Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 12:29am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « The Lost Experience - alternate reality game »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Lost
(Moderators: yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   The Lost Experience - alternate reality game
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Lost Experience - alternate reality game  (Read 2048 times)
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

The Lost Experience - alternate reality game
« on: Apr 28th, 2006, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Lost' tech game will go global

Viewers will have to share info online to solve mystery

By MAGZ OSBORNE

With ABC, U.K.'s Channel 4 and Australia's Seven Network leading the
way, 20 broadcasters around the world will launch "Lost Experience," a
high-tech game based on the Alphabet series "Lost."

Billed as the largest global interactive challenge based on a TV
series, the game has different clues that will be released in various
countries, forcing viewers worldwide to share information online to
solve the mystery.

Clues will first appear Tuesday in the U.K., May 3 in the U.S. and May
4 in Australia.

"Lost" is the fastest-selling TV series in Buena Vista Intl.
Television's history, having been licensed in more than 210
territories.

The marketing initiative incorporates broadcasters from five
continents, following a parallel storyline not featured in the TV
show.

In the Asia Pacific region, AXN, Channel 5 Singapore, New Zealand's
TVNZ, South Korea's CJ Media and Star India will take part.

Targeting "Lost" aficionados and novices, ABC said no prior knowledge
of the show is necessary; the game is a hook to win new viewers as
well as entertain existing fans.

"It's like a giant, mysterious jigsaw puzzle that will come to life
for all the world to solve, whether you are a fan of the TV series or
not," said Mike Benson, ABC Entertainment senior VP of marketing.

"Lost Experience" also takes account of different broadcast windows
around the world and does not depend on information specific to either
season.

Although the challenge is Internet-based, organizers said clues may
appear on other platforms or new media.

"As part of the unique marketing initiative, 'Lost Experience' gives
the mystery, intrigue, twist and turns that 'Lost' provides as a
television series," Benson added.

"This additional form of storytelling is part of the future of great
TV drama, and we are thrilled to be onboard," said Tim Worner,
director of programming and production for Oz's Seven.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117942033&c=18
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2006, 2:20pm by yesteach » IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: The Lost Experience
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 8:08pm »

Anyone interested in setting up a thread to record clues to work through the puzzle?
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 2:06pm »

Maybe it all adds up online
The "Lost Experience" develops a related story on the Internet. The clues are everywhere.
By Maria Elena Fernandez, Times Staff Writer
April 28, 2006

Get ready to get more "Lost" than ever.

Beginning Wednesday, when the popular mystery drama returns to the ABC schedule with original episodes for the entire month, fans will have new and, of course, mysterious ways to get clued into a new "Lost" world that begins on the Internet but also will take advantage of "other platforms that are out there in the real world," according to ABC executives.

The show's executive producers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, have created the "Lost Experience," so assume it will be complex and addicting. But what is it exactly, and are those "other platforms" perhaps those gadgets we call cellphones and iPods?

"I'd have to kill you if I told you," joked Steve McPherson, ABC's president of prime-time entertainment. "It's an all-encompassing experience for the extremely dedicated fan who wants to extend their experience with the show beyond the weekly viewing. It's Internet, it's mythology, it's puzzle-solving and it's games. It's groundbreaking in that sense that it's never been done before, but it's hard to put it into a single sentence to describe it."

This much has been gleaned: The "Lost Experience" is a story that is related to but separate from the television series, includes the same characters, expands familiar plots and will have run its course by the beginning of next season. To enjoy the experience, you do not have to be a dedicated "Lost" viewer, and fans who do not participate on the Internet will not be at a loss when watching the show.

"You might think of it as 'Harry Potter,' " said Mike Benson, ABC's senior vice president of marketing. "You don't necessarily have to see the first one to enjoy the second one. The great thing that Carlton and Damon have done in writing this story line is that it reaches back into season one, looks at the current season and goes forward into the future."

To find the new adventure, you must watch the show's entire May 3 episode. TiVo and DVR-users be warned: There are clues in the commercials as well.

