Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:42pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Fla »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Fla
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Fla  (Read 1151 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Fla
« on: May 6th, 2010, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo

FOXNews.com

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.

"They said we were starting a fight," Dariano told the newspaper. "We were fuel to the fire."

The boys told Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden that turning their shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents decided to take them home, the newspaper reports.

"I just couldn't believe it," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mother, told the newspaper. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

Galli told NBC Bay Area, "They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it."

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Morgan Hill Unified School District said it did not agree with the school's actions.

"In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today," the statement read. "The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Attempts to reach school officials early Thursday were not successful. A secretary told the Morgan Hill Times that Boden and Rodriguez were unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

According to its website, Live Oak High School is a 1,300-student institution in the southern part of Santa Clara County, with most students residing in the nearby cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose.

"The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community," the website reads.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing the colors of the Mexican flag -- red, white and green -- as they left school, including some who had the flag painted on their faces or arms, the Morgan Hill times reported.

While bandannas of any color are banned at the school, its dress code policy does not contain references to American flags.

"However, any clothing or decoration which detracts from the learning environment is prohibited," the policy reads. "The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride.

"There was a lot of drama going on today," Ponce told the newspaper.

Some other Mexican-American students reportedly said their flags were taken away or asked to be put away, but no other students were sent home on Wednesday.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said the incident appears to a "blatant" violation of the students' First Amendment right to free speech. She noted that inciting violence is an exception to a First Amendment legal defense, but Wiehl said she saw no indications that the students provoked anyone.

"Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a blatant violation of the First Amendment," said Wiehl, adding that uniforms are not required at the public school. "And they're wearing, of all horrific things, the American flag."

FoxNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.
IP Logged
lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2010, 6:28am »

Yes, I read about this.   I'm surprised those kids didn't get thrown in jail for wearing the American flag.   Roll Eyes
Give it a few more years...
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2010, 9:24am »

California . . . . the GRANOLA State . . . . (Land of Fruits, Nuts & Flakes)

When I read this in the papers, I was a little "steamed" . . .
 :stunned: :speechless: :steamed: :furious: :scream: :mutter:

The Doctors say I will be able to get out of the Hospital in a couple of days . . .  

. . . . as soon as my Blood Pressure comes down!!

What the hell happened to patriotism, respect and common sense??
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2010, 10:33am »

Yeah, I posted it because I felt the same way.  It's ridiculous that they would have been sent home for that.  This *IS* America after all. Now, if the boys were physically getting up in people's faces with it and deliberately trying to fights over it, then that would be another story.  That wouldn't have been showing patriotism, that would be hypocritically using the flag as a tool to act like a bully.  I did not get from this story that was what they were doing at all.
IP Logged
rainahuang
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2017, 3:18am »

Heart And Soul Bonds Wholesale Ugg Boots
Our lives are greeted by different types of relationships. Some fun, some cozy and intimate, some crazy and adventurous, some inseparable. Nevertheless, new balance pas cherthere are also other type of connections, moncler saldi which transcend these. adidas chaussures These are the heart and soul bonds. Scarpe nike uomoOne does not need to talk or exchange messages but still there is a knowing or a feeling of the other person. pandora jewelry Here the channels of heart and soul connection are alive. louboutin pas cher chine
We have all experienced this at some moments in life. UGG bottes FemmeLike when you are wishing to eat a special dish and without saying a word your mother/father/housemate makes it for you. When you have suddenly thought of a friend and felt as though she was not ok nice adidas shoes and you call to say hi, you discover she is going through a tough patch. Wholesale Ugg BootsThe electricity you feel running through your body when you connect with someone so profoundly. scarpe nike runningThe time when you meet someone in your dreams and it feels so real. When you look deeply into someone's eyes and you just know their true essence.  Wholesale Ugg BootsWhen your spouse has a stomachache and u can feel the sympathy pain.  new balance saleWhen you think of someone and then suddenly they call you unexpectedly and you say “Hey! I was just thinking of you!” When you are thinking about something and the next moment your friend talks about the same thing - almost completing your statements. Nike Air Max new balance femme
We share them with a few people in our lives; we can actually share them with more. It sounds ridiculous. However, it exists for each one of us.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.