Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:04pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « A Tale of Two Cities (October 4) »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Lost
(Moderators: yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   A Tale of Two Cities (October 4)
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Tale of Two Cities (October 4)  (Read 1627 times)
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

A Tale of Two Cities (October 4)
« on: Sep 11th, 2006, 12:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"It was the best of times... it was the worst of times...."

That's the title folks.. speculate away.
-----------

A TALE OF TWO CITIES - OCTOBER 4 - 8:00 CST

Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are held in unique circumstances by the mysterious "Others". Meanwhile, back on the beach, a struggle for leadership and direction begins as Hurley makes his way back home with bad news.
Writer: J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2006, 8:47pm by yesteach » IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: A Tale of Two Cities (October 4)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 10:50pm »

WE HAVE PICTURES!!!!!

Apparently this is a Jack centric epi, not Kate... for the promotional pics, check Lost-media
http://gallery.lost-media.com/thumbnails.php?album=1164
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 10:52pm »

PRODUCTION BEGINS IN HAWAII ON THIRD SEASON EPISODES OF THE AWARD WINNING, ACTION-PACKED MYSTERY AND ADVENTURE SERIES, "LOST"

Series Season Premiere is October 4

"Lost" - awarded the 2005 Emmy and 2006 Golden Globe for best drama series - has begun production in Hawaii on third season episodes of action-packed mystery and adventure -- that will continue to bring out the very best and the very worst in the people who are lost. The series will have its season premiere WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

After Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, its survivors were forced to find inner strength they never knew they had in order to survive. But they discovered that the island holds many secrets, including a mysterious smoke monster, polar bears, a strange French woman and another group of island residents known as "The Others." The survivors have also found signs of those who came to the island before them, including a 19th century sailing ship called The Black Rock, the remains of an ancient statue and bunkers belonging to the Dharma Initiative, a group of scientific researchers.

Jack, Kate and Sawyer open the season in captivity as prisoners of "The Others." Just who these "Others" are and what they want are primary questions Season Three will explore. Michael Emerson joins the regular cast in his ongoing role as Henry Gale, leader of "The Others." Romance looms on the horizon as Jack's interests veer towards a mysterious new woman, whose motives may be questionable. Sun and Jin will continue to celebrate their pregnancy - but is the child really Jin's? Locke and Sayid will band together with some of the other survivors and journey across the island in an attempt to free Jack, Kate and Sawyer. Charlie will attempt to return into the good graces of Claire and her baby, Aaron, but can he be trusted to stay clean and sober? The fates of Locke, Desmond and Mr. Eko in the aftermath of the implosion of the hatch are answered. Will Penny Widmore find the island and her long, lost love, Desmond, and can the survivors find a way to interact with the outside world?

The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must continue to work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain if they want to stay alive. But as they have discovered during their 60-plus days on the island, danger and mystery loom behind every corner, and those they thought could be trusted may turn against them. Even heroes have secrets.

"Lost" stars Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Mr. Eko, Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Henry Ian Cusick as Desmond, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Henry Gale, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet, Dominic Monaghan as Charlie and Terry O'Quinn as Locke.

"Lost" was created by Jeffrey Lieber and J.J. Abrams & Damon Lindelof. Abrams, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Jack Bender, Jeff Pinkner and Carlton Cuse serve as executive producers. "Lost," which is filmed entirely on location in Hawaii and premiered on September 22, 2004, is from Touchstone Television.

ABC Media Relations Contact:
IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 8:54pm »

According to tv guide, this episode is a Jack flashback episode focusing on his suspicions that his wife is cheating on him with his father.  eewwwwwwww  Shocked
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 10:14pm »

I think that's who she was having the affair with... we decided that when he and Ana picked names for each other and he picked "Sarah" for Ana... and I've have to agree... ewwwww.. Tongue
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 8:31pm »

four more days!!!!!!!!!  I am soooooo ready for this... I'm having LOST withdrawals!!!
IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:33pm »

The Doc Is (Back) In

Jeff Jensen, EW's resident expert on all things ''Lost,'' has seen the season premiere! Here are his first impressions...

