teammate would look at me that way.  

RNO: Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your time on Survivor?  

Lydia: I would like to share with you that when you play a game this demanding and difficult, you always have to believe in yourself to never give up. There are some things that are very difficult to achieve, but you have to have a mental strength to say never give up and never regret it. Do everything you can in a positive fashion and with morals and values, and it’ll always come out good.

IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

Re: RNO Interview with Lydia
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

:clap: Good interview! Cheesy
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.