Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:10pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Board says surgery halted for bank trip »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Board says surgery halted for bank trip
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Board says surgery halted for bank trip  (Read 903 times)
Roo94
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Board says surgery halted for bank trip
« on: Aug 8th, 2002, 7:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How nutso is this Huh?

Doctor suspended for leaving patient

By Anne Barnard, Globe Staff, 8/8/2002

The patient was on his stomach, anesthetized, with an open incision in his back. Six hours into spinal surgery, according to the state medical board, the surgeon told the operating staff at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge that he needed to ''step out.''  

Then, the board said, Dr. David C. Arndt went to Harvard Square to deposit a paycheck.

Arndt hitched a ride with a sales representative from a medical device company, the board alleges, leaving nurses and anesthesiologists wondering where he was and when he would be back. He returned around 35 minutes later and completed the surgery, the board alleges.

The Board of Registration in Medicine yesterday suspended Arndt's medical license pending further investigation, calling him ''an immediate and serious threat to the health, safety, and welfare of the public.''

In the July 10 operation, the patient was unharmed, but the board contends that Arndt's absence placed the man at risk.

The alleged incident appears to be one of the most unusual and blatant cases of ''patient abandonment'' to come before the board.

''I've never seen anything quite like this,'' said Nancy Achin Sullivan, the board's executive director.

The medical board investigates many allegations of patient abandonment, said Sullivan, but they typically involve what she called ''inartful termination of the doctor-patient relationship'' - situations where patients feel the doctor did not properly conclude a consultation or refer them to another physician. She could not recall a case of a doctor leaving a patient on the operating table.

An attending anesthesiologist immediately notified Mount Auburn officials, and operating room staff told Arndt they were upset. Mount Auburn suspended Arndt and reported the incident to the board.

Arndt, 45, has the right to appeal the board's suspension and to present evidence at a board hearing on the incident, after which the board will issue a ruling. Neither Arndt nor his lawyer, Claudia Hunter, could be reached yesterday.

An orthopedic surgeon, Arndt is a 1992 graduate of Harvard Medical School. He has operating privileges at some of the largest hospitals in the state, including Brigham and Women's, Beth Israel Deaconess, New England Baptist, and Newton-Wellesley.

According to the allegations, Arndt initially seemed ''surprised'' that the anesthesiologist was upset by his absence, and explained that he had to get to the bank before it closed because he was in ''a financial crisis'' and had to pay overdue bills. But on Tuesday, he told the board's investigator that he regretted his actions and had ''exercised remarkably horrible judgment.''

Arndt has practiced since 1998 at Mount Auburn. He had no prior record of discipline there, according to a hospital spokeswoman. He is also licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana.

The board's allegations, culled from a board investigator's interviews with operating room staff and other hospital employees, portray an unusual chain of events: The patient was anesthetized for spinal fusion surgery at around 9:20 a.m. The first incision was made around 11 a.m. During the surgery, Arndt several times asked a nurse to call his office in Wellesley to see if his paycheck had arrived.

At around 5:30 p.m., when the surgery was about three-quarters completed, a general orthopedic surgeon headed to the operating area to perform surgery on another patient.

On the way, a woman handed that surgeon an envelope for Arndt, which contained his paycheck. The surgeon stepped into Arndt's operating room with the envelope, and Arndt asked him to wait there for five minutes while he took a break. The surgeon told the board he assumed Arndt was going to the bathroom.

Arndt then left the hospital with the sales representative, who had been in and out of the operating room during the surgery. The sales representative told the board they drove from the hospital on Mount Auburn Street in Cambridge to a bank in Harvard Square, approximately a mile away.

While he was gone, Arndt failed to answer several pages. The general surgeon he had asked to wait was not credentialed to perform spinal fusion surgery and was not scrubbed in. Nurses and the anesthesiologist summoned supervisors, and soon the chief of anesthesia, the chief of orthopedics, and the chief of surgery were consulted.