"It's TiVo-proof," Benson said. "We will surprise the audience with where and how things are placed as far as clues and content and information. The whole experience is designed to dig deep and find lots of interesting stuff."
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 2:19pm »

And another...
-------------
To Counter the Doldrums During Summer Reruns, 'Lost' Fans Can Get Lost in a Game Online
By LIA MILLER

ABC's hit show "Lost" will end its second season on May 24 with a two-hour season finale. But plans to keep ardent fans happy during the summer reruns are under way.

The Lost Experience, an interactive, multiplatform game, will begin in early May and echo the story of the TV show, which follows a group of people whose airplane crashes on an enchanted island full of supernatural mysteries and threats.

The game, of a genre called alternate-reality games, is a multimedia treasure hunt that makes use of e-mail messages, phone calls, commercials, billboards and fake Web sites that are made to seem real. The first successful such game was used to promote the Steven Spielberg film "A.I."

What's different about the Lost Experience, which will feature new characters, is that it is being devised by the show's writers, not by marketers, according to Michael Benson, a senior vice president at ABC. He said broadcasters from around the world would release clues in a variety of formats and that players would have to join forces online to solve them. Mr. Benson also said that any new information or clues revealed in the Lost Experience would be applicable to the TV show's story as well.

"You have to give the audience something to connect to. I want to prove to the audience that this is something they will enjoy, that is organic to the show," he said. "I don't want the audience to feel like 'they are just selling to me or marketing to me.' "

Carlton Cuse, a writer and executive producer of "Lost," who is also one of the creators of the Lost Experience, said that the idea was conceived at a lunch that included Mr. Benson and Damon Lindelof, one of the show's creators. "We wanted to tell stories in a nontraditional way, and there were certain stories that Damon and I were interested in telling that don't exactly fit into the television show."

He is also enthusiastic that the game will give fans the opportunity to engage more fully in the story. "We purposely design the show with a big amount of ambiguity so people can theorize about what a certain scene means. This allows the fans to participate in the process of discovery."

The game will start on May 3. "Watch the May 3rd episode very carefully," Mr. Cuse said. "You can TiVo it, but don't skip the commercials."
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: The Lost Experience - alternate reality game
« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2006, 6:45pm »

The game has begun... with an advert for Hanso Foundation during the UK showing of the premiere of Season 2.  An 800 number was given to phone for the password for the new Hanso site (which by the way is back up and running).

IP Logged

Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2006, 1:12pm »

I'll try and help
IP Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2006, 1:35am »

Apparently tonight's number and clue were the same one that was given in the UK yesterday.. Sad  Was hoping for something new...
IP Logged

Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2006, 12:06pm »

Same here, I have perused the site a little but am not very good at this sort of thing. Will get into it in depth soon.
IP Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 7th, 2006, 1:54pm »

I wish I had the time to do something like this. Sad

IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2006, 4:19pm »

I have a bad feeling I'm gonna spend waaaay too much time in front of the computer this summer.. LOL
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:21pm »

The newest clue is a newspaper advert condeming Gary Troup's new book Bad Twin.  It appeared in several papers today - Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago.  It's a 3/4 page ad according to reports.  I seldom read the paper, so I don't know if there was an appearance anywhere here.. I may check and see if I can locate it in a Dallas or Houston paper, those would be the best bet.  Here's a link to the Philly page:

http://newspaperads.philly.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=408750
IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:22pm »

There is a rumor going around that Steven King wrote the book for them, as he's a huge fan of the show.
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Also, The Fuselage has started a list of confirmed clues.. if anyone is interested in checking them out, here's the link:
http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=46480

If you all are interested, I'll bump this up when they add new clues so you know there's something new there..
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:39pm »

And now a new website, supposedly a link/password for the Hanso site.

http://www.sublymonal.com/

IP Logged

Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 10th, 2006, 10:13am »

It gives a password and a link back to the bios page  hmmmm.....
IP Logged

Frank Sinatra
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.