Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 19th, 2024, 8:58am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Interview with JJ Abrams »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Lost
(Moderators: yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Interview with JJ Abrams
No topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interview with JJ Abrams  (Read 1676 times)
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Interview with JJ Abrams
« on: Jun 6th, 2005, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's an older interview about the show - but some of his answers are interesting - and like everything else connected to this show - it seems the more answers you get, the more questions you have... :confused:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue387/interview3.html

J.J. Abrams made his television debut in 1998 with Felicity, a drama centered around a young girl (played by Keri Russell) who follows her high-school crush to college and finds herself along the way. In its first season on The WB, the show was a critical success and a hit with the network's core audience of young women. But in subsequent seasons, Abrams became frustrated with the limitations of the storylines. He famously mused that if Felicity only had a secret double life as a CIA agent, there would be a lot more story to tell.

Thus the idea for Abrams' next show, Alias, was born. Alias stars Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow, a CIA agent whose personal life is often more complicated than her professional one. The show, which returns in January for a fourth season, made a star out of Garner and a bankable commodity out of Abrams.

Now, with two hit shows on his resume, Abrams embarks on his third venture into series television. Lost begins with the survivors of a plane crash struggling to make sense of their new environment and find a way off a mysterious island. Its large cast includes Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Terry O'Quinn and Dominic Monaghan. The pilot episode airs Wednesday, Sept. 22, at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Abrams recently spoke with Science Fiction Weekly about his new show and the mysteries that will unfold over the course of the season.
---
This show pretty much defies categorization. What genre would you say it fits in?

Abrams: My favorite thing about the show and about the island is it isn't one thing. It isn't one thing. The island is one thing, but what has happened there over time cannot be explained.
---
Do you know what the mystery of the island is?

Abrams: We know a lot of what's going to happen, but as you go it starts to sort of become clear what it needs to be. You have to respect it as much as you want it to respect you. I swear to God, I know it sounds nuts, but it's sort of this relationship you have between this living, breathing story and the creative intent to make it. And you kind of have to have a dialogue with it.
---
Will you be providing clues as the story unfolds?

Abrams: There's a lot of things that are so subtextual. Like, if you're watching a scene, you'd never know that that's going to mean something. We do that because when you talk about stuff and it becomes deeper, through osmosis, scenes that are about one thing or two or three things can become about a dozen different things.

For example, if you're watching episode five and you see the story that we're telling, you can look back and go, "Oh, that's why that character had that attitude." You know what I mean? The monster, for example, when we start to get into sort of what that is, my goal is that you feel like that's what was happening, rather than it being arbitrary.
---
On Alias you have the recurring number 47. Are you doing anything like that on the show?

Abrams: Did you notice it in this show too? With the pilot?
---
Speaking of the pilot, I noticed you cast your longtime friend Greg Grunberg, who also appeared in Felicity and Alias, in a cameo role for this.

Abrams: I know. He insists on being in everything I do, so I can't say no to him.
---
This show has a very large cast. How do you plan to balance all of the characters?

Abrams: Well, everyone is in every show, but there will be a specific [leads]. Jack and Charlie and Kate [played by Matthew Fox, Dominic Monaghan and Evangeline Lilly] will somehow be in the center of most episodes. But what we're doing is, we're allowing it to focus on a character every episode. So you're really going to get to see who someone is in terms of the flashbacks. We're not going to do episodes where we'll have flashbacks of four or five different people in the episode. It would be too confusing.
---
Do the actors know what their stories will be?

Abrams: Some know, some don't. Very purposefully. ... Like, for example, there's a scene where [Josh Holloway's] character, Sawyer, is reading this note, but you have no idea what it is when you're watching it. We know what it is, and we talked to him, and that informs other stuff.
---
Probably the most mysterious character in the pilot is the one played by Terry O'Quinn. Can you talk about his story?

Abrams: Wait until you see where his character goes. I just read the fourth hour of the script, and that was better than the pitch. It's an amazing thing. And he's sort of at the center of it. He's incredible. I'm so happy for Terry O'Quinn to finally get a role where he can do all these different things. I never gave him much more than sort of being the official guy on Alias. And he's done amazing work before that, but I'm so happy to work with him in a way that's multi-layered.
---
The cast as a whole is also very diverse. Was it intentional to have different cultures and races represented?

