Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 5:17am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Summer Travels »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   The Grapevine
(Moderators: Heather, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Summer Travels
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summer Travels  (Read 2251 times)
Roo94
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

Re: Summer Travels
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

:wave:

Hello All!

It's been a while.  MrRoo, Little Roo and I spent a week on Cape Cod and I spent the next week trying to catch up on things at work!

The cape was wonderful - nice, sunny weather, good beach days.  :sunny: Good dinners out.  Had some family members staying nearby so LittleRoo had lots of time to play with cousins and MrRoo and I had a few chances to go out alone.  Played some  :golf:,  and basically just  :chilpill:.

I love vacation.  Would like to be on one all the time - but then if that were the case, would I appreciate it as muchHuh

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2002, 10:18am by Roo94 » IP Logged
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 10:41am »

on Jul 31st, 2002, 10:10am, Roo94 wrote:

I love vacation.  Would like to be on one all the time - but then if that were the case, would I appreciate it as muchHuh

I would! I'd just "vacation" someplace I loved until it began to feel familiar, then I'd move on to the next "vacation" place.  Grin  And Cape Cod sounds a good place to begin the process! I've been up the east coast more than once, but somehow never made it there.  
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 11:05am »

on Jul 31st, 2002, 6:47am, Kramer wrote:

If you can think of anything more to add, please, I would love to hear all about it!

It was getting late last night when I posted and this morning I remembered that I failed to mention one of the most important things about the Outer Banks.  LIGHTHOUSES....................lots and lots of lighthouses and they are wonderful.

Also, if you are staying in Waves, you'll probably want to check out the Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station in Rodanthe (Rodanthe is the town just north of Waves).

I have not heard of the wild pony tour, but that sounds fun.  I know there is a wild pony pen on Ocracoke, those are the only ones we have ever seen.  You'll have to let me know how the tour goes.

As far as the bicycles are concerned, I don't know what to tell you.  I am not that familiar with the Waves area.  Highway 12 is very busy, but there are usually some bikers using it.  You may be able to ride them in the area around your house.  My youngest daughter is a runner and I know she has a problem finding a place to run while we are there.  She doesn't like to run on the beach because it is difficult to run in the sand.  I have seen lots of bicycles on Ocracoke.  You'll just have to use your own judgement on that issue.

IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
dobiew
ForumsNet Member

dobiew
View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 8:34am »

:wave: hi all.. all these vacations sound great! we leave sunday for virginia beach.. ( 7 hours in the car with a 4 year old  :yikes: ) we have been there before and my 4 year old loves it so back we are going! :tup:  if we plan better, next year we would like to go to the outer banks.. my daughter was there and just loved it  :heart: i am just hoping we have good beach days.. it seems everytime we plan a vacation we get  a week of lousy weather   :worried:
IP Logged
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 11:33am »

Dobie! How great to see you!  :wave:

I liked Virginia Beach, it's very different from the Gulf coast. I liked the boardwalk there, it makes for easy walking, and we don't see those at "our" beaches.
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
dobiew
ForumsNet Member

dobiew
View Profile

« Reply #20 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:17pm »

on Aug 1st, 2002, 11:33am, LibertyBelle wrote:
Dobie! How great to see you!  :wave:

I liked Virginia Beach, it's very different from the Gulf coast. I liked the boardwalk there, it makes for easy walking, and we don't see those at "our" beaches.  

great seeing you too  :sunny:  ... yea i love the boardwalk there.. that's what my 4 year old loves the best ( besides the ocean).. he loves to just walk up and down the boardwalk and just take in all the sights..  so much better than the Ocean City Maryland boardwalks where the trolley goes up and down the boardwalk and keeps beeping at the walkers to get off the boardwalk Undecided... the only thing is that virginia beach is a bit congested ... that is why we are considering the outer banks next year...
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:19pm by dobiew » IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 2:28pm »

Hey Dobie!
Glad to hear that you are headed to Virginia Beach.  On your way through town (Richmond) on Interstate 64 on the way to the Beach,  :wave: when you go past the Interstate 295 & Interstate 64 intersection, you're only a couple of miles from me!

If you have time during your stay, you ought to take a short drive over to Norfolk and check out the maritime museum, Nauticus.  Also the Norfolk Navel Shipyard.  On most weekends they usually open up at least one of the U.S. Navy ships for tours.  The water taxi tours of the harbor are great also.  You can see a lot of the ships that way.  If I'm not mistaken, there are at least two carriers in port at this time.

On your way down (or back) is Langley Air Force Base in Hampton.  They have a pretty neat static display of various vintage aircraft right at the front gate.  One of them is a B-52G Bomber  (#601) which I actually flew on during my Air Force days back in the 60's.

Colonial Williamsburg is another popular destination, only about an hour's drive from Va. Beach.  Lots of history type things to do along with a huge waterpark and Busch Gardens.

As for dining at Va Beach, don't miss the LIGHTHOUSE Restaurant right next to Rudee Inlett at the south end of the beach for GREAT seafood at a good price.  

