Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 6:22am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « clean up on the way? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   clean up on the way?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: clean up on the way?  (Read 2476 times)
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

clean up on the way?
« on: Jul 11th, 2002, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i can only imagine how happy this will make many feel... Cool

Cleanup of Toronto could start Friday as deal on back-to-work bill reached

COLIN PERKEL  
Canadian Press  

Thursday, July 11, 2002

(TORONTO (CP) - The Ontario government was poised to pass back-to-work legislation Thursday that would put an end to a strike by garbage workers that has left parts of the city under mounds of trash. All three political parties agreed to details of the bill shortly before it was to be introduced in the legislature during a rare summer sitting.  

"I have every reason to believe verbally that we probably have a deal," said Premier Ernie Eves. "It remains to be seen." The provincial New Democrats had initially threatened to delay the bill for up to three weeks, but ultimately said they would support it. "We've got a good process," said NDP Leader Howard Hampton.  

The opposition Liberals also expressed support, meaning that 24,000 garbage and other workers would be back on the job immediately.  

"It will mean that we can pass the legislation today and people can be back to work tomorrow," Eves said.  

The bill includes the names of three arbitrators who would be called in to decide the dispute between the city and the workers if the two sides fail to agree on an arbitrator among themselves.  

"We've got three arbitrator-mediators I don't think anyone could disagree with," said Hampton, who said they were all widely respected in the world of labour relations.  

If the New Democrats had delayed the bill, garbage might have remained on the streets during a papal visit later this month.  

Following a caucus meeting Thursday, Hampton insisted his party was only trying to ensure striking union members were treated fairly when it comes to appointment of an arbitrator.  

Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty had denounced the NDP position.  

"It doesn't make any sense," said McGuinty.  

In a letter Thursday, McGuinty called on Eves to get involved in the dispute personally.  

"Our failure to resolve this now prolongs the risk to public health," McGuinty wrote.  

"We can both remove the risk . . . and provide a fair settlement process."  

Eves called the legislature back after the province's medical officer of health warned late Tuesday that a potential health hazard existed from the garbage.  

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2002, 9:32pm by east » IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

Re: clean up on the way?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2002, 10:55pm »

I have my fingers crossed for all of you in Toronto, I hope this ends soon.  The smell must be horrendous.
IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: clean up on the way?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 9:41am »

Surprisingly I was affected very little.  We were fortunate to be able to pass a couple weeks worth of garbage on to my inlaws.  You really have to love inlaws that will take your garbage.   :love:

Then we have been on vacation a fair bit.  We had been planning to leave as much packaging and recyclables as possible in the hotel in Sudbury but then saw news of the strike being over.

The best part is that the other outdoor workers are also back on the job and that means community swimming pools and camps and daycare workers are back on the job today.  Keep in mind that they were legislated back to work and may not be very happy.

Still with temperatures soaring to 34 or 35 degrees Celcius this week it will be welcomed.  

We learned about the rat life cycle and how they can reproduce in 40 days in these ideal well fed and hot conditions.  Also we have the pope coming to Toronto for world youth day with 325,000 people expected to the city this coming weekend.  The Government had no choice but to legislate it to an end because they need a week to clean up before nearly half a million people arrive.  It will be a crazy place this weekend to get around the city.  

for me it was only one night driving downtown in a taxi that I could smell the garbage as the driver did not have air con and it was quite a memory.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.