It's here.

Finally.

IN MY OFFICE.

The season premiere of Lost.  

I have watched it. TWICE.  

What can I tell you?  

For starters, the first five minutes = pure Lost genius.  

The rest of it is pretty damn good, too.  

It's a typical Lost premiere. Think of it as an overture, filled with thematic motifs and melodies to be elaborated upon throughout the season.  

It even begins with real musical overture, just like last season. Last year, it was Mama Cass singing ''Make Your Own Kind of Music.'' This year, it's Petula Clark singing ''Downtown.'' You know the tune: ''When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go... Downtown!''

Here are some of my in-the-moment reactions/thoughts/questions about the episode, titled ''A Tale of Two Cities.'' I tried to make these as cryptic as possible, but if you wish to preserve your own first-time experience of the season premiere, you better skip this part. In NO particular order:  

Better renew my library card — looks like I'm going to need it for this season, too.  

She looks sad. Why?  

I'd love to know what inspired the line that the guy says about ''science fiction.''  

It's a twister! It's a twister! It's...  

...not a twister.  

Why does that character suddenly remind me of the Wicked Witch of the West?  

Isn't he a take-charge kind of guy! (But why do I sense he might not be the most well-liked guy on his block?)  

One of the BEST Lost lines EVER.  

Wasn't that the song that Sayid and Hurley heard on the radio at the end of ''The Long Con," the one that prompted Hurley to speculate about time travel? Funny we're hearing it again, in a flashback...  

He has a bandage...  

She has a bandage, too...  

But how come he doesn't?  

Okay, Mr. Friendly: What IS your type?  

So... is there a Romeo wherefore arting around someplace?  

Why is Julie Bowen smiling as she walks away from Jack?  

Why does the COMMUNICATE box do the strange thing that it does?  

Why is the boy forced to apologize?  

In light of what happens later in the episode, how important is it that Jack is warned about the possibility of hallucinations?  

What do you think that biscuit tastes like?  

How did they compile that file?  

Unless, of course, the file is pure bluff.  

Of course. He even looks like a rat.  

Yes, friends, you DO get answers to significant Island-mythology questions, including: where The Others live; a sense of how they live; Henry Gale's real first name (hint: Mr. Creepy and I have something very personal in common); a more logistically expansive understanding of the Dharma Initiative (the closest I can come to a hint is to remind you of the specific areas of Dharma study: psychology, parapsychology, zoology, meteorology, and electromagnetism). HOWEVER, in typical Lost fashion, these answers are presented in ways that pose bunches of new questions. (What's the significance of ''two weeks''? How does Mr. Friendly know about what was accomplished in just ''two hours''?)  

Nonetheless, these new questions are deliciously intriguing and certainly provide plenty of mystery meat for Lost theorists to chew on. The episode even has Jack giving explicit voice to a very popular hypothesis as to the identity of the Others. The response he gets from his captors is Lost-in-a-nutshell: not a confirmation, but not a denial, and as such, very intriguing.  

But not frustrating. At least, not to me. The reason is Jack's flashbacks. Yes, this is an episode that's full of teases. But it's also an episode that means something, and by the end, you get a sense that Jack has at least BEGUN to turn a corner in wrestling with the personal demons that he's brought with him to the Island. And when you take the very last scene in Jack's flashback story, and place it in the Big Picture context of what we know about Jack's daddy issues, and in particular the scene in the very first episode of Lost in which his mother asks him to go to Australia and fetch his father — well, the implications are devastating, and you begin to realize that Jack's unresolved inner turmoil is a lot more complicated than mere ''I Wish My Drunk Disapproving Daddy Loved Me Better.''  