Hope you have a great vacation.  It's been hot as hell here in central Virginia with slim chance of rain in sight.  Definitely beach weather!
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
dobiew
ForumsNet Member

dobiew
View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 10:29pm »

hey bump.. you bet i'll :wave: when i go by!  Grin i had no clue you lived in virginia.. it is a beautiful state.. my hubby lived in norfolk for a bit when he was in the navy.. he loves going back to the beach there and thinking about the good ole days Roll Eyes thanks for all the tips about what we can do when we are there.. i'm printing out the page and bringing it with us    Grin we are staying in a motel on the boardwalk so it should not be far from the lighthouse ..yummy can't wait :sunny:
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2002, 10:30pm by dobiew » IP Logged
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 10:41pm »

Dobie, there's also the historic site of Jamestown, and also a reconstruction site as well. There isn't much left at the real Jamestown (the church is there!) but when I was there, there were people who told you about it and maps of where things had been. One thing that amazed me is how much the river has moved! It has actually "eaten" part of the original site. Wild. The reconstruction site is fun for kids. They do little acts and such.
IP Logged

~ George Harrison ~
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:15am »

on Aug 1st, 2002, 10:41pm, LibertyBelle wrote:
Dobie, there's also the historic site of Jamestown, and also a reconstruction site as well. There isn't much left at the real Jamestown (the church is there!) but when I was there, there were people who told you about it and maps of where things had been. One thing that amazed me is how much the river has moved! It has actually "eaten" part of the original site. Wild. The reconstruction site is fun for kids. They do little acts and such.

Coggy, it HAS been almost 400 years, you know.   Grin  . . . things do shift around!   Roll Eyes
. . . .and another thing.  I want to know why you didn't let me know that you were passing through the area!!   :huh:  Williamsburg and Jamestown are only about 30 minutes east of me!  We could have met for a mint juliup at one of the Colonial Williamsburg Taverns! Grin

That Jamestown settlement site and the interpertive Exhibit site are going to be getting a complete overhaul for the 400 year Celebration of the founding of Jamestown in 2007.  Lots of archelogical digging still going on there and also they will be rebuilding a portion of the original fort on the original site.  You are correct, half of the original fort site now is in the water.
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:35am »

Bump, I didn't know you then.  Cry  If we ever get back, be sure you'll get a PM!  :wave:

It was several years ago that we visited that area, but I remember being much more interested in Jamestown than in Williamsburg. The archeologists were there then too, and were friendly and willing to chat with us about what they were doing. Course I'm a history buff, so there you go LOL. Williamsburg was a bit more "touristy" to me, but worth the visit. The kids will like it cause all the people who work there dress period and speak "early religious colonies" LOL. Also, lots of buildings at Williamsburg remain and are open for visitors to tour.
IP Logged

~ George Harrison ~
dobiew
ForumsNet Member

dobiew
View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:07pm »

thanks for the info coggy.. i will have to tell the hubby about it.. hopefully we will get a chance to check it out.. still crossing my fingers that we don't get any rain :crossfingers:  looking for great sunny days  :sunny:
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 1:01pm »

Well, here it is August 15th and no word from Dobie.  I know she must be getting her fill of sun and dry weather down at Va. Beach.  There has been no measurable rain around central Virginia for over three weeks, the temps have been in the upper 90's and the sun has been brutal!!  Just what the tourists love!

From the looks of the crowd out on the Interstate, there must have been about a zillion others down there with the same idea as Dobie.
Hope you had a good time Dobie!  :wave:
IP Logged

dobiew
ForumsNet Member

dobiew
View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 2:16pm »

hey bump  :wave:.. just got back!  yes very nice nice weather :sunny:  fun times for all  :golf:  couldn't have asked for a nicer vacation.. they did a nice job with the boardwalk.. looks like the beaches were widened a bit.. and it really wasn't that crowded! got a bite to eat at the lighthouse..  yummy :chef:  checked out some of the navy ships too.. awesome.. the trip down was long.. hit some major traffic at the DC beltway.. we were stopped in traffic more than an hour.. then my brand new car ( has only 1000 miles) started acting up.. :steamed: everytime we would step on the gas ( while in traffic on the beltway) it would act like it would stall.. that lasted about 1/2 hour and then it was fine.. the car has been fine since.. i am wondering if we got bad gas or something.. cause it hasn't done it since.. but the great vacation made up for all the traffic! :tup: i did manage to get sunburn and my eyes ended up swelled as did my neck :freak:.. next time a higher sunscreen is in order.. just need to add that waves were awesome! there was one day where the riptides were bad and we weren't allowed in past out ankles but besides that it was so much fun!! Grin
IP Logged
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 10:42pm »

I didn't think to recommend it until after you had probably gone Dobie, but I hope you sampled the SheCrab Soup at the Lighthouse!  

Glad to hear that you guys had a good vacation!  The beach replentishment project and new boardwalk was a major accomplishment for Va. Beach.  Tripled the size of the beach.  Uncle Sam finally figured out that it was cheaper to get on board with the City and help them maintain the beach/coastline instead of having FEMA pay to completely rebuild when there is a natural disaster.  Not to say disaster couldn't still happen, but having that large a beach sure does help as a buffer.  

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Virginia! :tup:

IP Logged

Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.