Abrams: Here's the thing. If you have a plane crash and it's 100 percent any one race, you're going to be like, "It's an international flight and they're all white?" But we didn't go, "OK, we have to Benneton the show, and this guy's got to be black, this guy's got to be Middle Eastern." It just became what it is.

As we were working on it, these actors that we met and these characters that we were coming up with sort of demanded that they be not just guest stars. For example, Emilie de Ravin in the pilot is a guest star, but we were like, "No. She's so good and she's so bright and so sweet." We were like, "OK, we've got to bring her on as a regular." Yunjin [Kim] and Daniel [Kim] were initially going to be recurring. We were like, "No, they're too good." So it's a weird thing. But the cast aside, it's not like there weren't practical realities we had to consider. It was sort of like we said, "This is what has to happen." We can't say there's this pregnant woman and then never see her. I'm watching to see what happens to her.
---
Were there other people on the plane that we'll get to see in flashbacks?

Abrams: Oh, sure. Oh, definitely. We actually had that in the pilot. I mean, we cut so much from the pilot we're going to do later. But that's one of the things we're going to show.
---
Are there other people on the island that we'll see eventually?

Abrams: There could be.
---
Are you going to explain how the plane crashed?

Abrams: It's one of the things we're talking about that hasn't become a sort of headline for us, although it's certainly a question the characters are asking themselves.
---
Will they ever find out?

Abrams: My guess is that they will. But that's not a story that we've parsed out yet.
---
The crashed plane on the beach is a constantly looming reminder of the crash in the pilot episode. How was that done?

Abrams: It's insane what they did. When we started writing it, they found an L-1011. They bought it. It's a 777 in the story. But we found an L-1011. Just bought it, took it apart, cut it into 25 pieces, barged it—and we have this on film—from California to Hawaii. Put it back together again there, and built it. That whole thing was all there.
---
So is that going to be a permanent set piece?

Abrams: Yeah. We were shooting one day and the tide came up so high, higher than it had ever been, and it started washing out a tonnage of metal and they had to bring in the middle of the night these huge frames and huge pieces. And we shot it that day. I mean, it was insane doing this show. And no one got hurt. There were all these huge pieces of real, jagged metal. It was nuts.
---
The show has such high production values, is it going to be difficult to keep that up week after week?

Abrams: The pilot was more expensive, certainly. Honestly, most of it was the plane. It was hugely expensive to get this plane over there. There was no other way to do it. Though it's not a cheap show, there are a lot of shows that are more expensive than this show.

Everyone who saw the Alias pilot said, "You're never going to be able to do this every week." And we're going into our fourth season, and every week we've sort of done a version of that. Now, I think we've outdone ourselves a lot of times on episodes. There's some that don't work as well, obviously. But I've never felt like wow, the pilot worked one way and the show is another thing. To me, it was like it kept up a certain sort of quality. And I expect to do the same on Lost.
---
Do you have a long-term plan for the show?

Abrams: What we have right now is a really great end of year one and a really great end of year two. Now, whether that ends up happening is anyone's guess. If we're lucky enough to keep going, the end of year two might not happen until year five. It might happen the first episode of year two. Who knows? But we have an idea. I always say it's like driving in the fog, where you can vaguely make out where you're going, the shape of the place. And you're heading there. But you're going to find roads you never saw or thought you'd take. In fact, the closer you get, you might realize, oh, that wasn't it at all. I'm going there. You have to have a direction.
---
Do you have a final ending already in mind?

Abrams: The great thing is this: The ending of the series, it's either whoever's there gets off, or they've accepted where they are, or they die. Those are the three possible endings. And I feel like each of them could be done in a satisfying way, like, "Oh my God." So I'm not worried about ending the story. But I would hate to take people though a journey and at the end of the day not have some kind of deep, emotional satisfaction. So I'm very optimistic about the long term, but I'm only optimistic about that because I feel like the short term is working as well as it is.
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
caihuali
ForumsNet Member
Armenia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