After two viewings, I'm still reeling. My Doc Jensen theorizing faculties are fully ACTIVATED. In the coming weeks, you're going to see some crazy crap spill out of this brain of mine, filled with all the possibly relevant/probably-just-nutty pop connections and pretentious blather you've come to expect from me. If you want to get a head start on the homework/headaches, here's what you should be boning up on:  

Don DeLillo's Underworld. Alan Moore's V For Vendetta. Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The Book of Revelations. The Greek word thipsis. John Mayer's ''Waiting for the World to Change.'' Creed's ''My Own Prison.'' The lost continent of Mu. All things H.G. Wells. Pink Floyd. George Orwell. The defunct performance art/electronica band The KLF. The word oulipo.  

And dolphins.  

Oh, and there's a shout-out to a certain iconic EW columnist in the first minutes of the episode. I'd ask you to become acquainted with his many, many famous works... but I'm sure you're already intimately familiar with the great Stephen King.  

FYI: The episode is called ''A Tale of Two Cities.'' Yep: more conspicuous literary name dropping — although you MUST let me know what you think of the wink-wink/nudge-nudge early scene with newcomer Elizabeth Mitchell (first impression: a sterling addition) and the dude with the glasses. My sense is that this very ironic scene will be one of the most discussed sequences from the premiere. But I risk giving too much away by explaining further.  

It wouldn't be a Doc Jensen column without a theory. Or two. Or 10. So I leave you for now with the following. Last spring, in EW's cover story about Lost, I wrote that the best theory of Lost is that it's an allegory for itself. That theory was very much on my mind as I watched the season premiere, which I'm sure will be accused of (or praised for) being rather self-conscious. Jack's obsessive quest for the answer to a burning question is not unlike, say, a certain EW writer's obsessive search for a super-string theory of Lost. Sawyer's struggle to figure out the mechanical puzzle in his cell could be fans like me, trying to figure out the proper combination of button-pushing that will get me the Cracker Jack prize I desire — but it could also be symbolic of the show's writing process, too. As for Kate's sad debasement in the season premiere, well... in order for me to talk more about the spiritual cost of making choices for self-preservation's sake, I'd have to tell you about the thing on the hanger and the bloody wrists. But those are spoilers.  

However, each of these character arcs has something in common: In the end, there is nourishment. It's not always tasty, and it's not always as much as we would like. But it's enough (at least, until the next meal/episode), and better yet, it just might be really, really good for us, in ways we don't immediately recognize.  

I think the burning question for fans of the show is this: Do we trust Lost? If we do... why? And if we don't... why? And in both cases, does the answer lie with the show and its makers, or in ourselves?  

This is something I wrote to a friend in an e-mail right after seeing the episode: ''The obsessive pursuit for answers, for so-called TRUTH, is often undertaken by a seeker who, ironically, is assiduously avoiding/denying hard, painful truths about him/herself. In fact, said seeker may be looking for external answers that will get him off the hook of addressing internal answers. This is Jack. This is me. This is EVERYONE.''

And while I'm being ridiculously, embarrassingly, pathetically high-minded, this is something I found in a book called Massive Change that I read the same night that I watched the premiere:  

''Most of the time, we live our lives within invisible systems, blissfully unaware of the artificial life, the intensely designed infrastructures that support them. Accidents, disasters, crises — [when] systems fail we become temporarily conscious of the extraordinary force and power of design, and the effects that it generates. Every accident provides a brief moment of awareness of real life, what is actually happening, and our dependence on the underlying systems of design. Every plane crash is a rupture, a shock to the system, precisely because our experience of flight is so carefully designed away from the reality of the event. As we sip champagne, read the morning paper, and settle in before takeoff, we choose not to experience the torque, the thrust, the speed, the altitude, the temperature, the thousands of pounds of explosive jet fuels cradled beneath us, the infinite complexity of onboard systems, and the very real risks and dangers of takeoff and landing.''

What does this all mean? I don't know. Yet.  