They decided to wait for Arndt and agreed not to mention the incident until he had completed the procedure. He returned after about 35 minutes, according to the board, and completed the operation about two hours later.

Arndt later explained he had thought the surgery would be over before the bank closed at 7 p.m., but that the operation was taking longer than he had expected. He also told the board he had left his outside pager number at the hospital desk; according to the hospital's internal suspension memo, employees assumed he was in the building and used the in-house paging system.

When Arndt returned, he asked a surgical technician if she was angry with him, she told the board. She answered, ''I would not want you to leave my mother on the table.''

IP Logged
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

Welcome Home Stanley! Hockeytown Loves YOU!

View Profile

Re: Board says surgery halted for bank trip
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 10:53am »

This is just insane, I dont even have any words to put what I feel about this doctor into perspective!  I am glad that the other staff members reported him and that the hospital escalated it appropriately.  Too often, we hear about hospitals who try to "mums the word" to avoid potential lawsuits.

This sort of thing needs harsh repercussions, sounds like the doctor lacks complete common sense.
IP Logged

Now this looks like a job for Detroit,
So everyone, just follow Steve,
'Cause we need another cup, can't you see,
'Cause it feels so empty without Stanley!

Hockeytown - Home of the Detroit Red Wings
*Go Wings Go*
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 1:58pm »

on Aug 8th, 2002, 7:54am, Roo94 wrote:
How nutso is this Huh?

Doctor suspended for leaving patient...When Arndt returned, he asked a surgical technician if she was angry with him, she told the board. She answered, ''I would not want you to leave my mother on the table.''

How ironic  that the deposit of his LAST paycheque was made so memorable.  Now he will really have some overdue bills.  Yes that was very horrible judgment.  The Technician's answer was pretty straightforward.  I think I would have had a few other choice words.  
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 3:02pm »

My father walked out on his dr. recently.  This story reminds me of it.  He went in to the hospital outpatient center at 9:00am when he was scheduled to be there.  By 10:30 he'd been sitting alone in a gown never having seen the dr. the whole time.  Finally a nurse came in, to get something and he asked her when the dr. was going to get there and she told him that the dr. had patients to see and was busy now and would be back when he was done, sometime around 5:30 pm.  So, my dad stood up and started putting his clothes on. She asked him in a snotty tone what he was doing, and he turned around and said, "Let me tell you something, *my time* is valuable too.  In order to come here, I have to schedule time off work, I have to cancel appointments, I have to lose a sick day. This costs me money.  I was scheduled at 9:00 am, and I'm not going to sit here alone in a room all day and miss work because the dr. has decided he's too busy for me for me after all.  You tell him he can give me a call when he's ready to see me for real." and with that, walked out.   Cool
IP Logged
Kramer
ForumsNet Member

Welcome Home Stanley! Hockeytown Loves YOU!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 3:33pm »

Way to go Rhune's dad!

Im sorry to hear that he waited as long as he did.  I worked for a neurosurgeon when I was in college, he would schedule patients in his office from 8am to 4pm, yet he wouldn't even show up until 2pm!  His patients were always mad, unfortunately they let me know how mad they were and not the doctor.  I don't blame them, but I was powerless to control him outside of the office.

I was hoping his conscience would eventually kick in. It never did, but mine finally gave way, I had to quit, I couldn't take the constant stress level it created any longer.

What a prick.
IP Logged

Now this looks like a job for Detroit,
So everyone, just follow Steve,
'Cause we need another cup, can't you see,
'Cause it feels so empty without Stanley!

Hockeytown - Home of the Detroit Red Wings
*Go Wings Go*
Roo94
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 7:28am »

Rhune - good for your dad!  I give him a lot of credit for standing up for himself!!

Kramer - smart move to quit.  Sounds like you worked for a real jerk.

As for the doctor who went to the bank - today's Globe said that he is going to appeal the suspension of his Medical License.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.