20170802caihuali
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2017, 4:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

coach outlet online
mulberry handbags
ysl outlet
rolex watches
polo outlet
ugg outlet
pandora jewelry
ralph lauren polo shirts
fred perry polo shirts
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors outlet
cartier outlet
canada goose outlet
nike roshe one
reebok outlet store
longchamp handbags
fitflops shoes
coach outlet canada
louis vuitton outlet clearance
tory burch outlet
michael kors handbags
swarovski outlet
montblanc pens
rolex watches for sale
nike trainers
coach factory outlet
cheap jerseys wholesale
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren
nike shoes
oakley sunglasses
michael kors handbags
kate spade outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
cheap jordans
omega watches
air max 90
mulberry handbags
cheap jordans
tory burch outlet
reebok trainers
pandora jewelry
oakley sunglasses wholesale
cheap nfl jerseys
louis vuitton
ralph lauren polo
adidas nmd
tory burch outlet
kate spade outlet
michael kors outlet
yeezy boost
futbol baratas
michael kors outlet
nike free 5
pandora outlet
nike roshe
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet online
nike air max
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
nike air max
rolex watches
nike shoes
true religion jeans
converse shoes
coach outlet
michael kors handbags
longchamp bags
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
ugg outlet
cheap jordan shoes
adidas shoes
polo outlet
louis vuitton outlet
cleveland cavaliers jersey
fitflops sale clearance
louis vuitton outlet clearance
longchamp outlet
michael kors bags
polo ralph lauren
true religion jeans
Basketball Shoes
replica watches
coach outlet online
nike outlet
louis vuitton outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
coach handbags
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren polo
burberry outlet
mbt shoes
cheap uggs outlet,cheap uggs for sale,cheap ugg boots,cheap uggs for kids,cheap uggs for women,cheap uggs bailey bow,cheap uggs china,cheap uggs for men,cheap uggs for girls,cheap uggs boots for women
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
nike outlet store
football shirts
christian louboutin outlet
nike store
true religion jeans
adidas outlet store
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
hermes belt
canada goose jackets
oakley sunglasses
herve leger outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet
canada goose jackets
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
coach outlet
mulberry handbags
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
lebron james shoes
ralph lauren outlet
tory burch shoes
ray ban sunglasses
ugg outlet
rolex outlet
burberry outlet
oakley sunglasses
true religion jeans
supra shoes
coach outlet
pandora outlet
hollister clothing
ralph lauren polo
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
swarovski crystal
true religion outlet
michael kors outlet
mbt shoes
nike roshe run
kobe shoes
nfl jersey wholesale
Nike Free shoes
polo outlet
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
nfl jerseys wholesale
canada goose outlet
lebron james shoes
basketball shoes
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet,ugg outlet store,uggs outlet,ugg outlet online clearance,ugg outlet coupons,ugg outlet boots,ugg outlet online store,ugg outlet sale
jordan shoes
hermes birkin
cheap jordans
nike store uk
soccer shoes
prada outlet
mulberry bags
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors
yeezy boost 350
canada goose outlet
nike outlet store
polo ralph lauren
nike blazer pas cher
ferragamo shoes
longchamp handbags
kate spade handbags
mulberry outlet
canada goose outlet
true religion jeans
nike huarache
fitflops
polo outlet
fitflops outlet
nike foamposite
ferragamo shoes
ralph lauren pas cher
canada goose outlet
rolex watches
adidas shoes
vans shoes
coach outlet online
ferragamo shoes
swarovski crystal
asics
fitflops sale
coach outlet
borse louis vuitton
coach outlet clearance
louis vuitton outlet
polo ralph lauren
mlb jerseys wholesale
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
polo shirts
swarovski crystal
birkenstock sandals
polo ralph lauren
mont blanc pens
longchamp outlet
adidas nmd runner
ray ban sunglasses
true religion uk
canada goose outlet
christian louboutin uk
longchamp bags
ferragamo shoes
cazal sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
ferragamo outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
fitflops sale clearance
mulberry sale
louis vuitton
kevin durant shoes
fitflops shoes
adidas trainers
tods outlet
michael kors outlet
prada shoes
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
mizuno running shoes
polo outlet
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton outlet
ferragamo outlet