But as I drove to work this morning to write this, I found myself stuck behind a slow-moving car that had a bumper sticker on it that read — and I kid you not — ''Namaste.'' How's that for a Lost-esque coincidence?  

Clearly, someone's trying to tell me I'm onto something.  

Or not.  

Welcome to a new season of Lost.  

And welcome back to my trip into crazyland.  

— Doc J  

(Posted:10/02/06)

IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 6:58am »

:dance::dance::dance::dance::

13 hours until I get to see LOST... CheesyCheesyCheesyCheesyCheesyCheesy

(yeah, I'm a little excited!!)
IP Logged

ilove2dance
ForumsNet Member
Puerto_Rico 

Greetings from Puerto Rico!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 7:11am »

Glad LOST is back! But my TIVO didn't record the last moments again.  What happened after Juliette was going to give Jack the food and water at the end? Did they show next week shorts? DO tell!!
IP Logged
Phase3
ForumsNet Member
USA 

In the country of the blind the 1-eyed man is king

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 11:09pm »

If I recall correctly, she didn't give him the food.  Out in the hall that squirrelly guy who's the head of The Others thanked her and that was it from what I remember.

It looks like next week we finally get to see how our group on the beach take the news after Hurley finally rolls back into camp.

BTW - I was really frustrated w/ this first eppy.  It was all about Jack, Kate and Sawyer.  No mention of poor Hurley trying to sweat his way back to camp, or of Walt and Dad heading out to sea.

Seems to me that since they were concentrating on J, K and S, they could at least have found out why there were being treated like test subjects.  The whole eppy didn't make much sense to me and left me a little disappointed.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2006, 11:11pm by Phase3 » IP Logged

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.

Thomas Paine

Im_Lost
ForumsNet Member
USA 

trapsteryadig
View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 10:53am »

well i think through out the whole season their barely gonna show anything of michael and walt
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 6:45pm »

Michael's no longer listed as a "character" from what I've heard... I didn't watch closely to see if he was listed Wednesday night.  Walt supposedly will be back this season, because they said his "growth spurt" would be explained in season 3...  

As for Michael, they said he would only have "guest spots"... maybe flashbacks??
IP Logged

AoM
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Biomajorbeth
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 10:13am »

I thought this eppy kicked butt!!  I was floored at the first five minutes, I couldn't even shut my mouth to stop gaping!  
And I really really hope it was all misleading and Sarah wasn't dating his father.  Maybe Jack's father WANTED sarah, hence the Ana name thing, but he either chose not to, or she was with someone else.

Baaaad Dad
IP Logged
tattooedbeauty
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Happy Thanksgiving.

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:51am »

Was the person Sarah dating Ben aka..Henry GaleHuh
IP Logged

Happy Autumn.

Survivor China Winner- Todd.

AR winner- Rachel & TK

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:29pm »

on Oct 11th, 2006, 6:51am, tattooedbeauty wrote:
Was the person Sarah dating Ben aka..Henry GaleHuh

I think the only person she was dating was the younger guy that it showed her with at the school, and as she was leaving the jail after bailing out Jack.  

My personal thought is (based on what I saw last week, and Jack's dad choosing Sarah as the "name" for Ana) is that maybe Dad persued Sarah, but she didn't feel the same about him... was "friends" to her and maybe he was hoping for more??

I think Jack became obsessed because she wouldn't tell him, and when his dad's phone rang (from Sarah's call list) he just started making assumptions (and you know what they say about "ass"uming things.. Smiley) because he wanted someone to blame.... rather than just accept that HE was never there for her so she found someone else... I think he just needs to alleviate his own guilt by placing blame on someone else (sleeping with my wife comment).

I want to go back and watch the episode in season 1 where Jack and Sarah get married, and see how his dad responds to things in that one.
IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 4:50pm »

Choosing Sarah's name would also be ironic since he was picking a name for his protector, and it was "Sarah" (or the thought of her) in the end that destroyed what was left of his relationship with his son.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.