ugg boots,ugg boots outlet,cheap uggs boots,ugg boots for women,ugg boots on sale,ugg boots clearance,ugg boots clearance sale women,ugg boots clearance outlet,ugg boots for men,ugg boots for kids
oakley sunglasses
air jordan 4
ray ban sunglasses
ecco shoes
burberry outlet
ferragamo outlet
adidas outlet
pandora jewelry
coach outlet online
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet,uggs outlet,ugg outlet online clearance,ugg outlet store,ugg outlet coupons,ugg outlet boots,ugg outlet online store,ugg outlet sale
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets
kobe 9
coach outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet clearance
kate spade outlet
prada sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
ugg boots clearance,ugg boots,ugg boots outlet,ugg boots for women,ugg boots on sale,ugg boots for men,ugg boots for kids,ugg boots clearance sale women,ugg boots clearance outlet
ugg boots for women,ugg boots,ugg boots outlet,ugg boots on sale,ugg boots clearance,ugg boots for men,ugg boots for kids,ugg boots clearance sale women,ugg boots clearance outlet
hollister clothing
cheap jordans
coach outlet
air max 90
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses
michael kors wallets
true religion jeans
marc jacobs outlet
mcm outlet
nike air max
michael kors outlet
michael kors
oakley sunglasses
chrome hearts
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton handbags
lacoste soldes
cheap oakley sunglasses
cartier watches
oakley sunglasses
cartier watches
giuseppe zanotti outlet
new balance shoes
salomon shoes
louis vuitton handbags
rolex watches
coach outlet store online
air max uk
coach outlet
nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren sale
longchamp handbags
christian louboutin online
instyler ionic styler
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors factory outlet
tory burch outlet
canada goose outlet
ugg outlet clearance,ugg outlet online clearance,ugg outlet,uggs outlet,ugg outlet store,ugg outlet coupons,ugg outlet boots,ugg outlet online store,ugg outlet sale
louis vuitton pas cher
oakley sunglasses
ugg boots
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
coach factory outlet
prada handbags
ugg outlet,ugg outlet sale,uggs outlet,ugg outlet online clearance,ugg outlet store,ugg outlet coupons,ugg outlet boots,ugg outlet online store
coach outlet online
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton
mac cosmetics
ralph lauren polo
swarovski crystal
coach outlet online
gucci outlet
cheap ray bans
ray bans
true religion jeans
oakley sunglasses
fitflops sale clearance
air max uk
oakley sunglasses
los angeles lakers jerseys
puma outlet
ray bans
canada goose
lacoste polo shirts
louis vuitton outlet
links of london
ugg boots,ugg boots outlet,ugg boots for women,ugg boots on sale,ugg boots clearance,ugg boots for men,ugg boots for kids,ugg boots clearance sale women,ugg boots clearance outlet
air max 90
thomas sabo
true religion jeans
true religion outlet
ray ban sunglasses
cheap snapbacks
kate spade handbags
nike trainers
michael kors outlet clearance
hermes bags
pandora jewelry
nba jerseys
nike huarache
gucci outlet
nike air force 1
adidas shoes
louis vuitton outlet
nike shoes
rolex watches
coach outlet online
longchamp outlet
nike air max 2015
polo ralph lauren
ray ban sunglasses
replica watches
cheap snapbacks
bottega veneta outlet
burberry outlet
adidas uk
polo outlet
gucci outlet
ugg outlet,ugg outlet clearance,uggs outlet,ugg outlet online clearance,ugg outlet store,ugg outlet online store,ugg outlet sale,ugg outlet coupons,ugg outlet boots
true religion jeans
louis vuitton outlet
fitflops
coach outlet
cheap nba jerseys
cartier watches
hollister clothing
louis vuitton outlet stores
juicy couture outlet
air max 1
valentino outlet
oakley sunglasses
true religion outlet
borse gucci
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
tory burch outlet
michael kors
birkenstock outlet
nike air max
canada goose jackets
jordan shoes
hermes outlet
hollister clothing
louis vuitton
cheap nhl jerseys
hollister clothing
coach factory outlet
mulberry handbags
true religion jeans
air max 90
cartier outlet
gucci outlet
canada goose outlet
cheap jordans
chrome hearts outlet
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren uk
nfl jersey wholesale
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren polo
soccer jerseys
ralph lauren uk
pandora charms
soccer jerseys
michael kors handbags
gucci handbags
rolex watches
coach outlet
ed hardy clothing
michael kors outlet
mbt shoes outlet
adidas wings
ray ban sunglasses
mulberry outlet store
louis vuitton outlet
mulberry bags
jordan shoes
pandora charms
kobe bryant shoes
swarovski outlet
michael kors
michael kors
cheap mlb jerseys
20170802caihuali
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

No topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.